Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #1741 
alyymarie

That's so cool to see how much they change! I'm excited to see how my little female will look all grown up. I've taken to calling her Rainbow cause of how colorful her fins look in the light.
Haha I wish I could take all the baby bettas home! They always look so sad xp
alyymarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:14 AM   #1742 
DerangedUnicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidget View Post
Adorable!! Is Icarus a girl? I've never seen a ds baby!

Two questions for you guys: Does anyone have any idea how long they excrete the growth stunting hormone? And two, I read in someone's thread that a female will become egg bound if kept near a male- I was thinking about putting my babies in a 10g divided, but I think one is a male, one is a female. When would that become a concern?
I have the same exact questions. Anyone know?
DerangedUnicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:36 AM   #1743 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Regarding the egg-bound part, that's actually not completely true. The only way a female can become egg-bound is if she is unhealthy. Males and females can live together no problem in a divided tank, sometimes you'll get a lot of flaring but flaring is healthy for the baby anyway, at least to an extend. So you can have the babies live fine together in a divided tank, separate of course.

As far as the growth hormone, I don't know the exact age or anything but I assume once they become fully mature they stop excreting the hormone and just continue to grow. You'll know when males are sexually mature because they will start constructing real bubble nests, not just a few bubbles here and there but a full on, large bubble next. Females are a little more difficult to tell IMHO but they will show signs of wanting to mate if around a male, like breeding bars, flaring, dancing and flirting. Otherwise, you may just need to tell from the size of the fish.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #1744 
tanthalos

Though I might show updated pictures of my little one. I've had him/her for two weeks now. (S)he's one hard fish to get a picture of. I swear (s)he doesn't like to stay still for anything but eating.
Attached Images

tanthalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #1745 
summnd

As far as my experience with the Betta fry at PetCo (mine is all about the 'baby bettas') most have passed withing 24hrs of purchase, a handful passed within 1wk of purchase. A couple made it to adulthood. I expected that going into the purchases though, knowing fry are hard to keep. Most of the 'baby bettas' are smaller than my pinky nail and have little to no colour when they go on the shelf. My local PetCo is probably in the bottom 5 of PetCos, and most of their Bettas don't last 24hr on the shelf, fry or adult. I actually got told a couple months ago (when trying to buy a 5gallon for fry & having to settle for a 2.5gal) that the amount of space I wanted was "just ridiculous" because even ADULT Bettas will live "happily, for the rest of their lives, in the bowl they're sold in." Are you kidding!?

Anyway, that's my take/experience on PetCos Betta fry.
summnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #1746 
Quinn

Everyone is so cute!
Viva your little guy looks similar to my boy did when I brought him home. Although with a more normal topline, hahaha.

Here are my guys comparison pics. Came home on August 18th
Then

A few weeks later he colored up red

Now

Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #1747 
Viva

Omg Quinn he does look like my little guy! So cute! I definitely see red in his fins now but so far his body is colorless...it's crazy how your guy turned out to have blue in him, I would have never guessed that from his baby pics!
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #1748 
Quinn

Yeah he has next to no red anywhere on him now! He does have a small red dot on each pec, but that is pretty much it It's pretty wild the changes they go through. I'd love to see him go through another, but he seems to be holding steady for the past 2-3 weeks in this naked state right now, with a touch of blue near his tail (he's got a little lumpy area, part of his weirdo spine, that sticks out right before his tail, and is blue. His button!) and with a black patch on each, erm, would be shouldery area? haha
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #1749 
Viva

Hahaha, I think he looks like he'll gain more color or perhaps continue to change his whole life...lucky! A touch of black would be gorgeous on him :D
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:50 PM   #1750 
galtgirl

My New Baby

After reading all the posts on the Petco babies, I decided to try and raise one. I am new to Bettas....got my first one in early Sept and my second two weeks later.

This baby was the only one they had...it's really little...less than 1" in length but is active. It stays pretty much up at the top of the water. It's in a 1 gal, heated (82deg) unfiltered tank with a silk plant, a hidey hole and a marino moss ball. I've got gravel on the bottom but I'm going to take it out when I change the water tomorrow.

I'm a little worried because it hasn't eaten anything since I put it in the tank 24hrs ago. I've tried Omega micro pellets and frozen baby brine shrimp. I can't find daphnia anywhere. Should I order some freeze dried daphnia? I can't find frozen.

IF this little one makes it I plan to put he/she in a 3 gallon filtered tank.

For now I'll keep it warm and offer food 3 times a day. Anything else I should be doing?
Attached Images

galtgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta