betta fish

Old 08-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #1551 
TiffanyP

Iowa is the Hawkeye state! Gotta represent lol
TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #1552 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

ooh okay lol, that I did not know but I'm not from there so it's acceptable haha
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #1553 
Quinn

Little "Tails" (nickname for now, as s/he is a DT) was upgraded yesterday to a 1.5 gallon kritter keeper. I'll have a bigger tank coming in, but it's not worth it to buy anything but kritter keepers locally because all my nearby stores are SO over priced for supplies. Will still be doing daily changes no worries ;) I still need to figure out posting from my phone for pictures. S/he is maybe a cambodian, or just slow to color up, we will see I guess! Looks like Tails has grown, or at least had fin growth, since coming home on Sunday as well.
As for your new guy lilnaugrim, congrats! I used to ride a horse named Ricochet as a kid, so I'm partial to that name, but I sorta think he looks like a Maverick!
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #1554 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Thanks Quinn!

But now I'm wondering if it's not a girl or maybe a PK boy....Same body size as Steve but he fins are less than half of what he has! I can't see through her so difficult to tell....we'll have to see. I think Maverick could go both male/female...right? lol it does look like a Maverick to me though, I do have to agree. As much as I like Hawkeye and Ricochet...I think I will have to go with Maverick. Thanks all for voting though haha
Old 08-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #1555 
Quinn

So I finally got some pictures uploaded. My computer has pretty much kicked the bucket so I can't use a camera, just my phone, so the pictures aren't great, but oh well! I think I'll maybe start a journal, or at least try to post frequent pictures.

"Tails" is doing great! S/He has been here for just over a week now and definitely appears to have grown. S/He also is getting some blue/teal iridescence on his fins over the past several days. I'm so curious to see what this baby ends up looking like! Seems happy, active, hopefully will be getting moved into the 3 gal kritter keeper from the 1.5 this week when my other newer boy (was being neglected in a 1 gal bowl) moves into a new 5 gal hex tank that I'm hopefully getting off craigslist with some java moss and hornwort. Since moving into the 1.5gal I've been doing a 3 liter change daily (a little over half) and then a 100% change every few days.
Also, being such a newbie, I have no idea about sexing a fish. I mean I've read about it here, but in reality I can't tell. Do you guys have an idea so I can stop going S/He? Haha Also, guesstimate on age? Came home on Sunday Aug, 18th. Cup was pretty clean and there were SO MANY bettas, it was probably a new shipment as well. I assume they ship out as babies around a certain age right?

"Where am I..?"

DAY 4 (Such an icky topline. I think s/he may also have a slightly bent spine, though it's hard to tell. Don't care, still SO CUTE!)

"Who are YOU?!"

"No touch! My heater!"

Starting to see tiny bit of teal starting on fins

DAY 6
(blurry but look how much more color! Also seems to be reddening in body possibly)

"Helloooo up there! Got noms?"

DAY 7

And totally out of focus, because the camera decided to focus instead on Silas creeping in the background!
Old 08-27-2013, 12:35 PM   #1556 
Quinn

And I just walked over and WE HAVE BUBBLE NEST! Too cute! In the far back corner closest to Silas' tank. They've definitely been actively noticing each other a lot this morning, more than usual. Baby is growing up
Old 08-28-2013, 08:03 AM   #1557 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah Double Tails are known for having bad top lines, i.e. crooked spines and bent spines since the tail formation is a deformation in and of itself. Baby's looking good tho Quinn! And that teal you see is just her regular blue iridescence looks like she's got some cellophane ends going on now too, that's adorable!
Old 08-28-2013, 10:26 AM   #1558 
Quinn

Yes the blue iridescence just developed over the past few days like wildfire. It's so awesome to see the changes. Every morning I wake up and there's a lot more iridescence than the night before! The cellophane edging has been there the whole time, but I've definitely seen a lot of growth over the past week+ over all, so it's just easier to see everything. S/He is doing really well I think, active, curious, coloring up, eats well, and seems happy. I'm thrilled. And interesting to hear that most have spinal deformities. Is breeding DT something somewhat frowned upon in the Betta world, or are the good breeders working hard to eliminate the other kinks?
How is your newest little one coming along?
Do you think "Tails" is a she? I kept going back and forth, but ultimately landed on male, after seeing the recent fin growth, no egg spot (that I can spot), the recent bubble nest (I know females do too, but not as much/often right? S/He is set up next to Silas though, so I'm aware it could just be spawning naughty thoughts - no pun intended), and I THINK the big chunk I see inside is all just one unit (the stomach) but I can't find any really good pictures that show comparison of M/F at this age. I'd be happy either way, though originally I was hoping for a female.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:35 AM   #1559 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh no, breeding DT's is totally fine, just not DTxDT, you can do any other tail type though; CTxDT, VTxDT, HMxDT, etc. It's just a deformity in and of itself as I mentioned before so most of them will have bent and/or crooked spines also most of them have very stubby first ray's on their dorsal. But yes, there are breeder's trying to perfect every tail type we've got out there including DT! Will we ever get rid of the bent spine issue? I'll never know. While you can have a spawn with half of them with really nice spines, the other half might still have the regular bent/crooked DT spine so either way, we'll still probably end up with spine issues. But for the most part, they don't hinder swimming or their life, they just aren't Show Quality and you wouldn't want to breed them either if getting rid of bent spines is your goal

And my little ones are great! Steve, Tony and Hawkeye are all growing and having a blast with each other it seems! haha But Hawkeye has immediately warmed up to be and is eating like a pig now, and he's actually bigger than Steve but fins are still shorter than Tony but he's most certainly a boy since there are no shapes of ovaries in him, he also acts like a boy. But he's not PK I'm sure because he looks VT, already drooping a bit so IDK! We shall see!!

I don't really know, hard to see since there aren't many good recent pictures of Tails from the side. I was looking at the earlier ones but the ovaries might not have fully developed yet so it's a bit hard to say. It's not that females don't do it often because they do and they could work on them all day long if they wanted, it is that they lack structure. So females nests tend to be smaller and spotty, usually not as tall and broad.

But I think I'm going with guy for Tails, I just see no evidence of ovaries unless you can get me a sort of clear picture of the side, preferably with a light behind her/him.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:05 AM   #1560 
Quinn

Glad to hear all your little babies are thriving! And thanks for the details on the genetics side. I'm not considering breeding, but I just love to know the general "rules" of the breeds so to speak in all dog things I do, so it's apparently transferring here too! And interesting that its just a structure difference with the nesting. I figured the nest wasn't a good indicator, but it sure is cute! He built another after his first broke apart, my boyfriend thinks I'm crazy for how into these fish I suddenly am.
I'll try to get a side picture at the next 100% change when he's cupped. It's tricky! I *THINK* I finally saw an egg spot yesterday, but I still think male too anyway. I have no REAL idea what I'm looking at, however I don't believe I have seen the triangular ovary lump, I think I just see stomach. Plus his ventrals seem to be longer, and he's just been feeling more boyish to me as well. I guess time will tell!

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta