Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #1691 
Marlow

Updates on my little 'guys'. I think..they look more like girls now..Oh boy, betta babies. Someday I will have even the slightest clue on how to tell genders apart..hopefully

Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #1692 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh...yeah they are both girls lol. The ventral's seem really long but look at the anal fins, very short and very rounded. Also I can see the shape of the ovaries behind the stomach as well, if they were boy's you would just see a round stomach after they're fed and nothing else behind it. Sammie and Dean could still work for girls though haha
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #1693 
Marlow

Heh, I think i'll name them something else x33
I've been trying to figure out what betta ovaries look like since I have this really strong light that I can almost 'candle' my fish with lol. Basically just a bump behind the stomach, or?

Maybe if I got a few more female babies of similar size I could start a sorority with my soon-to-be NPT 10gallon tank..But i'm not sure if i'm brave enough, honestly @.@
Old 10-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #1694 
hollyk

I just bought one of the poor little saps today. I got the smallest, saddest looking little bugger in the store- it's less than 3/4 inch long. He (for some reason I think it's a he, although there's really not a good way to tell) is looking pretty happy in his new home, though, and is enjoying the silk plants! He's darting around happily right now, so hopefully he'll be okay.
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #1695 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

This is actually Chachi's baby but the image works. I've outlined the stomach and where the ovaries would be if he was a girl, both are in red.

lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #1696 
Chica023xx

Petco "baby Bettas" Victim!!

I live in Danvers Mass, and the Peabody petco sells baby bettas. Most of the time they live in small terrible conditions such as there water is always dirty. I buy them because some are really bad and I just want to save them. I have had 6 baby bettas in total and I now have 4 left and 1 is now on its way out! I cry every time one dies because I ask myself what am I doing wrong! They are extremely sensitive!

The one I am losing now is a female who was so beautiful (white body, with red fins) and when the light from the sun hit her she would have a green shine to her. She did well for a year until I got a male betta and put him in the empty side of my 50 gallon tank. She got really stressed so I took the male out and now she has tried recovering ever since but just still not doing good.

Baby bettas from Petco are a bust. Every time I buy one it dies on me and I become heartbroken and depressed! These guys are extremely delicate it seems like. I just found out that my oldest "baby betta" now has a tumor and she is only 2 in a half yrs old.
Chica023xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #1697 
Marlow

Thanks for the pic! :D

I'm really sorry to hear about your baby bettas. When I got my first I had no idea they needed special care apart from smaller food- I have no idea how he survived to become the nice big fish he is today. Sheer dumb luck I suppose :/

I'm really tempted to grab a few more 'girls'. Do you think putting them in Sterilite Shoeboxes such as these http://www.sterilite.com/productfile...1_16428012.jpg would be safe until it was time to move them? I can get bigger sizes than my regular tanks if I buy those, but i'm not sure if any trace elements from the plastic would harm a fry :( I have a rack-ish setup so the heat and such is taken care off. I suppose I could toss a few guppy fry in and test it myself, but why make sacrifices when someone else could have the answer..:<
Old 10-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #1698 
JadeSparrow

So I went to get crickets and this little one ended up coming home with me. S/he was just so active that I couldn't leave him/her there in the store. S/he is named Sundance
JadeSparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #1699 
Marlow

Wow, that's a lot of colours in a fry. Really nice little guy ^^
Old 10-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #1700 
JadeSparrow

thanks ^^ there is also a blueish green shine to the body when sun swims through the light.
JadeSparrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta