Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2014, 10:09 PM   #2001 
TiffanyP

Thank you Heifzilla :D He's quite a gem to have gotten him from Petco!

aliceapathy - I have my 2 babies in a split 5 gallon. You'll need to do every day, or every other day water changes though, about 50% or more each time. I would definitely get a heater that works better as babies like warmer temperatures about 82-84F. I've not heard of Baby Betta Pellets, but any good quality pellet will work so long as the pieces are small enough that they can eat them. I use New Life Spectrum small fish formula personally, but if you can get your hands on NLS Grow, that's a great choice as well. Be sure to feed them at least 2 times a day, 3 if you can get to it. Small but frequent meals :) Hope that helps!
TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:54 PM   #2002 
apm2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Its a boy ^_^
How can you tell?
apm2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:24 AM   #2003 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by apm2013 View Post
How can you tell?
Lack of ovaries is what i look for first then, body shape and fin length just reinforce it.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:45 PM   #2004 
alyymarie

Baby number 1 update

I just took some new shots of my 2 babies - they're not really babies anymore! :)
But I thought it was really cool to see how much they've changed, so I wanted to share them with you guys!

This first one is my girl Rainbow - she wasn't labeled a 'baby' when I got her, but she was definitely very young and tiny, a colorless little white/pastel thing.
She has now gotten big and fat in her community tank, where she eats EVERYthing lol. I just adore her color-blocks.
A before and after:
Attached Images

alyymarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:48 PM   #2005 
alyymarie

Baby number 2 update

And this is my 2nd baby that I got on Halloween, still haven't named her yet!
She's still growing out in her 3 gallon, being a little piggy.

She's very dark so it's hard to see her colors, but she has turned from fairly colorless into a dark blue, with the prettiest red fins.
A before and after of her:
And let me know if you have any name suggestions :)
Attached Images

alyymarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:28 PM   #2006 
rawxy

Top picture is from two weeks ago and the bottom picture is now! He was in a cup so he looks a little curved but he did grow a tad bit and he's orange yellow with green iridescence! Oh yeah, his eye's are blue now too!

rawxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:19 PM   #2007 
Juiceboxjesus

Hello. Today my boyfriend and I went to Petco in search of getting a fish. We went in with expectations of just getting a full grown Betta fish but came across little baby Betta fish and wanted to take one home. We expect and want to raise it to a full healthy Betta.

The photos attached above (sorry if they are low quality) are of his tank, which we are running a filter on and waiting a full 24 hours before putting him into his new home. Another photo is of the baby Betta itself. We aren't sure of the sex of it yet, but I am assuming it is a female? I'm unsure. His/her colors seem vibrant in the light but he looks dark when there is no light shining directly on him and I read that color standing out is a good thing as of now which means he is healthy. I am also unsure of how old it is. We fed him some small pellets that came with his tank and he actually ate them right away which I wasn't expecting but I am super glad he did. He is actively swimming around his little cup and seems like he's happy.

I am nervous about the fact that we got him from Petco, and it seems like their representation of caring for the Betta fish aren't very high or okay. Also the fact that he is so young scares me a little bit. He seems okay for now. I am also nervous about transferring him to his tank tomorrow.

I have had experience with a Betta fish before but he was a full grown male and he lived +2 years so I have high hopes for this little one. Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated such as things he may need, what he should be eating, how much he should be eating, is a heater for his tank absolutely necessary, and how old he may be. Thank you for the help!!! I can't wait to raise this little baby up and make sure he has an awesome life.

Last edited by Juiceboxjesus; 01-15-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Juiceboxjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:40 PM   #2008 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceboxjesus View Post

Hello. Today my boyfriend and I went to Petco in search of getting a fish. We went in with expectations of just getting a full grown Betta fish but came across little baby Betta fish and wanted to take one home. We expect and want to raise it to a full healthy Betta.

The photos attached above (sorry if they are low quality) are of his tank, which we are running a filter on and waiting a full 24 hours before putting him into his new home. Another photo is of the baby Betta itself. We aren't sure of the sex of it yet, but I am assuming it is a female? I'm unsure. His/her colors seem vibrant in the light but he looks dark when there is no light shining directly on him and I read that color standing out is a good thing as of now which means he is healthy. I am also unsure of how old it is. We fed him some small pellets that came with his tank and he actually ate them right away which I wasn't expecting but I am super glad he did. He is actively swimming around his little cup and seems like he's happy.

I am nervous about the fact that we got him from Petco, and it seems like their representation of caring for the Betta fish aren't very high or okay. Also the fact that he is so young scares me a little bit. He seems okay for now. I am also nervous about transferring him to his tank tomorrow.

I have had experience with a Betta fish before but he was a full grown male and he lived +2 years so I have high hopes for this little one. Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated such as things he may need, what he should be eating, how much he should be eating, is a heater for his tank absolutely necessary, and how old he may be. Thank you for the help!!! I can't wait to raise this little baby up and make sure he has an awesome life.
Congratulations on the new little one! Here's some help I've quoted myself on so I don't have to rewrite it lol. Let me know if anything needs to be elaborated on.

Quote:
Well, there's lots of maintenance.

Water changes must be done daily optimally, every other day will suffice but won't be as good. Baby will be better if it's in a heavily planted tank but otherwise you'll have to do daily, at least 50% water changes.

Babies eat every 3-4 hours so 3 times a day is great, if you can only get twice that's okay but better if they get 3 meals. Small but frequent meals is what you want. They need high protein foods, NLS grow formula is wonderful. Any frozen foods like bloodworms (avoid if it's a DT), daphnia, and brine shrimp are wonderful and can be fed daily. Try to avoid bloodworms daily though if you notice your baby having issues with its swim bladder, bloodworms tend to cause constipation as do flakes. Avoid flakes if you can but they will suffice if you must.

Keep the temperature around 82 degrees, 84 is great. The higher the temp the faster their metabolism works which means the more they will eat. Same goes for adults.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:13 PM   #2009 
Juiceboxjesus

Quote:
Congratulations on the new little one! Here's some help I've quoted myself on so I don't have to rewrite it lol. Let me know if anything needs to be elaborated on.
Do you think baby is a boy or girl? My boyfriend thinks it's a boy, mainly because he wants to name it after someone from Game Of Thrones, but I think it is a girl.
Juiceboxjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:22 PM   #2010 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceboxjesus View Post
Do you think baby is a boy or girl? My boyfriend thinks it's a boy, mainly because he wants to name it after someone from Game Of Thrones, but I think it is a girl.
Sorry hun, it's a boy lol. Most likely VT as well ^_^

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta