Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #1501 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Actually vertical stripes are submission and horizontal are for hiding I want to say male because of the longer fins but I'm pretty darn positive that I just watched ovaries growing so I'm saying female for your baby PanActress!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #1502 
PanActress

Ahhh, thanks for your insight you guys! I won't worry too much about the stripes then. I'm glad to hear that it looks like I'm doing things right.

I want to see what this little baby ends up like, but I also don't want to wish away its youth, haha. I'm going to keep taking pictures everyday. It's easier to see growth when you have the pictures, vs looking everyday. Maybe I'll make a journal thread and keep it updated. It would be nice to have a place where the pictures are all in order.
PanActress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #1503 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah totally make a Journal thread! I did and I love looking back to see how much progress my two lovely boy's have made! It's really amazing to see and watch ^_^
Old 08-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #1504 
simsimclark

I caved went to petco searching for a small heater for 10 dollars and always stop to look at the fish and they had baby bettas only 1.99 and knew i had to try my luck right now i have had her/he for 3 days i am going back to get new food she/he only seems to like flake betta food. she/he has red fins and a white a body with black spots. she/he is either a delta, veil or crown tail don't know which but seems to have points at the end of her tail but that's what i hope for her today. gonna call petco and see when they get shipments in.
simsimclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #1505 
sydneygamache07

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies! My little guy is still in the smaller tank. I do 50% water changes every day and 100% every 3 days, and he is doing great! I don't have a filter in either tank because I worry about the current for him, so I'm not sure how I will cycle the tank. I do have one in my large tank that maybe I could use for a day or two. I am waiting to move him over until I've had him for a month just so I don't stress him out, its going on 3 weeks now, so I'll be moving him over soon.
sydneygamache07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:24 AM   #1506 
TheOnlyCanvas

Hey guys, so I noticed something off about Phoenix's face tonight. Is the gill cover just bigger because it's growing faster than the rest of her or is this something I need to be concerned about?? It doesn't really look inflamed it just looks... longer? I guess? I just lost one of my boys the other day and I want to be extra sure that nothing is wrong with my baby :(
Attached Images

TheOnlyCanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:16 AM   #1507 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It doesn't look bad to me Canvas, just looks like she's going to flare. (I'm thinking Phoenix may be a boy now, ventral's are much longer now, anal is nice and pointed and at least from this angle, I can't see any ovaries)
Old 08-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #1508 
TheOnlyCanvas

It's been stuck like that for over twelve hours. It doesn't look like there's anything wrong with it, it just sits kinda weird.
And she has very definite ovaries :) They're almost impossible to see when she's colored up like this, but when I clean the tank she goes pale and stripey and I can see them super well. You can sort of see them in this picture.
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2013, 01:15 AM   #1509 
TiffanyP

She looks so tiny compared to my Alaric! And I think we got them about the same time, didn't we? Crazy how their growth differs (even though she was quite a bit smaller than Alaric) She looks so inquisitive too!

Alaric gave me what I deemed as a fishy kiss tonight :) I was fixing his thermometer in his tank so it would stick on the wall again and I noticed him studying me, so I left my fingers in the water and went really still and he came up and bumped my finger once and swam away :) Everyone I talk to (not on this site) thinks I'm absolutely crazy for saying my fish have personalities and that they're intelligent little boogers. At least y'all here know just how true that is lol :)
TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:27 AM   #1510 
TheOnlyCanvas

She's pretty small, but she's almost 2/3 the size of the adult female I rescued (who was bigger than most of the females at the store, but is still fairly small).

I'm glad to hear Alaric is doing well! Yes, we did get them right around the same time :) I've gotten Phoenix to eat off of my finger a couple of times, and she always nibbles my finger before she goes for the food. And she is a very inquisitive little fish. She gets super duper excited whenever I come over to the tank and refuses to sit still. Pictures are not easy to take haha

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta