Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #1711 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, I would separate them soon just in case. You really don't want to come home to one, maybe two dead babies they should be okay for maybe a week or so more but eventually they really do need either a divider or their own tanks.

Both look to be boys and yes Yin's red is fine, those are organs. However some of it does look like ammonia burns from being in those cups most likely.

So you know about the growth stunting hormone and how often to feed them and what, right? Feel free to PM me if you've got questions, or any breeder really ^_^
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #1712 
TiffanyP

I should really be banned from Petco haha Or from letting 10 year olds guilt trip me :P My boss's daughter was here this weekend and, as per usual, wanted to visit the two pet stores in town. So we went to Petco and she made a beeline for the bettas. Since I have 6 and she helps me care for them on weekends she's here, she's taken quite an interest in them. I showed her one of the veiltails that had been there for the past 3 weeks (along with the one I just got Thursday) and then a baby betta, who I think may end up being a dragon scale? Anyway - we left without buying anything which is good. But after we got home she goes "You know? Those fish are probably going to die if no one buys them. You'd make them feel better if you bought them and you'd love them too." *knife to the heart* So I said, "Yes, I know, but I don't have room for them right now, you know that." So she said, "You just have to scootch some stuff closer together and you can fit your two tiny tanks in where you don't think you can now." And that was the end of the conversation for then... but, thanks to a 10 year old, the seed had been planted. She went back to her mom's around noon today, and by 6 I couldn't fight it anymore. I went back to Petco with the intent of getting one of them... Walked out of the store with both *headdesk* So I have two new guys who I'm going to nurse back to health :) This is my baby, who has yet to be named. What do you think of his scales? He's in a very temporary .75 gallon tank with a heater. I'm going to split one of my 5 gallons between two boys, and if I can get the calcium deposits off of the other tank, I'll split that one too. If not I just plan on buying a new one. And then everyone will be comfy and cozy :)

TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #1713 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Awesome story Tiffany, made me giggle honestly. Kids are the cutest sometimes and the worst enablers! haha

Yes! That baby looks DS to me!! I've always wanted a DS baby, too cool! Looks like male DSPK ^_^
Old 10-13-2013, 09:56 PM   #1714 
TiffanyP

Once he unclamps a bit I'll get a better picture of him :) I have a picture of the other guy I picked up over in my journal, too, if anyone's interested in seeing him too. Also feel free to toss out name suggestions :)
Old 10-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #1715 
TiffanyP

Little man is for the most part unclamped this morning, yay! He's still 'tense' I think is what I would call it, but not as bad as yesterday. I got a good look at his tail when he was eating and I saw at least 4 rays! Does that mean he could potentially be a halfmoon? Or do plakats have 4 rays? I'm really not good with this tail type stuff haha
Old 10-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #1716 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

PK's can have anything from 2 ray's and up to 8 sometimes more if the person breeding is doing something weird lol. But generally traditional PK's have 2-4 ray's, sometimes 6 and then HMPK will have anything from 2-8 ray's generally. Of course there are exceptions but that's the general thing with them ^_^

Most likely your boy will be HMPK since his fins are so short! He's so cute! Can't wait to see more pics of him when he's feeling a little more friendly!
Old 10-14-2013, 11:42 PM   #1717 
TiffanyP

I played another round of musical aquariums today and reduced from 8 tanks to 7. I split a 5 gallon tank and now both babies are in there :)

Here's Icarus tonight. It's an awkward picture, but I'm glad it turned out how it did. 1. Because you can see a tiny bit of iridescence! and 2. Do you see ovaries? Is he really a she? Haha I've been watching the area behind 'his' stomach for about a week now and I can't tell if it's growing or if it's just part of his innards or if I'm just seeing things.

And here's Yoshi :) He reminds me of a frog in this first picture!

Lookit his adorable little face! <3

One more :)

And this is their new home! It has a sponge filter in it with an extender tube so the bubbles go to the top and don't push them around since they're so small. Their new heater should be here Wednesday or Thursday and then that will replace the one that's in there :)

Last edited by TiffanyP; 10-14-2013 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Massive picture lol
Old 10-14-2013, 11:49 PM   #1718 
PetMania

Perfect set-up ;)
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:53 PM   #1719 
TiffanyP

Thank you! It's my first attempt at a divided tank. I actually ended up putting them in the wrong sides haha the purple side was meant to be Icarus's side and the orange was supposed to be Yoshi's but I plopped them in the wrong sides... and I'm kind of glad I did :) I like Icarus with the orange and Yoshi with the purple.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:15 AM   #1720 
fidget

Super cute!! Their new home is great.
How are you doing water changes? How often? I have my babies in two 2.5g kks. I'd love to put them in a divided 5g.....
fidget is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta