Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2013, 11:58 PM   #491 
laur3namb3r

Singinghobbit, our babys look identical! So cute! When I went to get Copernicus, I couldn't believe how small they sold them. Luckily, there were only about 5-6 there at the time...although I'm sure they get them in frequently. I saw a family buying their MAYBE 4 yr old a baby betta! Poor thing...I hope s/he is doing ok.

Sidenote: when is it ok to stop doing feedings 3x a day? I've had Copernicus for a month now, and he's about an inch and a half. I'm still doing water changes every 2-3 days, too.
laur3namb3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #492 
Viva

Prize, my baby I got 5 weeks ago, is growing up quick! I hope she gets more color to her in the future, but for now watch her and Cinder flirt together in this video. Notice she starts with horizontal stress stripes and within a minute Cinder has given her (what I believe to be) vertical breeding stripes! They grow up too fast :(
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:46 PM   #493 
nattiejeanne

Got my first Betta!

I was at Petco yesterday and I saw the baby Bettas and they looked so tiny and unhealthy. I have no experience with Bettas but I really felt like I needed to take one home and give it a good chance. I bought one of the tiny Betta tanks they have on display near them. As soon as I got home and did some research I realized this was not going to work. So I went to PetSmart and got a 2.5 gallon tank, and a heater, as well as some frozen brine shrimp. Today I went back and got a better heater and a filter. Oh, and I also got some plants. I have to say the little guy seems to be doing great. I also started a blog because I've been having a hard time finding info, so I'm hoping my experience can help someone else. Plus I think it will be cool to go back and loot at pictures as he or she gets bigger. Any advice is welcome. Please check out my blog (link below) to see what I've been doing and let me know any tips/advice.

Here is a picture. He is sooooo tiny.

http://nataliesbabybetta.blogspot.co...you-petco.html
nattiejeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #494 
babybetta

I got one about a week ago feeding on baby brine shrimp and finely crushed flake. pretty active and happy. I think it may be male and very young as its around dime sized. Want to breed someday (probably not him/her) just dont have the funds yet so I'm seeing if I can raise up this little guy. sorry for quality Its jar is a bit over a gallon in size.

Last edited by babybetta; 02-02-2013 at 07:39 PM.
babybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #495 
oneliltiger

Baby Beta School

So I am new at this, but I just had to join in on the chat about these fish. i want people to learn from my beginner adventures with baby betta.

I've never had a fish before, despite how much I love them. I'm talking serious too I don't even eat fish because they are too pretty. Also having a fish is cheaper than adding an extra 300 on my bill to keep a dog. Yikes.

So I went to petco for a betta, and I thought it would be fairly simple to keep one due to the common misconception about them needing just food and a bowl.

I got a 1.5 liter tank because I feel for a feisty little betta baby at petco, who I named Poseidon.

I took it home and it did wonderfully for the first night, very active, until the late part of the night. I live alone so my watch on him has been extremely close. He seemed sluggish, and hovered to the top of the bowl. I got online and researched, I learned that bettas don't like currents, but it is helpful for them to have a air pump for oxygen circulation even though it is not necessary. And they need a heater for temps 78-80. 82 for a baby. My apartment was freezing, so in the early morning I got a mini heater and a battery airpump. The baby flourished with the additions and seemed to enjoy the air stream (after I had slit a hole in the tubing to make the flow baby friendly). I even got a plant because I'd read live plants cycle the ammonia.

I was starting to learn more about cycling by this point and was worried about my tank size. (partially due to the heater being too strong that I monitored it constantly, and partially for the tank cycling) I couldn't even sleep because I worried so much. I didn't want my new fish to die of my ignorance. I had already done a 100 percent change on day one and day two. But the third morning I noticed slight reddening of my fishes gills, and poor baby started to gasp a little now and again. (By now I researched diseases to guess it had to be water quality, most likely ammonia)

I set out again (my third visit to the store) and got a testing kit. The levels were fine except for the ammonia as expected. I panicked and packed away Poseidon and his plant into an open sandwich baggie, I got everything I had purchased, the tiny tank, pump and an overhead LED light, and my receipts and charged back to the store for a fourth time.

I argued with the lady about misinformation I had gotten from the Friday I bought the fish, and got the store to fully refund those prices towards a new tank. I kept the heater which I knew worked for a 2-5 gallon, and set about getting that size 2 gallon tank with an air pumped and lights. I found a good filter on sale and added that even though the lady at the store said I didn't need one. I was beyond frustrated for my fish and the misinformation at the store.

I rushed back home with my supplies (including cleaner and new gravel since the first tank came with it and I gave it back) and set about setting up my tank as fast as possible. It took awhile with the filter and air pump and lights which needed to be set, but I started with a good few liters and turned on the heater. Poseidon was still in the bag with his plant, poor dear was panicking wondering what the hell I did to his house.

I checked the water with my kit and made sure the water started fresh and healthy, and waited long for the temp to rise, and set my baby still in the sealed bag of old water into the water to acclimate temperatures. After 10 min I was super careful to completely rid all his old water to keep the new tank clean and plopped him in. He was really stressed at first, but he was gasping a lot less, and much more active at the right temp.

I'd finally done right by the poor dear. He's finally at the right parameters. His gills are gradually healing, and the redness in the gills is going away, along with his gasping. He even got some color today! His fins are turning a healthy red without blemish or unhealthy signs. He's been eating like a pig this whole time, but he's much better. I really want him to make it, so I've been a wreak trying to help him and I finally feel better after all this about my knowledge about what he needs.

So my recommendations for Petco betta Babies is as follows:

- 2 gallon tank

- Filter is a must to rid poop, even if you don't see the poop/fish is very small. My ammonia was bad despite 100 changes and I never gave the fish more food than it could eat. Also I covered the opening of my filter with cut up panty hose to protect my baby in case it got close, he is that small.

- Heater and thermometer. Must be a good 79-82 for babies

- Air pump (somewhat optional, but my baby doesn't need to stay at the top to breath so I recommend getting a built in in the tank (filters are $13, whereas pumps are at minimum a good $20, and that's battery powered)

- Hikari Baby Micro Pellets, actually came in the original tank I bought XD, they literally are the size of pepper (Blood worms live have been a risk from what I've read because the baby is so fragile, if it has any bacteria betta is at risk)

- Live plant may be a good idea to help regulate ammonia provided it's not dying and is healthy.

- Tester kit, ph, ammonia, nitrate

- CONSTANT VIGILENCE, if I'd been slower about it my betta may not be here :C
Attached Images

oneliltiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #496 
Brey0255

I got my Charlie about two weeks ago from petco. At first she was puny and colorless, but she's growing well and starting to color up.
Attached Images

Brey0255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #497 
Viva

Glad your baby betta is doing well tiger! They grow up quick so takes lots of pictures. I took a picture almost every day for my first baby betta so I could see how she progressed (check my album on my profile if you want to take a look...it has a pic every few days because I didn't want to upload ALL of them).
Old 02-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #498 
graciecny

Unfortunately I lost my little gal last night. She was fine in the morning, but had a tiny bit of fuzz on her one pectoral fin (she had somehow bent that fin a few days back) and by last night when I fed them she was clamped and her dorsal fin even had a bit of fuzz on it. This morning she was gone.

I am so bothered by the loss of that little fish. ~sigh~ I spent a while last night reading up on what might be wrong and was planning to go after work today to get some meds (I think it was fungal, but not sure), but I knew when she wouldn't eat last night something was very, very wrong.

That little fish would LEAP at the food! And to have her not eat...I just knew she'd be gone when I got up, and she was. I wonder if I should have put her down last night rather than let her suffer. Anyways, just had to share. No more bettas for me, I think. Clearly I don't have a knack for them.

I'll keep an eye on the rest of the fish, but I wonder if it was an issue with the lowered flow through the breeder she was kept in...I read something about the fungal infections liking still water. Please keep your fingers crossed for the rest of the fish for me.

ETA: I forgot her picture was on here...just looking at that makes me teary-eyed.
graciecny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #499 
Brey0255

and here is Charlie in her new tank! I decided she is big enough and moved her today. She did pretty well throughout the process... and I think she likes her new digs.
Attached Images

Brey0255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #500 
Viva

Sorry for your loss gracie :( Fungus I think lives in almost every aquarium but usually the fish can fight back an infection as long as they have no injuries and a healthy immune system. Its possible your baby injured her fin, giving the fungus a vantage point. "Fungus spores are opportunistic and given the chance will invade most types of organic material, including living tissue. Fungus do not harm healthy aquarium fish because the mucus layer on the skin of a fish prevents the spores from infecting its living tissues." This happened to my Corydora catfish when my betta bit his pectoral. He developed a small white, fuzzy patch right where the bite was. I dipped him in a Methylene Blue solution for 8 - 10 seconds, and within 3 days the fungus was gone. Here's a nice article where I learned a lot about fungus in the aquarium.

I don't think you should give up on bettas...it is a learning experience and you did all you could at the time. Baby fish are just more delicate than adults and sometimes there's nothing you can do to save them. You will hopefully have learned from this experience and will be able to help the next fishy in need.

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta