Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #561 
angus

I decided against the baby bettas. I feel bad for them, but I'm afraid I don't have enough knowledge to help them. I did get a new betta today though.
angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #562 
missnikki

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah16 View Post
You have a brilliant mind Choc!
I'm sorry but I don't see exploiting baby fish and giving Petco even MORE reason to exploit the fish themselves as being "brilliant". It's using an innocent little being to your own advantage.
missnikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:20 AM   #563 
jessp118

Quote:
Originally Posted by missnikki View Post
I'm sorry but I don't see exploiting baby fish and giving Petco even MORE reason to exploit the fish themselves as being "brilliant". It's using an innocent little being to your own advantage.
Do you realize that they will never stop selling the baby bettas. For each dead fish, they get some of their money back. They pay maybe 10 cents for the little fish. They don't care if you buy them or not. Petco clearly doesn't care when the bettas die in their cups. I've seen the same betta dead in its cup for weeks before they realize that the fish is dead. IMO it is better to save a fish from dieing in their own waste.
jessp118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #564 
Fishy Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus View Post
I decided against the baby bettas. I feel bad for them, but I'm afraid I don't have enough knowledge to help them. I did get a new betta today though.
Here's what I did. All the babies were dead when I was at the local Petco except one in poor condition. She was tiny with absolutely no color. You could see right through her. I took her home because I knew she would be dead within the next day. I had an extra gallon bowl with one of those small preset heaters that kept the water at 80 degrees. I bought a small silk plant they had next to the bettas & put that in there. To start I crushed up pellets, egg yolk, & used tank nibblers (the one with spirulina in it & used it before water changes because it's messy) for feedings & changed did a 100% water change every other day. She turned into a big, fat, healthy girl who is a piggy! She also super friendly & great sorority material.

Last edited by Fishy Mom; 02-18-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #565 
Viva

Not buying the baby bettas is kinda like being a vegan because you "love" animals. The same amount of animals are going to be bred every year for slaughter anyways, and now you're cheating yourself out of nourishment and letting the dead animals rot away without being eaten.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:53 AM   #566 
missnikki

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessp118 View Post
Do you realize that they will never stop selling the baby bettas. For each dead fish, they get some of their money back. They pay maybe 10 cents for the little fish. They don't care if you buy them or not. Petco clearly doesn't care when the bettas die in their cups. I've seen the same betta dead in its cup for weeks before they realize that the fish is dead. IMO it is better to save a fish from dieing in their own waste.

I'm talking about the person who says they are going to buy a crap load of the bettas, raise them and sell them off.
missnikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:29 PM   #567 
KMC527

My husband and I wanted to surprise our daughter with a fish and we were both Betta owners when we were younger, so we decided to get one for our daughter too. We saw the babies and thought they'd be perfect for her to watch grow. We got our new family member, Cappy, yesterday and since then have done nothing but research how to care for him/her. We bought a .5 gallon tank, but now plan to upgrade when Cappy gets bigger. We've also gotten a tank heater, and better food. I've also read that baby bettas like cooked egg yolk mashed with water, so I tried that too (treated the water first). Cappy loved that. Does anyone know if it's ok to keep feeding him/her the egg yolk? We've also been giving pellets, and blood worms. Cappy was not a fan of flakes. I (hopefully) included a pic of Cappy. Seems to be very young. The white coloring in Cappy is still nearly transparent. Any info or advice would be great. We are trying to teach our daughter the value of caring for a pet and want to make sure we teach her the righ things and, of course, we want to see Cappy grown and thrive and live a long healthy, happy life with us.
Attached Images

KMC527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #568 
Viva

Cappy is so cute! As long as she/he has heated water and is eating, she should be fine. I crushed up pellets and gave that to my 2 baby bettas, it seemed to work well. They also really loved frozen blood worms, its what I got them to eat first. It has high protein content which is vital for growing babies. Just give 2 or 3 blood worms a day and also feed them crushed pellets daily.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #569 
lillyandquigly

I would upgrade the tank to at least one gallon for now
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #570 
KMC527

One more question...

We got a small heater for the tank, but made the mistake of getting an preadjusted one. We did get a thermometer too though. This morning the temp was almost 88 and even though my betta didn't seem to mind (active, eating, etc) I thought that was too high, so I shut it off to cool the water down a bit. I just checked and it's now around 78-79, but my poor baby seems stressed (clamping fins). I put the heater back on, but if the average temp is 88 is that too warm??? I'm also worried about fluctuating temps too much. I saw one suggestion that said to put heater on an on/off self timer to help maintain a temp. Any advice?
KMC527 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta