Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #1321 
TiffanyP

Question time: At the end of the month, I'll be going back to my hometown on vacation for a couple of weeks. I'm bringing Alaric with me, but I'm not sure of the best way to transport him home... It's about an hour and 20 minute drive, and I'll be driving alone so there wont be anyone to hold him. Any suggestions or thoughts of what to put him in or to make the trip easier for him? It'll probably be pretty warm and my car doesn't have AC, so I'm not worried about him getting cold, but I'll probably keep him shielded from the sun so he doesn't overheat. Thanks in advance!
TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:15 PM   #1322 
Flyby Stardancer

Do you still have the cup you brought him home in? If not, then maybe get one of those cheap ziplock containers from the store and poke a bunch of air holes in the lid. Either way, I would think put him in that with some clean water, and the whole thing into a little cooler to keep it dark and the temp steady.

I've never tried to do a roadtrip with a pet, though, so take my advice with a grain of salt. :)
Flyby Stardancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #1323 
TiffanyP

I do have the container he came in - I was thinking about using that I just wasn't sure if it was too small.

I've read a couple of articles but of course, they all say slightly different things - just trying to get some more tips :)
TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:29 PM   #1324 
logisticsguy

Take a thermometer with you so you will know if its too hot or too cold. Keep out of direct sunlight as much as possible. A cooler or insulated box to put the container in is also good.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:09 AM   #1325 
Flyby Stardancer

Okay, took a bunch more pictures of my new baby tonight. I selected a few of the best ones and uploaded them to photobucket.

So let's play the What Is It? Baby Betta Guessing Game! :D

And there are more pictures here:
One.
Two.
Three.
Four.

And I'm having a bit of trouble telling if that's a well-fed belly, or an over-fed belly...
Old 07-14-2013, 12:16 AM   #1326 
Mar

So cute!
I'ma guess male VT.
Looks like a well fed belly xD But I'd neverknow
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:30 AM   #1327 
jeano

Temperature and food question

Hello Everyone!

I have new betta baby that we adopted a few days ago. My 5 year old grandson named him Tony Stewart(most all his stuffed animals are named this also ) until we are able to determine his sex.
We have a 10 gallon tank that is divided for our 2 adult male bettas, Norman and Rico. I have this tank set at 80 degrees. But I did read that the juvies need a slightly higher temp.
Tony is in a 2 gallon tank and his preset heater failed yesterday and was keeping his tank at a steady 84. So I rushed out and got an adjustable one.
I was wondering if this was a good temp for him? Should it be slightly higher or lower?
Also, just wanted to be sure I was feeding him the correct variety of food. He gets a rotation of NLS small fish formula pellets, frozen bbs, daphnia and blood worms. He eats like a pig and then begs for more. I feed him 3 times a day.
Thanks ahead of time for any input!

Last edited by jeano; 07-14-2013 at 07:47 AM. Reason: wrong information
jeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:44 AM   #1328 
JamieL

Hahahaha, that's what happens when toddlers name pets! Our fish are named "bubble fishy" and "captain hook", courtesy of my three year old.

Everything you said sounds exactly like our baby bettas setup, right down to the food. His tank hangs at around 81, he seems pretty cozy. :)
JamieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #1329 
TheOnlyCanvas

Tiffany - I've had to bring my fish with me several times on a five hour drive across the Rocky Mountains. I recommend keeping him in a sealed tupperware container, no holes. Use something large enough that you can leave a good amount of air at the top. Holes in the lid make the water splash out on drives, and when I tried it I lost way too much water for my comfort. As yours is a short drive, a sealed lid will be fine. Otherwise I'd recommend stopping occasionally to open it so he gets fresh air.

Also, pack that container into another box, cooler, etc. surrounded by towels, and lay something over the top to keep the sun off.
TheOnlyCanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:55 AM   #1330 
Flyby Stardancer

What to do for a constipated baby? The tank is essentially bare-bottomed, but I'm not seeing any poop... I don't know if it's because he's constipated or because I'm just missing it.

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta