Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #1261 
TiffanyP

Okay, it was the .5 mm food for 'small fish'... I'll check closer and see if its the grow formula. If it's not, is it still okay to feed to him?
TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #1262 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh sure! Not a problem! I use regular NLS pellets that are 1mm so the .5mm should be just right for him in that case. My little ones take the 1mm no problem now although a few are still a little big. As long as it's a higher quality food than say Aqueon or Topfin, you should be fine
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #1263 
logisticsguy

Yes its ok just not as good for growing fish imo.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #1264 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

^ agreed but if it's all you can get to, it's better than nothing or worse quality food. But yes of course frozen foods and live foods would be a much better option I personally don't have access easily to frozen foods around me, although I think I saw one of my LFS has some in! I'll have to check again when I have money
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #1265 
TiffanyP

Okay, I'll try and find the grow formula then :) if not I'm sure he'll be fine with the regular stuff (if he'll eat it, the picky little stinker lol) He's grown so much but he's still just a little whipper snapper yet. Thanks for all of your advice :)
Old 07-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #1266 
logisticsguy

The difference between NLS small fish formula and nls grow is that grow has more fatty acids (energy) and small fish has vegetables. If you look at my fat lil fish its easy to see lol. Also live new hatch bbs when they are under 8-9 weeks really gets them growing. Be careful to not overfeed fry. Its best to feed young fish often without gut stuffing them.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #1267 
TiffanyP

I try to feed him just a little bit about 3 times a day. But since I've been crushing his food, naturally some of it is powder which clouds up the water really fast. I'm trying to find an alternative that he'll eat that won't cloud up the water so quickly - these every other day water changes aren't easy on me, or on him. I'm trying to cut it down to about twice a week - I don't want to go much longer than that since he's in a small tank for the time being. Only a few more weeks and he'll get to move into a mansion! I can't wait, and I'm sure he can't either :)
Old 07-04-2013, 11:32 PM   #1268 
Flyby Stardancer

The Petcos around here don't carry NLS Grow, only NLS Small/Medium/Large/Betta. Petsmart doesn't carry NLS at all.

I've been thinking about getting one of those cheap pill-splitters, and seeing if that would work instead of crushing pellets. I also want to use it to split algae wafers to feed snails when I get them.
Flyby Stardancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #1269 
TiffanyP

The pill splitter is a genius idea Flyby... I'm going to have to keep that in mind for any future bettas I have :)
Old 07-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #1270 
Flyby Stardancer

I already have two in the house, but one has been used for human meds (including some real nasty stuff, IIRC), and the other for cat meds... I don't want to accidentally contaminate the tank with those!
Flyby Stardancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta