Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #1201 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

That's so adorable CJ! I'm really glad you take such care of your fry, I mean, that would be really bad if you didn't XD

My two boys Steve and Tony have grown up so much already! Once I moved them to the 5.5 they grew like the weeds everyone else had been telling me about! lol So I do suggest getting a bigger tank if you can! It's really worth it and it will be their permanent home so it's even easier

Steve ate a whole NLS pellet today! I accidentally dropped it in thinking I had split it already but I guess I didn't and he gobbled it all down! I was so proud of him, Tony's still got a bit of growing left to do to do the same but he's getting there Hopefully I can get some "before/after" pics up here soon. I mean they're not full grown but y'all can see their progress!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #1202 
TheOnlyCanvas

I purchased some frozen BBS (it was all they had unfortunately) and Pheonix is eating like there's no tomorrow! It was a relief to come home and find the little one still cruising around the tank.

I also got another live plant and a little pagoda for him/her to hide in, although s/he's not so sure about it at the moment.

And I did get a 5 gallon. I'm moving in about a month, though. Do you have to cycle a five gallon? If so, I think I'll hold off on putting him/her into it until after the move so that things are bit more stable.

And that triple tap trick is really neat! I might just teach my baby that trick. Might try it with my full-grown boys, too.
TheOnlyCanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:30 AM   #1203 
TheOnlyCanvas

One day of good food and warm, clean water and Phoenix started showing some color!
Is it just me, or does s/he look like s/he may have potential to be a crowntail?

Also an important question: I have a preset heater in the tank. Normally it keeps the water right at 80 degrees, but the weather got cooler suddenly last night and when I woke up this morning the tank had dropped to 77! Poor thing was clinging to the top of the water where it was warmest. Are there any adjustable heaters safe for a 2.5, or should I get the 25w adjustable Hydor and set up the 5 gallon to avoid the swings?
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2013, 11:02 AM   #1204 
TexasRose

[quote=TheOnlyCanvas;2433226]One day of good food and warm, clean water and Phoenix started showing some color!
Is it just me, or does s/he look like s/he may have potential to be a crowntail?

Also an important question: I have a preset heater in the tank. Normally it keeps the water right at 80 degrees, but the weather got cooler suddenly last night and when I woke up this morning the tank had dropped to 77! Poor thing was clinging to the top of the water where it was warmest. Are there any adjustable heaters safe for a 2.5, or should I get the 25w adjustable Hydor and set up the 5 gallon to avoid the swings?[/QUOT.

I bought an ehime ( not sure I spelled it right) for my 2.5 and it is adjustable and works like a charm. Initially, I was scared because I bought a 50 watt heater. So, before using it I calibrated the heater and the temperature has always been 79-80 degrees. I had to put it diagonally in my tank because the heater is long. My "Lizzie" was just as young as yours and she is doing very well so far.

Good luck!

Ps. I have my temp set at 80.

Last edited by TexasRose; 06-29-2013 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Spelled a word wrong
TexasRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #1205 
TiffanyP

Hello everyone! I got my baby betta at Petco 10 days ago, and I must say things are going swimmingly (pun intended haha). Because of temporary space limitations I have my fishy in a 1 gallon tank with a mini heater - once I'm able to move into my apartment I'll get a bigger tank, but for right now my fishy seems to be thriving so I'm not worried.

If you noticed, I haven't been calling it a he or a she yet because well - I'm just not certain. I've looked at tons of websites and my fish seems to fit under some of both qualities of a male and of a female and no two websites say exactly the same thing.

Using this chart (http://www.bettatalk.com/fry_growth.htm) I estimate my fishy to be about 8 weeks old or on the small side of 9 weeks. I've loved watching it grow!

I'm no stranger to bettas, but I've only ever bought and kept them when they were full grown, so this whole baby betta thing is new to me. Maybe those of you more experienced with baby bettas could help me figure out if my fish is a male or a female? So I can give it a name instead of just 'fishy' haha

Here's some pictures:
1. When I first got it and brought it home

2. Taken this morning, 10 days after I got it, without flash

3. Also taken this morning, 10 days after I got it, WITH flash

Thanks for your help, and bear with me if I don't respond right away - I'm still getting used to this site.

--Tiffany
TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #1206 
TiffanyP

Seems like the pictures didn't work... this link should work to see them then: http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/tiffanyp2007/library/

Or if you right click on it and click 'open in new tab' it opened just fine for me :)

Last edited by TiffanyP; 06-29-2013 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Afterthought
Old 06-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #1207 
TheOnlyCanvas

Welcome to the forum! Your baby is so cute!

Unfortunately I'm not help with sexing young fish haha. It looks like you're doing a pretty darn good job with him/her! How soon are you moving? Bigger tanks are much better for growing babies :)
Old 06-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #1208 
TiffanyP

Thanks :) I've done quite a bit of research and I *think* he's a male, so I've been calling him Alaric, but I'm not positive - hence why I came here!

I'm a live-in nanny/housekeeper and my apartment is the basement, but it has some flooding issues right now, so as soon as the sump pump is replaced and functioning properly, and the drywall has been put back up I'll be moving down there. So anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks yet. If I notice that he's getting stressed or not his normal swimmy self, I'll upgrade and keep him on the bathroom counter (the only space big enough in my temporary room for a tank bigger than 1 gallon).

I'll post updated pics in his album, found here: http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/ti...y/Sir%20Alaric
Old 06-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #1209 
TheOnlyCanvas

Awesome! Alaric is such a great name :D And I love the colors you picked for the tank - they're perfect. It's hard to believe that's a 1 gallon because the fishie is just so tiny!
Old 06-29-2013, 07:14 PM   #1210 
BittyB

How small can females get? I was at my Petco and noticed they had a bunch of females right now that maybe are a 1 1/2 inch long so I figured they might be very young.
BittyB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta