Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #451 
BaboBetta

Hi Everyone. Im usually a lurker on here. But anywho..I wanted to ask a few questions and see if anyone can help me out. Acouple of days ago before I went to pick up my kids from school I stopped by Petco to kill some time. And I was shocked to see they are selling baby bettas this young. I saw a few that were dying..some were laying at the bottom of the cup. I walked out of the store still shock, upset and sad all at the same time. But turned my butt around and decided maybe i could help the poor lil guys out. So I ended up buying two that were just laying on the bottom of the cups. (I do have the tanks and food (brine shrimp eggs that i could hatch) to feed them). So..here's my thing. I decided to put them in a 1 gal tank that's been divided for now. I was thinking maybe i could put them in a ten gallon tank (divided of course) but how much water should i put? Half way? full? As you can see they are pretty tiny. I don't want them to exhaust themselves trying to get air. I do have a heater. Their water are usually around 78-80. They are alot more livelier then when i first saw them. One other problem is that i notice that the red one has alil white spot on her/his fin. What can i do to treat it if it's ick? It's just one speck of white on her/his fin. Thats it. She/he is eating and swimming all over the place. And seem happy. any thoughts or advice is appreciated. thanks in advance.

BaboBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:05 PM   #452 
carbonxxkidd

Aww, they are so cute! They definitely look happy in their little tank. If they don't have any trouble swimming I would think putting them in the 10 gallon would be fine...my baby is in a 29g sorority tank with 9 adult females and is doing great! My baby betta also had one random white spot on it's fin when I brought it home too and I just kept an eye on it and it ended up going away on its own. If more spots appear then it's probably ick but I wouldn't treat until then.
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:17 PM   #453 
BaboBetta

you think i should fill the water all the way up for the 10 gal?
Old 01-17-2013, 11:23 PM   #454 
carbonxxkidd

If they are swimming around well enough, I would. From reading this thread and others on here baby bettas need a lot of space and a lot of water changes otherwise their growth can get stunted. :)
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:35 PM   #455 
BaboBetta

oooh okay. Thanks for the advice Carbonxxkidd
Old 01-18-2013, 12:18 AM   #456 
BaboBetta

Here is what the white spot looks like. Sorry the pic isn't as clear as i would like it to be. I took the pic with my phone. something i should worry about or no?

Old 01-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #457 
Viva

Awww a little white baby! How cute! The small white spot looks like it could be a fungal growth, is it "fuzzy" looking? If there are a lot of small white dots that aren't fuzzy looking its probably Ich. Both are easily treatable. Sometimes the fungus will just go away on its own if the fish is healthy, but I dipped my Corydora in some Methylene Blue and within 2 days it was gone.

Today I woke up and couldn't find my baby betta...I freaked out! I checked EVERYWHERE and thought maybe she had jumped out. Luckily she was just hiding behind the driftwood but she was sooooo pale that she was blending into the white sand at the bottom. I don't know whats making her stress so much but I did a 50% water change right away and dropped a few drops extra of Prime. Within 5 minutes she had gained back some of her color but was scared of me when I went up to the tank and would dart around. Usually she happily swims over and greets me. I did get her to eat couple pellets but she ate them very fast and then darted back down to the bottom of the tank again :( Stupid me didn't test the water params because I was in too much of a hurry and didn't even think of it, I should do that now. I hope my bb are ok and that it is not something to do with my "cycle" but it could very well be since the tank has only been up since the end of November and a couple mornings ago I woke up to find the filter was unplugged....so I'm not sure how long it was off for...damn cats :(

Last edited by Viva; 01-18-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #458 
BaboBetta

Thanks Viva. I have them in a divided tank. Should i separate them? is it contagious? oh and it does look alil fuzzy. Its hard to tell cause it's so small

Last edited by BaboBetta; 01-18-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #459 
Viva

Ich is highly contagious and fungus lives in basically all aquarium water. The fish only gets a growth if its immune system isn't up to par or it is injured (my Cory took a bite from my betta right where it's fin meets the body). I did not quarantine my Cory from the other 3 and my betta, but only because I didn't have another tank large enough to quarantine it in. I would separate yours just to safe.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:15 PM   #460 
BaboBetta

thanks for all your help viva. Im glad your betta is okay. I always check up on my bettas too and panick when i can't find them. Because before i lost my two precious bettas to a freakin lizard. I was so mad i had to hunt it down.

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta