Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2013, 01:04 AM   #1451 
TheOnlyCanvas

That chart has been referenced a lot on the site, actually! You're fine :)
Based on that she's around 8 weeks.
TheOnlyCanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:47 AM   #1452 
TexasRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyCanvas View Post
I'll hazard a guess that she's probably closer to two, just because I've had her for a full month. She was probably around 3 or 4 weeks when I got her?

She's been going after pellets since I first brought her home. They'd really trained her to eat them, either before they sent her to the store or while she was in the cup. Sure makes my life easier! Although she'll eat just about anything that moves. She once tried to nibble on a root from the amazon sword that was sticking through the gravel!

Here are pictures of her from when I first got her vs. yesterday (next to Mara, my adult CT, who isn't a particularly big fish, so I think she's probably fairly young too) and she's really not that much smaller O.o
Wow! Phoenix is growing nicely. Your tank looks so nice!
TexasRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:45 AM   #1453 
logisticsguy

You are all doing great with your baby bettas they look terrific. I think stores sell them too young but if the fish keeper reads here and learns how to take good care its ok. Good work people!
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:29 PM   #1454 
Flyby Stardancer

For some reason, babyfish has been showing submission bars all day! I can't figure it out! lol

Also, I'm wondering if anyone has a better guess on sex now that s/he is older... I know I can clearly see a little white bite like an egg spot hanging out, but I don't know if it's a true egg spot, or if it's the false one boys will sometimes have while young.
Flyby Stardancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:34 PM   #1455 
PetMania

Flyby,
Is s/he next to another betta tank? Maybe s/he can see the bigger betta and is intimidaded.
Maybe you can tell his/her sex by the eye size. If the eye is partically large, then maybe it's a male that's still growing his fins.
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:39 PM   #1456 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

She could be seeing her reflection and yes I think it's a girl the body shape is more feminine but that could always change. But for now I'm sticking with girl ^_^
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:50 PM   #1457 
PetMania

For right now, I'm saying girl, too.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:26 AM   #1458 
Flyby Stardancer

PetMania-- Her reflection is the only nearby betta. LOL She's on the opposite side of the room from my boyfish.

lilnaugrim-- I thought boy at first, but the fins just haven't been growing and I can see the eggspot really clearly. lol This little white nubbin that sticks out. But she will be sooo pretty. And is only slightly smaller than some of the females I saw at Petsmart today.
Flyby Stardancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:18 AM   #1459 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, as had been stated before, egg spots are still not a reliable way to tell and neither is my "her body looks female" technique technically valid lol but it works most of the time! Sometimes you can just look at a fish and be like, that's totally male or that's toootally a female!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #1460 
PetMania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyby Stardancer View Post
PetMania-- Her reflection is the only nearby betta. LOL She's on the opposite side of the room from my boyfish.

lilnaugrim-- I thought boy at first, but the fins just haven't been growing and I can see the eggspot really clearly. lol This little white nubbin that sticks out. But she will be sooo pretty. And is only slightly smaller than some of the females I saw at Petsmart today.
You will not believe how far bettas can see each other. it's crazy. I have a male betta in a 10 gallon tank that looks like a female right now, and my other betta was able to see him even though there's a hutch in between them. so, he made a bubble nest and was waitin for his dream girl

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta