Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #171 
gossipgirl1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingart View Post
I bought a baby about a month ago. When I brought it home it was just a tiny, clear tadpole. Now, it actually looks like a baby fish. I'm pretty sure it's a male. He has long fins, maybe a delta tail? He still doesn't have any color, aside from some dark patches. I can see some iridescence here and there. Does anyone know how long it takes before they color up? Oh, one more thing, he's like a little puppy dog. If I put my hand in the tank to move something, he swims right into it! No fear :)
I've found variations with mine. With my first one, I was CERTAIN he was a "she" & then surprise! Almost overnight (after about 3 1/2 weeks with me) darkened up to red and grew long fins. Some of my other babies that are blues have begun to really hold their color within the last 3 weeks or so. My teals have stayed teal from the beginning. My 2 newest (and smallest I've seen-I've taken in 11 so far) are practically colorless. Madeleine may turn out to be a red, but I'm stumped as to what color Maleya will turn out to be. Good luck!
gossipgirl1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #172 
CalvinWill

Small update on my petco baby.

Growing slowly, but really starting to fill out in the fins. At this point I am pretty sure he is a DTVT. No new branches coming into his fins. I was hoping he would be a HM or Delta, but I like the way he looks.

He has learned a new trick. I make him jump for his food every time I feed him and he is getting really good at it. He started doing it on his own, so I decided it was a cute little trick to stick with.
Attached Images

CalvinWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #173 
styggian

I lost two of my three baby bettas x_x I believe it's because my tank temp dropped too much when we were hit with really cold below 0 weather and I didn't notice in time to bump up the heater to compensate. They looked healthy otherwise and had been eating well and very active. Makes me feel terrible.

My surviving one, the first I got, is growing very slowly. She's very runty compared to the rest of my girls, and still has a "hole" in her dorsal fin after about a monthish. The hole grew out and is a u-shaped segment missing. It's not from the other girls as it's stayed the same size and is closing up extremely slowly. She also has a very bent back. Poor thing. She eats well and swims well, she has no trouble getting around and is as much a pig as the other girls, so I'm not overly concerned, but the bump on her back may weaken her eventually.

I might try two more babies. I have 8 girls right now, in a 15g, with a huge Marineland biowheel filter for 30g tanks, so I'm overcompensating quite a bit on the filter. The one that came with the set up was only a 10-20g I think, but was really weak. I put it into my divided tank so both boys have water flow (baffled, of course).

I've got frozen bloodworms and daphnia now, everyone but my plakat male Ares loves it, so I imagine that'd be excellent for another pair of fry. They were doing very well on crushed NLS pellets and occasional crumbled freezedried bloodworm.

Ugh. Sad that they're even selling fry, the last shipment that they had were ridiculously tiny, I've never seen such small fish aside from livebearer fry! I swear they were barely a half inch long :/
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #174 
Enkil

I was at both PetSmart and PetCo today. Both had babies. I very nearly brought several home, but would not have the room for them. I felt horrible leaving them there. They were all in dirty cups in both places.

The ones at PetCo were so pretty! They had a couple labeled "Female VT" that very obviously were not VT. They are wither CT or combtails.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #175 
TeaZag

Updated picture of 'Fry'

Here are some picture of my baby betta! I think fry is a boy because he was putting his gills up at my female betta yesterday. Fry is getting so pretty and he is growing so fast! I moved him into a new tank that is 10 gallons with my 4 fish divided with a heater and filter. The petco does not have anymore baby bettas anymore for about a month. I think Fry maybe a crowntail because his fins are starting to look like a crowntail.

This is my one betta Swimlee and Fry looking ta each other.
TeaZag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:13 PM   #176 
TeaZag

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaZag View Post
Here are some picture of my baby betta! I think fry is a boy because he was putting his gills up at my female betta yesterday. Fry is getting so pretty and he is growing so fast! I moved him into a new tank that is 10 gallons with my 4 fish divided with a heater and filter. The petco does not have anymore baby bettas anymore for about a month. I think Fry maybe a crowntail because his fins are starting to look like a crowntail.

This is my one betta Swimlee and Fry looking ta each other.
I don't know if the pictures worked but if you can't see them here is a link to a few pictures of Fry. http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...type=3&theater

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...type=3&theater

This picture is of one of my bettas Swimlee and Fry looking at each other. http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...type=3&theater
TeaZag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:21 PM   #177 
Tappy4me

Here's a new picture of my Petco baby, Sapphira. :) She's grown alot since I first got her. She wasn't as small as most of ya'lls babies, but she was less than the length of a quarter! Stills still just over the size of one now, so quite tiny.

My 2.5 gal tank for her looks like a 10 gal with her in it. hehe

Tappy4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #178 
registereduser

Both of those colored up beautifully! The one I had never got any color before she died
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #179 
PaintingPintos

I was in Petco yesterday, and they have tall , narrow shelves full of betta fish. The cups are so tiny, and they are STOCKED with baby bettas. Some hardly have coloring yet. And somehow they can "correctly identify" what tail type, color, and gender the fish is. It's sickening. I was begging to rescue this teeny tiny "white crowntail female" but my mom said "You can't get a new pet every time you walk into a pet store" which is basically true...lol. I almost got a batch of ghost shrimp yesterday.
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #180 
djembekah

there was a really small betta at Petsense yesterday. he didnt swim much, but he was fluttering his little fins. he didn't have a lot of color but im not sure he was a baby. I kind of want to rescue him thursday...if he's still okay. HE HAD NO HOLE IN HIS LID AND IT WASN'T CRACKED EVEN A LITTLE so i cracked it open.
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta