Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2013, 11:21 PM   #1721 
TiffanyP

Well I just put them in there today, but I'm planning on doing 50% water changes every 2 days, M/W/F and then none on the weekends. I'll probably do that through December at least - not solely for cycling purposes, though it will help (which I'm trying to do, I have some API Quick Start that I added in today), but more to remove the growth stunting hormone.

As for how - I'll probably use the vacuum I have... do one side Monday, maybe just a water only change on Wednesday and then the other side with the vacuum again Friday?
TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:00 PM   #1722 
Niece

Guys would a 1.6 gallon be fine for a baby betta til I can get a bigger tank? It's an extra tank I had and I thought it would be easy to do the water changes til it's get old enough to go in a bigger tank.
Niece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #1723 
hollyk

I think a 1.6 gallon would be just fine until you can get him/her a bigger one. The only concern I would have would be temperature- baby bettas seem particularly sensitive to cold temps, and usually like their tanks a little warmer (82 degrees). Temperature can be harder to regulate on smaller tanks, but there are small heaters that work for them. Just keep an eye on the temp to make sure s/he's okay. Also, smaller tanks need to be cleaned and have their water changed more often to prevent ammonia poisoning, but it sounds like you're aware of the need for frequent water changes with a baby betta. Good luck with your little one!
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #1724 
Niece

Well I haven't got one yet just thinking about it.
And I would probably buy another hydor adjustable heater for the tank.
And maybe just one silk plant in there so it doesn't get stressed ehh idk I really want one though lol.
Niece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #1725 
hollyk

Well, I think that as long as you're willing to go the extra mile to provide the proper care for it, a baby betta would be better off with you than at least 90% of other Petco shoppers, who may have good intentions but not the knowledge to back it up. I'd say go for it!
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:57 AM   #1726 
alyymarie

I can't wait to get a baby betta, they have fascinated me ever since my PetCo first started carrying them. Plus the PetCo by my house takes such horrible care of their fish that I always want to bring them all home :(

I'm waiting until my 3 gallon tank frees up. I currently have a female betta in there that I'll be introducing into my community tank.

She and my last female were both almost babies too, but they were just being sold as regular females - their small size made me fall for them immediately. And they're so sweet. Unfortunately I lost one female last week, so this is my only girl. She's tiny and energetic though, I have high hopes for her in the big tank!
Attached Images

alyymarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #1727 
Viva

Two of the females I've gotten from Petco were still babies...they were so tiny. Luckily they made it through with proper diet. It seems like most of the babies and smaller bettas die of starvation because they are unable to eat the large pellets they feed them at the petstores :( Lucky you saved them Aly! It's sad that one didn't make it but you can't always save them from the stress they experience in transportation and just being at the pet store for a long period of time without proper care.

I just was at Petco yesterday and they had at least 2 dozen babies, one was severley clamped and skinny, and had at least 20 rotting pellets in the bottom of it's cup. It was really sad :( After losing two of my aquabid sorority girls in the last week, I decided to adopt another DT baby who I THINK is a male. I saw some that were definitely male VT's and I'm hoping this is a male DT. My other DT baby who turned out to be female is still doing great and so I split her 5.5g tank to make room for the new baby. He's a real cutie! Pics later. The DT female will join the sorority when I'm sure the columnaris has been defeated in there D:
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #1728 
TiffanyP

I love the colors on your little one Aly, very light and pastel :)

I have some new pics of my babies for you all :) I'll do a then pic and a now pic.

Icarus when I got him:

Icarus now:

Yoshi a week ago:

Yoshi now:

And Alaric isn't a baby anymore, but here's his then and now pictures too :D

The day I got him:

Now:

What a change!!
Old 10-21-2013, 03:11 PM   #1729 
Viva

Wow, Alaric looks amazing!!! I hope my new baby turns out to be a male so I can watch him grow! Icarus is soooooooooo cute! I instantly fall in love with any small, lightly-colored bettas. Icarus is so SHINY too! Adorable! She looks a lot better since you've gotten him, poor fella was all clamped from being at the pet store I'm sure :( Icarus looks like a young female, but it's hard for me to tell.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #1730 
TiffanyP

Thanks :D I'm so excited that I finally got a clear picture that shows off his colors so well!

Icarus doesn't have any ovaries that I can see, though that picture would sure suggest otherwise. It's just the intestinal area of his stomach :) I've wondered though and been watching him closely for the past few weeks and it just seems to be his stomach and the area around it. I do have a fallback name if for whatever reason some ovaries do end up growing in haha

If I could have 80 more babies I absolutely would :) Someday when I win the lottery I will haha I love watching them grow and bonding with them :D

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta