Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #1581 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah when measuring Betta's you don't measure the tail, you measure from nose to peduncle which is the beginning of the tail since each tail type varies in size so that's no good way of telling size.

For food I'd get something high quality, NLS flakes will do or you can get NLS Small Fish formula for him or Omega One and crush it up. He'll need to eat about 3 times a day but every 3-4 hours is what they would "normally" eat. Small but frequent meals. Stay away from freeze dried blood worms if you can and only frozen bloodworms if he can take them and once, maybe twice a week should be fine. BW's in general can cause some constipation issues so just be careful is all. With their high metabolism though, it shouldn't be as much of an issue as an adult fish would be though.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #1582 
tabby

So, I relize this is a old thread, but it still seems to be going strong...

I went to Petco last night and felt so bad for the baby bettas I ended up bringing one home. She's about 3/4 inch long and has a bit of red showing on her fins. She seemed to have stripes last night, but I'm not noticing them today.

My biggest issue atm is where to keep her. Right now she's in my 10 gallon fry tank, off on her own in a decent size breeding net. My platy and molly fry are about 3 months old right now and I wasn't sure if they would be ok together, although they seem to just be ignoring each other.I was going to be getting new homes for my other fry later this week, but I wasn't sure if she would be intimidated having a the big tank mostly to herself at her size. I do have some pygmy corys in there, and a few assassin snails, some of them bigger then her...It stays a good temp of around 82, but the plants are plastic and I don't want to move them out because they have assassin snail eggs that I'm waiting to hatch. It's also filtered for a 20 gallon, so the current may be to strong.

My other options are my 2 gallon or my extra 10, both currenty sitting empty. With my 10 I have a sponge filter and heater I can use, but I have nothing for the 2 gallon right now. Should I set something up in that for her so she may be more comfortable?

My Beowulf is the only betta I've ever owned and he's not exactly giving me advice, I'm sure he just wants to eat the baby...
tabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #1583 
TiffanyP

You could always set the 10 gallon up and only fill it up half way or so? If not, a 2 gallon wouldn't hurt til she got bigger if you kept up with the water changes :)
TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #1584 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh she'll be fine in all the 10 gallons, as long as you've got some plant cover (real or fake doesn't matter) then she'll be happier than a peach!
Old 09-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #1585 
Viva

Here's a pic of Gem, my little DT girl! Today is her 35th day in my home. She's a cutie! She will be joining my sorority tank eventually.

Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #1586 
trixie55555

I've got one just like her from Petco. I've been trying to figure out if mine was a male DT plakat or female DT. Mine has that same white spot, too, and I've been trying to also figure out if it was an egg spot. I guess I've got all my answers right here :) ...a female DT with an egg spot!!
trixie55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #1587 
Viva

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie55555 View Post
I've got one just like her from Petco. I've been trying to figure out if mine was a male DT plakat or female DT. Mine has that same white spot, too, and I've been trying to also figure out if it was an egg spot. I guess I've got all my answers right here :) ...a female DT with an egg spot!!
Cool! Do you have pics?
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #1588 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

She's so cute Viva!!!

@trixie: Yeah, egg spots are not a reliable way to tell male or female. Young males also have an egg spot as a disguise basically to help in the wild. One of my older males still has his Egg Spot so hence, no good way to tell. The only way is to look for the ovaries which are a triangular object behind the circle-ish stomach which is generally right above the egg spot.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #1589 
madyjane

im thinking abut getting more baby bettas because my first baby betta tinker-bell turned out so pretty and in my sorority I think she might be the alpha
might go to petco and am thinking I might get 3 if I can find a replacement divider and a new female if I have money left over from buying decore divider silk plants and breeder box
madyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #1590 
trixie55555

I just got some good pics today. I have rescued several babies recently and all are doing quite well. Here are pics of 2 of them. Both these babies are looking very similar in color. The first 3 pics are the one that looks like Viva's, and the last couple of pics are a different fish but it has similar color & also looks like it's tail will split into a DT though you can't really tell from the pics.

Any input on possible sex & fin type would be appreciated. I am also VERY curious about what the white spot is behind the ventrals on the first fish.
Attached Images

Last edited by trixie55555; 09-02-2013 at 12:36 PM.
trixie55555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta