Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #1491 
TiffanyP

How old appx were your babies when you started weaning them down to a more normal adult feeding routine? :)
TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:50 PM   #1492 
PetMania

Can you feed a baby betta the smaller NLS pellets until he/she is an adult. Also, what is the recommended feeding schedule? This will be my first baby betta rescue, so I don't want to mess it up.
Thanks in advance!
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:51 PM   #1493 
freeflow246

Oh btw I've been feeding the baby the NLS small fish pellets and so far it's been taking them fine. Just the right size. :)
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:20 AM   #1494 
Viva

I like to feed crushed pellets or the NLS Grow pellets I hear are really great for baby bettas, though I've never seen them at Petco. Also I feed frozen brine shrimp and blood worms daily for extra protein and fiber. I feed them 4 times a day usually, about every 3 hours.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:52 AM   #1495 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Generally every 3-4 hours is good to feed them. Feed them small amounts but frequently, same goes for most other babies in the world But if you can't get every 3-4 hours then 3 times a day will suffice, but still don't gut them (basically feeding until their tummy is REALLY poking out) but get them to a nice rounded belly.

And yes, I've used combinations of NLS flakes which have garlic, NLS pellets the regular ones and frozen BW's. I didn't know much about babies when I started them so I would definitely suggest getting them NLS grow and some frozen BW's right away and/or Frozen Brine Shrimp would be great!

Also as far as weaning them, I go by size not by age since each will get to that stage differently depending on their environment and all that good stuff. I started to feed Steve only twice a day when he was about a full inch in just body size, basically when he looked like a teenage in the Betta world. And I'm going to continue twice a day feedings until he get's to be a regular size that you'd buy a Betta from a store.

I'm not entirely sure if that's the way to do it or not but it's been working out so far for Steve, Tony is still on the small side though and they're the same age just about and possibly from the same spawn so he's still getting 3 times a day.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #1496 
PetMania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva View Post
I like to feed crushed pellets or the NLS Grow pellets I hear are really great for baby bettas, though I've never seen them at Petco. Also I feed frozen brine shrimp and blood worms daily for extra protein and fiber. I feed them 4 times a day usually, about every 3 hours.
Thanks!
Old 08-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #1497 
PetMania

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Generally every 3-4 hours is good to feed them. Feed them small amounts but frequently, same goes for most other babies in the world But if you can't get every 3-4 hours then 3 times a day will suffice, but still don't gut them (basically feeding until their tummy is REALLY poking out) but get them to a nice rounded belly.

And yes, I've used combinations of NLS flakes which have garlic, NLS pellets the regular ones and frozen BW's. I didn't know much about babies when I started them so I would definitely suggest getting them NLS grow and some frozen BW's right away and/or Frozen Brine Shrimp would be great!

Also as far as weaning them, I go by size not by age since each will get to that stage differently depending on their environment and all that good stuff. I started to feed Steve only twice a day when he was about a full inch in just body size, basically when he looked like a teenage in the Betta world. And I'm going to continue twice a day feedings until he get's to be a regular size that you'd buy a Betta from a store.

I'm not entirely sure if that's the way to do it or not but it's been working out so far for Steve, Tony is still on the small side though and they're the same age just about and possibly from the same spawn so he's still getting 3 times a day.
Wow, this is really helpful! Thanks lilnaugrim
Old 08-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #1498 
TiffanyP

I've been feeding Alaric 3 times a day still up until this past week - I think he went through a growth spurt and now feeding him 3x a day makes him look chubby lol So I'm slowly reducing his mid-day feed to get him on a morning and night schedule :) He's moving into his mansion on Monday or Tuesday (going to set it up tomorrow when I get back and have the filter run for a day or two before putting him in it). Though I'm still not sure where I'm going to put his tank, let alone two 5 gallon tanks! Might have to keep one on the bathroom counter haha
Old 08-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #1499 
PanActress

Well, it's been officially a week and my baby is still around so I thought I would post this!

After coming here to seek help for my betta's fins, I saw this thread and really enjoyed watching how the babies develop into adults. When I went to the pet store to get some things to help my betta, I saw this little baby and couldn't resist!

I've named it Lutece, and it will be either Rosalind or Robert depending on if it is male or female! This thread and forum has been really helpful on knowing just how to care for it. I do water changes everyday, and keep a sharp eye on the temperature. I'm amazed by how much personality this fish has! Every time someone approaches the tank, it zooms out as if to say "Hey, how are you? Whatcha doing? Huh? Hey!" I can see a few differences from when I brought it home, but still don't have an idea what sex or tail type it is. Here are pictures of it through the past week:

Day one:

Day two:

Day Three:
This one really shows the colors I've seen on its fins. When I picked it out at the store, I couldn't tell any color.

Day Four:
These are submission stripes, correct? BTW, the thermometer has been resting right below 80 degrees. I've never seen it below 70, even though it looks that way in this picture.

Day Five:

Day Six:

Day Seven (Today!):
Not sure what is stressing it out, but they didn't last too long!

Right after to show the stripes are gone:

It does get those vertical stripes and color up fairly often. Is this bad for it? Anything I can do to help if it is? When it colors up, the edges of its fins get dark. I'm leaning towards this being its natural coloring. I've only seen the fins growing rather than degrading.

I'm going to have to be very careful next time I go into the pet store... I think I've caught whatever is going around this board!
PanActress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:14 PM   #1500 
TiffanyP

Haha and welcome to Bettas Anonymous! It might be beneficial to have a support group ;)

When they're that little their stripes are more for camouflage purposes rather than submissive, though they can double as both I imagine. His/her fins have healed up so nicely! Keep up what you're doing :)

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta