Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2013, 05:09 PM   #1431 
Whimsical

My baby developed a barcode?

Hi all- new here :D

So last week I bought this baby betta from petco:

He's a light brownish/tan little guy (about an inch from nose to tail-tip now) with just the faintest shimmer of color on his fins if you get the right lighting. All the babies at the store had these stripes on them, and I was told he/she would grow out of them once he got older, so I haven't been too concerned. He's a great little fellow named Photon. :D

Anyways, today a friend suggested I hold up a mirror to the tank, explaining that aggressive behavior and flaring means it's probably a male.

So I did! I wouldn't call him aggressive, only very interested. But his behavior isn't what caught my attention. He changed color!

He got alot darker with much more of that green shimmer, and his stripes disappeared only to be replaced with these thick black bars going vertical.

Once I took the mirror away he went back to his usual self. I heard that when fish are stressed by other fish they usually get horizontal stripes, so I don't know what these bars are. Any ideas?
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:39 PM   #1432 
kvw1988

Well if yours is a boy, the younger ones will do that to show they are submissive. Females will also do that too to show they are ready to mate, but as young as yours is I'm betting its just being submissive.
kvw1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:16 PM   #1433 
Whimsical

So stripes mean stress, and bars mean submission?
Old 07-26-2013, 10:19 PM   #1434 
LebronTheBetta

Pretty much, when they're older. But if they're babies, they'll usually have the horizontal stripes as "camouflage".
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:22 PM   #1435 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsical View Post
So stripes mean stress, and bars mean submission?
In babies the "stress" stripes are actually camouflage stripes. That is their natural coloration until their pigment starts to fill in as they get older. They can change from colored to camo stripes to submission stripes in a heartbeat basically depending on their mood. it's very common to see them switch all the time. The reason your baby went to vertical stripes when you showed him the mirror was because he saw another Betta and didn't want any trouble so he put his submission stripes up to tell that other Betta he didn't want any trouble and didn't want to fight.

Also in response to your thing about aggressiveness, both males and females are equally aggressive. The biggest difference is that males fight to kill while females fight to injure and make other submissive. They don't mean to kill but they usually end up wounding the other until death, unless you have enough females to spread around the aggression and that's why sororities work and why you can't have fraternities lol

But basically you really can't tell if it's male or female by the way it flares or anything. Oh and females also have beards, some have very large beards as well just like their male counterparts!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:01 PM   #1436 
Whimsical

Ah, I gotcha. Thanks for you help guys :D
Old 07-26-2013, 11:04 PM   #1437 
TiffanyP

I know this is the baby betta thread, but I have news... Alaric got a brother and future tankmate today! And I just had to show him off somewhere, and since I've chatted with some of you, this seemed like a good place :)

I saved him from Walmart Betta Hades - despite the fin rot (likely from the terrible water conditions he was in, his poor cup was so filthy!) he looks very healthy. A nice solid orange color, but with pineapple scales (not really sure how to phrase that correctly lol) I'm at my parents house on 'vacation' right now so I have him in a very temporary home. A cheap 3/4 gallon 'pet carrier'. It actually works great though as he needs to be in quarantine for a while to get his fin rot on the road to healing, and to be sure he doesn't have a bug - because when I get home in a week he and Alaric will be sharing a divided larger tank (assuming his fin rot is better). I bought some stress coat today, but completely spaced off buying aquarium salt, so I will be getting some tomorrow to help with his fin rot. Also I have a question: you can see on his ventral fins that they're kind of curly? His dorsal fin has a little of that too. Is that just from the fin rot? Or another problem?

Whimsical - your baby is so cute! I hope he/she ends up that turquoise-y color that shimmers in a couple of the pictures - I think those fish are so pretty! But any color he/she turns out to be will be awesome I'm sure :)
Attached Images

TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:40 AM   #1438 
JamieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyP View Post
I know this is the baby betta thread, but I have news... Alaric got a brother and future tankmate today! And I just had to show him off somewhere, and since I've chatted with some of you, this seemed like a good place :)

I saved him from Walmart Betta Hades - despite the fin rot (likely from the terrible water conditions he was in, his poor cup was so filthy!) he looks very healthy. A nice solid orange color, but with pineapple scales (not really sure how to phrase that correctly lol) I'm at my parents house on 'vacation' right now so I have him in a very temporary home. A cheap 3/4 gallon 'pet carrier'. It actually works great though as he needs to be in quarantine for a while to get his fin rot on the road to healing, and to be sure he doesn't have a bug - because when I get home in a week he and Alaric will be sharing a divided larger tank (assuming his fin rot is better). I bought some stress coat today, but completely spaced off buying aquarium salt, so I will be getting some tomorrow to help with his fin rot. Also I have a question: you can see on his ventral fins that they're kind of curly? His dorsal fin has a little of that too. Is that just from the fin rot? Or another problem?

Whimsical - your baby is so cute! I hope he/she ends up that turquoise-y color that shimmers in a couple of the pictures - I think those fish are so pretty! But any color he/she turns out to be will be awesome I'm sure :)
Cute! I can't help you with the fins, but congrats on the new fish! I'm going to pick up another one today myself, as the one I rescued from petco didn't make it (he was VERY bad off though, this guy looks great).

What's his name??
JamieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:19 AM   #1439 
TiffanyP

I've named him Gaston - like from Beauty and the Beast :) I lucked out with him I think - aside from dirty water in his cup and his fin issues he seems like a pretty sturdy and healthy fella. Alaric isn't sure what to think of him haha I don't think he can clearly see whats over there since there's some space between their tanks, but he knows something is over there. Once Gaston's fins start getting better I'll put their tanks a bit closer together so they can 'meet'.
TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #1440 
JamieL

Gaston!! Love it
JamieL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta