Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #571 
missnikki

Yeah, that much of a temp drop in a short period of time is VERY bad for your Betta!

88 should be fine. Just leave it.
missnikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:25 PM   #572 
oneliltiger

Poseidon the Baby Betta

So as a fun update, my fish has doubled in size, and is settling into a lovely red color. I've taken out the bubble tube from my second tank to add more room. Best idea ever, he gets all that room back!

2 Gallons is plenty for a little fish like him. It'll be nice even when he's big.

I got some decor to spice up his home, and to make it look more like a sunken Olympus. :)

Don't give up on your little bettas, they need a lot of care to keep them healthy and chubby!

Last edited by oneliltiger; 02-19-2013 at 10:29 PM.
oneliltiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #573 
Hail0788

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneliltiger View Post
So as a fun update, my fish has doubled in size, and is settling into a lovely red color. I've taken out the bubble tube from my second tank to add more room. Best idea ever, he gets all that room back!

2 Gallons is plenty for a little fish like him. It'll be nice even when he's big.

I got some decor to spice up his home, and to make it look more like a sunken Olympus. :)

Don't give up on your little bettas, they need a lot of care to keep them healthy and chubby!

Aww! He is so cute. I wish my baby was colorful. She is mostly Brown with a lite blue and red hue.
Hail0788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:54 PM   #574 
aemaki09

Just wanted to update pics of my baby girl :)
I got her in the beginning of january if I remember correctly and she looked like this::

A few weeks ago::

Now::

Still wondering about tail type. Definitely not a CT or DbT, but not too sure on weather she'd be considered VT or DeT? Any ideas?
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #575 
lillyandquigly

looks like an hm to me
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #576 
Fishy Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC527 View Post
One more question...

We got a small heater for the tank, but made the mistake of getting an preadjusted one. We did get a thermometer too though. This morning the temp was almost 88 and even though my betta didn't seem to mind (active, eating, etc) I thought that was too high, so I shut it off to cool the water down a bit. I just checked and it's now around 78-79, but my poor baby seems stressed (clamping fins). I put the heater back on, but if the average temp is 88 is that too warm??? I'm also worried about fluctuating temps too much. I saw one suggestion that said to put heater on an on/off self timer to help maintain a temp. Any advice?
If you have one of those small square preset heaters they sell next to the bettas in the store in a .5 gallon it will raise the temp quite a bit high. I have one of those for my gallon bowl. It keeps a gallon at 80 which is perfect for babies or sick fish. I would upgrade to a cheap 1 gallon bowl or critter keeper as a temporary home with that heater until your baby fish gets a little older. Raising a baby is very rewarding. My baby girl is now in a sorority tank & the most well behaved girl I have at the moment!
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #577 
nattiejeanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by missnikki View Post
I'm talking about the person who says they are going to buy a crap load of the bettas, raise them and sell them off.

At least they will make it to adulthood this way. Otherwise they are likely going to just die in those little cups. Petco isn't going to stop selling them, so I'd rather see people buy them who are going to take care of them, even if it's for profit to sell them later.
nattiejeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #578 
Hail0788

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattiejeanne View Post
At least they will make it to adulthood this way. Otherwise they are likely going to just die in those little cups. Petco isn't going to stop selling them, so I'd rather see people buy them who are going to take care of them, even if it's for profit to sell them later.
I agree. I got my baby Mercedes from there. She was very pale and missing one of her fins on her tummy. I've had her for almost two weeks now and she is doing great. I'm never giving her up.
Hail0788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #579 
bettalover2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
Just wanted to update pics of my baby girl :)
I got her in the beginning of january if I remember correctly and she looked like this::

Still wondering about tail type. Definitely not a CT or DbT, but not too sure on weather she'd be considered VT or DeT? Any ideas?
Lol. Is that Omega 3 in the pic? I use it too, I like that it has meat as the 1st ingredient, not wheat.
I am not sure on the tail type, s/he is pretty!!!

I was thinking about getting 2 & seeing how they develop & play & such, what does everyone think? As said earlier, I would feed them crushed flakes & pellets, along with frozen Daphnia & maybe frozen BW.
Would a 3 gallon (tall) with a slow air pump be good for 2? I have lots of plants & 2 caves that I could use, with still plenty of swimming space, & 3 other tanks that I could use when they get older.

PLEASE REPLY OR PM. ALL ADVICE IS APPRECIATED!!!!! :)
bettalover2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #580 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2000 View Post
Lol. Is that Omega 3 in the pic? I use it too, I like that it has meat as the 1st ingredient, not wheat.
I am not sure on the tail type, s/he is pretty!!!

I was thinking about getting 2 & seeing how they develop & play & such, what does everyone think? As said earlier, I would feed them crushed flakes & pellets, along with frozen Daphnia & maybe frozen BW.
Would a 3 gallon (tall) with a slow air pump be good for 2? I have lots of plants & 2 caves that I could use, with still plenty of swimming space, & 3 other tanks that I could use when they get older.

PLEASE REPLY OR PM. ALL ADVICE IS APPRECIATED!!!!! :)
Yeah it's omega one, I don't use it too often anymore, just when I wan to switch things up. Seems to sink too easily and is too big for half my boys/girls to eat.
I think a 3 gallon would be fine, but make sure you keep a close eye on them both. I have been wanting to do this for a while, getting 2-3 to put in one of my 2.5's till they grow out, interested to see how they interact as well.
Personally I would try to get a 3 long rather than tall. Babies should have shallow water
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta