Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2012, 07:23 AM   #221 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I really dont like pet stores selling the babies I feel many people are not prepared for it.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:31 AM   #222 
bettasareawesome

Location: Iowa, Midwest, USA, North America, Earth, The Sol Star System, Milky Way
I don't think the stripes are anything to worry about I've never seen Sushi without hers and she is happy and swimming away in her tank.
bettasareawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #223 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

It would nice to get one you have them longer.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:46 AM   #224 
TheMCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
I really dont like pet stores selling the babies I feel many people are not prepared for it.
Mine has been very easy to care for. Easier than the adults I have, really - the adults were all fussy eaters, I thought one of them was going to starve himself to death but I've FINALLY got them all accepting food as of about two days ago... but baby has always been willing to eat what I feed him/her, and has been growing rapidly and seems to be thriving.

I think I may have gotten it slightly older than some of the babies I saw at petco this morning, though. Some of them were quite remarkably tiny.
TheMCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #225 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Babies are harder to care for than adults.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #226 
Wendyjo

Mine has been easy to care for too. They do require more frequent water changes and feedings and warmer temps, but overall she's been fun and friendly and an easy going little fish. And they grow so fast that soon they are adults and don't need any special care.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:58 AM   #227 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I never said they are hard I said they are harder than regular to care for than regular bettas.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #228 
Meggie6347

I currently have 4 that I am raising together...i feed them 3-5 times a day a mixture of bloodworms and brine shrimp.

The first one I got a little more than a month ago and she was extremely tiny with no color and she was very skinny and unhealthy looking...I put my breeder net in my ten gallon community and put her in it (after raising the temp to 81)...when she got big enough, I released her into the tank and she has been getting along with the other fish splendidly. I still feed her the same diet.

I then got 3 more...one is in the net like the first one was, and the other 2 are still in their cups...before you gasp at me keeping them in cups, the cups are very large compared to other ones, they get cleaned out every single night religiously, and they are floated in my ten gallon, so they are very warm...one of the ones in the cup was a sympathy buy...he/she was very skinny and lethargic and sick...his/her fins looked shredded...the other one was a bit healthier, but still not great...both are improving immensely and growing. When they are all large enough and healthy enough, I will release them as well into the tank.

My plan for these guys is to move them into my science teacher's tank at school that she is letting me redo...and she is giving me the money and volunteer hours for it. That is why I am raising them together as well, in hopes that there will be less aggression in the future...they can all see each other through the nets and cups.

My biggest tips for baby bettas that I have learned through experiences (bad ones as well)...in case anybody wants some:
-Warm water is EXTREMELY important...even more so than adults I think..I like to keep mine at a steady 80-82 and I have had the best results with it.
-Diet: I feed my guys bloodworms and brine shrimp (frozen) 3-5 times a day..I highly recommend food like this (as in frozen or live) because I fed flakes or pellets to a betta baby that I had a while ago and she never grew, always looked sick, and didn't live more than 8 months...(not saying that you cant be successful with pellets or flakes...i just never was). on this diet the first baby betta I talked about here is almost...hmm...2 inches maybe? Just a bit less...maybe an inch and a half? And she started out at about .5-.75 inches and sick..(also, quick tip, when you feed them, feed them enough to make their tummies full...as in make it look like they swallowed a tiny marble ...you want them nice and full every time they eat)
-clean water...not only are they more sensitive to ammonia (I think), I have heard that they release a growth stunting hormone into the water that can only be removed with wc's...so keep it really clean for them!

Bby bettas can be very high maitenance (for me, anyway...because I have to many... ) but it can be so worth it! Especially when you know that they probably wouldn't have survived much longer without you! And that you are giving them a chance at a long, healthy life!

Last edited by Meggie6347; 11-23-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #229 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Not that that they are more sensitive they get worse affects.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #230 
Meggie6347

Sorry, that's what I meant ^ ...it can have a worse effect in the long run for them.
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta