Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2013, 02:51 PM   #1571 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yup, but it depends on the fish. One of my little ones; Tony was totally fine with shrimp in his tank for quite a while. I had him in with an Amano for about a month and then switched the Amano to the 10 because of algae issues but it died because I didn't realize my pH was at 5.5 in the tank with the driftwood....whoops. And then When Steve and Tony went over to the 10, I had bought Red Rili shrimp thinking they were bigger but they were tiny, Tony only killed one and was fine with the 8 others....that is until I left for a weekend and he took it out on the shrimp and now has killed both his small pond snails as well.....so just be careful is all lol.

Small fish are fine, nothing that can fit your baby in it's mouth of course and visa versa. Snails are generally fine unless you've got a snail killer like I do....most Rasboras, and fish like Cherry Barbs or Ember Tetra's are great with Betta's! Microrasboras are awesome too, most Nano fish also. Just think about what will happen when Tails grows up more as well, will he be able to fit whatever tankmates you have in his mouth by then? If so, I wouldn't get it.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:54 PM   #1572 
ncguppy830

ok thanks for the help.
ncguppy830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:06 PM   #1573 
Quinn

Yes, I made the mistake of ghost shrimp in a not cycled tank already stupidly. I thought Silas killed them, but now think it was my prams, so I wanted to try again the right way. This far the baby seems most docile of my boys, and I thought maybe growing up with others might help the adaptation of being a little more welcoming to guests. We will see if I end up with a 10! And certainly nothing that can eat baby!
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:11 PM   #1574 
Viva

Ghost shrimp are not very hardy to begin with...at least all the ones I got died within a week :( My Amanos I'm absolutely in LOVE with though :D. I need to upload some pics of my baby DT girl here, she's so cute! I keep forgetting though and right now I'm at work ;(
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:08 PM   #1575 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah ghosties really aren't that hardy just because, like goldfish, they're used as feeder's a lot so that leads to poor upbringings even for those who will be sold in the store as regular shrimp. If you can find a reputable breeder, then sure! Ghosties are awesome, no good for cleaning algae, but good for picking up after the babies haha

Yeah I'm sure if I tried Amano's again, Tony would be fine with it because they're so big but I also don't feel like spending 4.99 on ONE Amano >.>

Yeah I'll update on Steve, Tony and Hawkeye soon
Old 08-31-2013, 04:54 PM   #1576 
Viva

Yeah I think around here the Amanos are $4 a pop. I remember once I got like 3 amanos and one plant and it was $20 at Petco. I was like O_O
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:37 PM   #1577 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ugg, same here Viva! I got mine at a LFS but same deal and I actually didn't have enough money for the driftwood I wanted so I had to put the driftwood back and just get the two Amano's and the bunch of Elodea lol whoops.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:36 PM   #1578 
islandtime317

Any guesses on gender?

Just picked up this little baby a few days ago. It is currently in a 5 gal tank with a heater, sponge filter, a few live plants, and 2 otochinus (the really small algae eaters). Still has very dark stress stripes on it, but fins are showing purple/blue in the light and body is starting to show some blue hues. Wondering if anyone would know how old (it is right around an inch long, maybe a litle smaller) and possibly have a guess as to what gender this little baby is?
Attached Images

islandtime317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:15 AM   #1579 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandtime317 View Post
Just picked up this little baby a few days ago. It is currently in a 5 gal tank with a heater, sponge filter, a few live plants, and 2 otochinus (the really small algae eaters). Still has very dark stress stripes on it, but fins are showing purple/blue in the light and body is starting to show some blue hues. Wondering if anyone would know how old (it is right around an inch long, maybe a litle smaller) and possibly have a guess as to what gender this little baby is?
It's still a little too early to tell but my educated guess falls on PK male. Probably no more than 4-5 weeks old, maaayyybee 6 weeks. But super hard to tell when I have nothing to compare it to lol
Old 09-01-2013, 07:18 AM   #1580 
islandtime317

Thanks! I was hoping it was a male, only time will tell though. I measured him/her this morning and its only .75 in long from nose to tip of tail! Very active little baby, loves swimming around its tank and comes out when anyone walks by and "follows you". Should I be feeding it anything special? I'm feeding it betta flakes (2 small flakes) twice a day and every now and then putting in a dried or frozen bloodworm.
islandtime317 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta