Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2012, 11:30 PM   #281 
gossipgirl1031

That's what I've done in the past. I've had a pretty high success rate with the babies & growing them into adults. Then finding good forever homes for them. Not for profit though, just because I enjoy the process. And I love seeing the betta go to the right home when it's old enough. Last year around this time I had at least 10 or so growing. They've all gone to new homes. I'm currently raising one, but am always on the lookout for more. They keep the stores so cold.
gossipgirl1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:00 AM   #282 
bettasareawesome

Location: Iowa, Midwest, USA, North America, Earth, The Sol Star System, Milky Way
so has anyone gotten one of those baby's that looked like they barely were growing fins and looked like nearly born fry? How well did that work out? And if anyone did what did they do to take care of him/her?
bettasareawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:11 AM   #283 
Tikibirds

I have seen them pretty small but my petco hasn't had any since middle of summer. A few Juvinile adults but no actual baby's.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 12-15-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:17 AM   #284 
gossipgirl1031

Yep. I did. Super tiny. Could fit on a dime. I've had a few that small. Got one about that size right now that is starting to grow ever so slowly.

Biggest thing-keep them warm (warmer than a normal betta) and they need to eat a few times a day. And water changes are more frequent for mine since I keep my babies in smaller heated tanks and a warm room. I've found that the ones I've taken in do better in nothing bigger than a gallon (smaller for teeny-tinies). They get lost in bigger tanks and I don't use a filter until they're big enough to swim better.

NLS Growth works well for food, but even that needs to be crushed for the really little ones.

Any other questions, let me know. I hope to get a few more to raise to adults soon. It's cold where I live & they don't last long in the stores. The last couple times, I've only seen dead ones.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:32 AM   #285 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Would it be wrong to buy baby Bettas. Raise them to adulthood and then find them good homes and do that over and over again? Because it would be saving them?
Depends who you ask. Some people are going to tell you that all you are doing is contributing to the cycle of betta abuse. personally, I am all for removing bettas from petco/walmart/petsmart and providing them with a proper home.

I would be more willing to do it with adults though. They are alot stronger and less vunerable then the babies. I tried it 4 times and only 1 made it to adulthood. I think alot of that has to do with the conditions petco keeps them in and the stress of shipping. My petco has the babies off in a corner not even with the adult bettas.

That being said, If I do see them, I will pick one up. I really liked being able to watch my little girl grow up into an adult - white body with red fins.

Her fins looke dhuge on her

SHe has grown a bit more since the above pic. She does have a weird rash thing on her cheeks - not sure if its a breeding dyformity or what.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 12-15-2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:15 AM   #286 
gossipgirl1031

She's so pretty Tiki!!

And I haven't adopted any out until they were pretty much adults. Too risky otherwise. Definitely knew the sex & they were close to full grown. If you don't have much experience with them, it's tough. Heck, it's tough when you do. I found a system that works for me.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:30 AM   #287 
Tikibirds

A more recent pic - from last week.

The last one I picked up - poor thing had an ammonia level that turned dark green. He lasted about 2-3 weeks but he never ate anything, not even bloodworms and couldn't swim. I had him floating in cup, inside a breeder net that was in a 20G tank.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:37 AM   #288 
gossipgirl1031

She's so pretty :) And I know she has a wonderful home.

That's scary about the ammonia. The one right before this had a similar situation. This new one is finally starting to lose the real red & inflamed gills. Still not a great eater, but working on it. Constant struggle. I just have to remember patience.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:58 AM   #289 
Tikibirds

I named her Princess Azula
Old 12-15-2012, 05:08 AM   #290 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

The only reason I dont want one is there is no gender guarentee.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta