Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #1781 
hollyk

I don't really know how to spot ovaries on a betta this small. You may be right!
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #1782 
Viva

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyk View Post
New baby! Anyone have any guesses what s/he is? (Besides a baby with ammonia burns? ) Thanks!
Judging by the fins it looks like a female VT :D
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #1783 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyk View Post
New baby! Anyone have any guesses what s/he is? (Besides a baby with ammonia burns? ) Thanks!
I actually want to say male and possibly PK but you really won't know until it get's older and fills out. It is hard to tell if there are ovaries or not or if it's too young yet. Try shining a light behind the fish, like a flashlight so that it's basically shining you in the face and then take a picture of the side of the baby. If you just see a round object behind the head, it's a boy, if you see the round object plus a triangular object, it's a girl ^_^ girls can have long fins as well, I had one that my LFS who is really good at sexing Betta's thought was a boy but yeah, turned out to be a girl lol
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #1784 
hollyk

Ok, thanks! It'll be interesting to find out. I have to find a flashlight and get him/her to hold still long enough to shine it. lol
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #1785 
Niece

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
They're quite a lot to take care of! But very worth it if you ask me ^_^

They will need at least 50% done every day if the tank is under 5 gallons, You can get away with doing a 100% every other day but if you can do every day that's going to be much healthier for them and better for them in the end; they'll grow faster since the growth hormone won't stunt their growth. And then they need to be fed preferably every 3-4 hours but 2-3 times a day will suffice. Small but frequent meals are the key to growth!

Ok thank you. =]
I had one before but it was when I didn't know about bettas lol and she's two now and I think I just got lucky with her. But I was thinking about getting another but I wanted to make sure I knew what to do this time.
Niece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:00 PM   #1786 
galtgirl

After losing my baby, I cleaned out the tank and put in fresh water and then got this little girl. Not a baby but still little and looks very healthy. That baby was just sad....maybe I will try again later.
Meet Angel. I have no experience with females; what kind is she?
Attached Images

galtgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:34 AM   #1787 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

She looks like a VT to me galtgirl ^_^ turquoise as well, almost fully green! she's super cute and sorry about your other baby as well, but this girl does look very healthy I agree.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #1788 
fawx

I got my two little devils on October 6th, and wow, they've visibly grown. :O I was having trouble finding food, but I bought some fry food (which is kinda sucky, but it's all they had..) and now I'm crushing up pellets cause they can eat the pieces. Ying and Yang are there names, one's white, one's dark colored. Ying's gonna be a double tail, the split has been there since i've had him. They're like wolves at feeding time!
fawx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:34 PM   #1789 
Player 2

My petco has them. Most show absolutely no signs of color, and are so small they disappear in their cups. I would love to have one but I hove very little experience with bettas. I would have to start a new tank for it and would not put something that little through such a hard thing. Everyday I realize that all my years of owning fish and there are still a lot of things I don't know.
Player 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:06 PM   #1790 
alyymarie

I finally got my first baby today! The PetCo by my house ran out of them so I went across town. And that PetCo was way nicer, the one by my house takes such terrible care of their fish.

But here she is! I'm assuming it's a "she" so far. They only had one baby there who was obviously male.
Her colors look funky in the picture, but she's very dark and has a green metallic sheen.
I can't wait to see her develop, so far she seems very active and healthy. Her belly's round so I haven't tried feeding her yet.
Attached Images

alyymarie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta