Betta Fish Forum banner
521K views 5K replies 635 participants last post by  Lyonfish 
#1 ·
I've seen several threads regarding "Baby Betta" for sale at PetCo. I wanted to start this thread for all discussion about PetCo selling Baby Betta, pictures of your new fish or what you've seen at your local stores, and stories of our success and failures.

I am really not sure how I feel about Betta being sold so small. I know that in the hands of your average fish keeper most do not have a chance. Those that do survive to adulthood will probably spend the rest of their lives in cold water in the 1/4 gallon "tank" they have stocked with them in the display.

Regardless, after hearing about petco selling true "baby" betta, I had to go take a look. Sure enough, I saw no less then 30 colorless, unsexable almost-fry less then the size of my thumbnail, fins included.

I had no intention of actually buying one of these poor fish, but then I saw one that was slightly larger then the rest in the baby cups. This one had started to show a blue and red mix of color and was clearly a double tail. Sure enough I walked out of the store with a miniscule but potentially beautiful new fish at the low low cost of $1.99.

I brought him home on Saturday. He is in M1's old 1 gallon corner tank. My apartment is running at a cool 80 degrees and his tank is holding solid at a comfortable 78. If he makes it to be large enough, I will add him to the empty section of my divided 10 gallon. He currently eats crushed hikari and frozen bloodworms.

Not going to get too attached to his fragile little guy just yet, but my fingers are crossed.

Anyone else fall victim to this cuteness trap? Post your pictures and tell your stories.

Attachments

See less See more
#1,213 ·
S/he looks wonderful TOC! I'm super happy that you were able to get her/him. I'm inclined to say that it is a female but I also know that it's nearly too nearly to tell, but looks like maybe a start to some ovaries behind her stomach! But of course that can change ;-)

Lookin good everyone!

#1,216 ·
8 weeks and they already look so healthy and with so much colour! It's good to know that's how they're supposed to look like with care, unlike the stressed, colourless pet store baby bettas. :/
Very cute, I love number 3 and 4's colourations!

#1,217 ·
Oh man logistics, that's totally cheating XD I wish my boys looked like they were actually 8 weeks >< I've had them two whole months and they still look younger than that!

Lovin that lipstick on the second to last! And the pattern on the last one, love it!

#1,218 ·
Wow, they look so different than the petco babies, that's crazy! They're beautiful, makes me even sadder for the little babies in the cups though!

I'm going to try to take a video of my baby eating off the spoon later, I'm pretty sure he thinks he's a shark. He's so little but so aggressive!

#1,221 ·
Here's updated pics of my two double tails. I got them around May 24th so over a month ago...the first photos of them are on page 99 of this thread. They haven't really changed a whole lot, so hoping that they are both girls.

Pretty sure this is a female dragon DT! She almost didn't make it at first but is now super feisty.

This one I thought was a boy at first, but no fin growth really so not sure now.

#1,222 ·
Looking really good Carbon! Looks like the second one is a boy, I don't see any ovaries behind the stomach. First does look like a girl but since I can't see ovaries because it's opaque it's hard to say ^_^

#1,224 ·
Awww what a sad looking little bit. I hope that with your care and attention that it will thrive!

#1,233 ·
I thought my baby had torn her fins once but really it was just fin growth - sometimes part of the fins grow faster than the others making it look like a chunk is missing. Really it just hasn't grown in yet. She looks great and her gold/red shimmer is beautiful!

#1,234 ·
Yeah TOC that looks like a tail biter to me but probably nothing to worry about.

I see the start of fin rot on the dorsal though, hopefully enough frequent water changes will help that :-D

#1,235 ·
I swear these little stinkers double in size overnight! I left Alaric for 2 nights (with someone to feed him for me) and I couldn't hardly believe he was the same fish! :) I think he's going to be a crown tail by the way his fins look now - I'll take a couple of new pictures and post them later.

Phoenix is looking good :) Can't wait til she starts showing more color!

#1,238 ·
Looks like VT to me with maybe some CT down the genetic pike, possibly might be a Combtail but more often than not VT's will have ray's that stick out just like that, making them not perfect VT's but they're still VT's. But there's always a possibility since he looks like he has a long way to grow still!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.