Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #1891 
TiffanyP

As for water changes Bethany, I would suggest more than 50% a week. I do 3 50% changes on my babies every week (M/W/F, they're in a split 5 gallon, filtered/cycled), and I'd still do that many even if I just had one baby in there. The reason is, they release a growth stunting hormone (GSH) that does just that - stunts their growth. In the wild it's a defense mechanism, but it backfires when they're in a tank. The only way to remove it is with frequent water changes :)

And yay Holly! I love having my babies :) One of my adults died last night :( So I have an extra tank sitting around... I might just have to go get another baby for it! :D (after I clean it up real good that is lol)
TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #1892 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, with baby's you need to do water changes daily or at the minimum every other day with the hormone. Even if it's a filter/cycled/heated tank and it's 20 gallons, it doesn't matter. You need to get that hormone out so you don't go stunting your fish and that can lead to death which, is obviously no good!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #1893 
Bethany

Thanks! Good to know! :)
Bethany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #1894 
Bethany

Ok so all the research I could do and find on the GSH of fish is that it only happens if they don't have enough room to grow naturally and feel treated by other babies taking up there space so they relies the hormone in order to stunt the growth of the other fish. It happens in ponds that are over populated all the time. It is natural and is only bad if the fish is over crowded... say less then 5 gal or if you have lots of other fish in the tank. Does anyone have any research that proves that more frequent changes would be needed for a baby growing in a large enough space by themselves? I only ask because I have my tank well balanced and frequent changes would easily screw up that balance (I potently only need to do a 1/3 water change every 2mos when I change the filter.). I will do the changes if I can see proof that they are necessary in such a large tank. Thank you for any help you can provide in this area.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #1895 
fidget

PM'ing you some interesting stuff I found. It's kinda long to quote here and I'm not sure if it's ok to link...?
fidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:33 PM   #1896 
Bethany

fascinating read Fidget! Thank you so much for the link.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:18 PM   #1897 
Bethany

Great link on all the science and stuff behind this allusive hormone and how it works! I have determined that I don't need to do any extra water changes because I have a large space with plants and another species of fish, which according to the research neutralizes the hormone. He has almost doubled in size since I got him just over a week ago. Since he is growing so well I am going to continue on with the limited water changes and see how it goes. I will keep you all up to date as time goes on and if you would like the link, let me know and I will PM it to you.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:20 PM   #1898 
DerangedUnicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethany View Post
Great link on all the science and stuff behind this allusive hormone and how it works! I have determined that I don't need to do any extra water changes because I have a large space with plants and another species of fish, which according to the research neutralizes the hormone. He has almost doubled in size since I got him just over a week ago. Since he is growing so well I am going to continue on with the limited water changes and see how it goes. I will keep you all up to date as time goes on and if you would like the link, let me know and I will PM it to you.
I would like the link, please. Thank you!
DerangedUnicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #1899 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yes, I know there's been some info going around about the stunt hormone as a half myth. It's still true the part if you put a Common Pleco in a 10 gallon, yeah it's going to die because it's stunted of course. But it might not happen like we think it does to the babies.

However, I know with my Steve and Tony that I didn't do half as much water changes as I should until I got Hawkeye and I amped them up more and he grew while they didn't. Logisticsguy is currently experimenting with the hormone to see what he can find. So it's all up in the air right now but feel free to try it out Bethany.

With a cycled tank though, it won't hurt it if you change water more frequently than twice a week, three times at most really. You do want to keep the ammonia in there so you can siphon out water but not poo and that will keep your cycle nice and healthy. As long as you don't let the filter dry out or do a 100% change, you won't hurt your cycle.

Also, I'd like to the link as well if anyone else has it. I asked Hallyx and she hasn't gotten back yet lol
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #1900 
Bethany

Ok so apparently I am a dunce LOL I can't figure out how to PM a link. Figdet would you mind sending the link out, or if someone could tell me how to do it. It keeps telling me the link is not aloud.

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta