Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #1541 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyP View Post
I've got my midget (his current nickname til I figure out his real name lol) in a 2 gallon, I'm doing a 50% water change every other day and a 100% once a week as well. Is that enough for him? (second guessing myself lol)
Yeah! That's totally fine. You can do more than 50% though if you feel the need, it definitely won't hurt him at all and can only help Just make sure to slowly add the water back in afterwards so you don't shock him or anything.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #1542 
TiffanyP

Duly noted :) thank you!
TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #1543 
Viva

Quote:
I bought the little guy a 2 gallon tank to start with and he's so small it takes me a few minutes to find him usually lol the slightly crappy LED lighting doesn't help much either... He ate a couple of the NLS small fish pellets earlier - yay! And do you know how hard it is to just pick out like 3 of them? I'm still thinking of a name for him... Here's a picture - he's (at least I think it's a he, I held up a flashlight and saw his stomach but didn't see anything behind it, so I'm assuming it's a he but I've also never seen ovaries to know what those look like...) pretty much colorless at this point, but has a darker tint to him. If you shine the light on him just right he has a nice greeny iridescence though :) Still thinking of the name for the little booger, what do you think?
Omg so cute! I got my first DT baby about a month or so ago I think, I love her! I think yours may be female too but its hard to tell right now. The ovaries take time to develop and sometimes you still can't see them through a dark or thickly-scaled fish.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #1544 
TiffanyP

He's definitely see-through, but he just has a darkness about him, which makes me feel that he'll probably be blue once he starts getting colored up :) I can see his stomach pretty clearly when the light is behind him. I guess I'm just calling him a 'he' for right now until he for sure becomes a 'she' or not haha Midget seems to be the nickname for right now since he's so much smaller than my other 2 boys :)
Old 08-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #1545 
Trippshep

I actually got mine from petsmart.
When I first got her she was maybe the size of the first knuckle in my pinky finger. Meaning where the first out of two lines hit.
Thats her. Before I did any reading or anything, I saw she was becoming pregnant, so I put her in with my male, Tyco. I felt so bad because her fens are now tore up and she is still very very little for a betta.
Trippshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #1546 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippshep View Post
I actually got mine from petsmart.
When I first got her she was maybe the size of the first knuckle in my pinky finger. Meaning where the first out of two lines hit.
Thats her. Before I did any reading or anything, I saw she was becoming pregnant, so I put her in with my male, Tyco. I felt so bad because her fens are now tore up and she is still very very little for a betta.
Uhhh yeah, Betta's aren't livebearer's so they don't become pregnant and she was probably not even mature yet. But seems you know this now?

The reason she's probably still small is because of growth stunting since they give off a hormone when they're growing up that, in the wild is used as a defense mechanism and they try to stunt each other's growth. But in the aquarium it backfires on them so that's why they need water changes once every day or every other. So if you bump up her water changes to more frequently, she can still grow
Old 08-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #1547 
TiffanyP

Because no one can resist a cute picture... Here's the little stink next to his best buddy the thermometer. He's almost always by the silly thing haha and he is so tiny!
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2013, 09:52 AM   #1548 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

And here's the new boy I promised everyone pictures. His original name was Mr. Fish from his previous owner but I'm taking a pole; Maverick, Ricochet or Hawkeye?

He's aprox. 4 months old and only about an inch, last owners had him for 3 months in a 1 gallon bowl with water changes once a week. Once she learned about the growth hormone and all she felt really bad and knew she couldn't keep up so she offered me him since she knew I could take care of him. I accepted and here he is!

He's a little dull here since he was just brought home but I should have some more pictures later today of him being colored up really nice since he spent the night in complete darkness!

Old 08-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #1549 
TiffanyP

Well, being from Iowa my vote has to go for Hawkeye for his name :) He's lucky to have you! (I acquired another betta yesterday... he's in the most literal sense of the word, a rainbow betta... I'm going to post his pic under Betta Pics)

Last edited by TiffanyP; 08-21-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #1550 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Well, being from Iowa my vote has to go for Hawkeye for his name :) He's lucky to have you! (I acquired another betta yesterday... he's in the most literal sense of the word, a rainbow betta... I'm going to post his pic under Betta Pics)
What about Hawkeye makes you like it? I don't know what you're refering to lol so I ask.

Okay so far, 3 votes for Hawkeye, 2 for Ricochet and 2 for Maverick...

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta