Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2013, 06:33 PM   #1481 
TiffanyP

I found that NLS small fish formula work really well for my baby - he could get his mouth around them and I didn't have to deal with crushing the pellets or the cloudy water that came from crushing the pellets (I did for a while).

With tanks, I've been told bigger is better. 2 gallon would be good, but they make some pretty cool 3 gallons too if you wanted to consider that too - also a bigger tank is easier to heat.

Here's some things that I bought/acquired for Alaric in the time I've had him: net, heater, rocks, tank decorations (silk plants and a leaf bed), thermometer, water conditioner, plastic spoons (I use them to measure out his food), aquarium salt and epsom salt (haven't used it and hope I never have to, just have it on hand right now), water testing kit, I grabbed a half gallon plastic milk jug from my parents recycling and rinsed it out well and use that to measure out/store water and conditioner, and a brother haha by all means, not all of that is necessary but I would at minimum get a heater, thermometer, rocks and some kind of plant/hiding spot, water conditioner, and some higher quality food :)
TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:13 PM   #1482 
freeflow246

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyP View Post
I found that NLS small fish formula work really well for my baby - he could get his mouth around them and I didn't have to deal with crushing the pellets or the cloudy water that came from crushing the pellets (I did for a while).

With tanks, I've been told bigger is better. 2 gallon would be good, but they make some pretty cool 3 gallons too if you wanted to consider that too - also a bigger tank is easier to heat.

Here's some things that I bought/acquired for Alaric in the time I've had him: net, heater, rocks, tank decorations (silk plants and a leaf bed), thermometer, water conditioner, plastic spoons (I use them to measure out his food), aquarium salt and epsom salt (haven't used it and hope I never have to, just have it on hand right now), water testing kit, I grabbed a half gallon plastic milk jug from my parents recycling and rinsed it out well and use that to measure out/store water and conditioner, and a brother haha by all means, not all of that is necessary but I would at minimum get a heater, thermometer, rocks and some kind of plant/hiding spot, water conditioner, and some higher quality food :)
Thanks! I already have two empty tanks, decor, water conditioner, thermometer, and heater. I was just wondering if it would be better for a betta that small to be in the 1 gal rather than the 2 gal. I know baby reptiles aren't supposed to be kept in tanks as large as an adult would use.
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:07 PM   #1483 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Freeflow, you'll want to go bigger for baby Betta's. And water changes are either every day or every other day around 50%-100% being that they excrete a Growth Stunting Hormone which is great for out in the wild but being in a tank, it backfires and effects themselves which can stunt their growth. So you need to get rid of that hormone and you do so by water changes.

Also they feed about every 3-4 hours or you can feed 3 times daily if you can. Small frequent meals are the best thing for them. You can feed frozen or live foods, pellets or flake will be fine as long as they are high quality; NLS or Omega One. Heat of course at 78-80, normal for all Betta's and that's about it. They like to play and swim in plants (fake or real doesn't matter) and hides so it would be good if you provided that too ^_^ I find in the earlier stages that bare bottom tanks are much easier to siphon out or do 100% water changes on so you might consider that for now and then once it get's bigger you can add substrate and whatever you like
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:45 PM   #1484 
PetMania

I was wondering why my betta was so small when I got him.
I always seem to go for the small guys. Plus, the big ones can jump farther
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #1485 
PetMania

So, yeah. I am going to take in a baby betta for the first time. Exicted to watch him/her grow up!
Old 08-01-2013, 09:02 PM   #1486 
Viva

Wish I could upload pics of my new DT baby but my stupid camera won't connect to the PC for some reason :( I think either the cable or the mini USB port on my camera is broken, not sure which yet. But she is doing good despite her ragged appearance a few days ago. She's eating frozen blood worms, brine shrimp and even crushed pellets already. She's zooming around the tank right now!
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #1487 
PetMania

Awesome, Viva! It sounds like she is in the perfect home.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #1488 
freeflow246

Got a little baby today! I have him/her in a 2 gal. When cleaning and setting up the decor I went into autopilot mode and didn't realize that I'd added the substrate until hours later when the baby was in the tank. Day after tomorrow I'll do a 100% water change and hold the gravel this time. Haven't had too many issues with dropped food, but I need to be able to see if he/she is pooping right I suppose.

Interestingly, it seems like he/she hasn't seen substrate before. It's been over four hours and the baby is still sticking close to the bottom and intensely scrutinizing the pebbles and gravel, nipping them every once in a while and poking into crevices.

Not the smallest baby at the store, but still a wee thing. Has a hint of a purple-ish sheen but that's all I know. I swear it's the same fish in both pics. For some reason neither captures his/her true color (or lack thereof).

Any theories on what this mystery card might turn into? He/she flared at my Draco when they were within eyeshot so maybe male? But I know females flare also....
Attached Images

freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:14 AM   #1489 
Viva

It does look very much like a small male VT. My female babies had much shorter fins when I got them.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #1490 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I agree, male VT such a cutie!

And it's likely that he's never seen substrate before! Generally breeding tanks are bare bottom so it's easier to be cleaned and then off to the store they went!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta