Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #581 
bettalover2000

Location: Narnia, England, and Middle Earth, All at the same time!! I travel very quickly in a Blue Police Box
I do have a 3 long, but I house my male in it & I like how this one has a built-in airline tube, rather than just an air stone, i wouldn't fill it all the way till they're older & can swim to the to more easily.
bettalover2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:29 AM   #582 
Kytkattin

I have had my baby for about a week now and his/her stress stripes just won't go away. Water params are fine, temp is a nice toasty 86 (because less and the stripes get worse!), and s/he eats like a little monster. Plus I have seen some overall growth in body size already!
Please keep in mind that s/he is in the cup for photo purposes only, and the stress stripes were definitely worse there than in the tank. The red seen by the gills is his/her natural coloring, not ammonia burns.

Edit: more info! S/he is in a heavily planted tank so cover and feeling comfortable is not an issue. S/he readily explores, comes to the front and does the wiggle dance for food, and otherwise seems very healthy despite the stripes!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:32 AM   #583 
Crowntails

She's so beautiful! I am trying to save up for the 3 gallon long tank and make it home to a baby betta!
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #584 
carbonxxkidd

Kyt, my baby had her stripes for a couple months. In baby bettas, most of it is for camouflage, not necessarily stress. As she gets older, they should go away. Mine just losts hers a couple weeks ago - I hardly recognized her!!!
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #585 
Fishy Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
Yeah it's omega one, I don't use it too often anymore, just when I wan to switch things up. Seems to sink too easily and is too big for half my boys/girls to eat.
I think a 3 gallon would be fine, but make sure you keep a close eye on them both. I have been wanting to do this for a while, getting 2-3 to put in one of my 2.5's till they grow out, interested to see how they interact as well.
Personally I would try to get a 3 long rather than tall. Babies should have shallow water
Well, I got some babies for a sorority & they are just as territorial as adults & have the energy to chase each other for days. I am on constant fish sitting duty & I now figured out that the runt, who I was really worried about, is the one nipping everyone elses fins, but 2 girls are fine & 2 of the slow swimmers have chunks out of their tails. They are in QT healing. I plan on keeping them there longer than just a hospital stay to fatten them up a bit. Since they aren't great swimmers they need to be bigger to stand up to the other girls. It still makes me laugh to say a fish isn't a good swimmer, lol.

My two girls who haven't had their fins nipped are quite a bit bigger than the runt & just chase her away. Those two are well behaved after their initial fight of tail slapping each other on the first day.

Oh another problem I'm having is that 3 of the girls aren't trained to come to the surface when I feed them yet. Two of those girls are the ones in QT now, so I'm working on them responding to me as well.

So, if I were to do this over I would keep the babies in the intitial QT much longer to get them trained to know me & respond to me better. I would also be aware that even though fights aren't ending in a blood bath with the babies they still can be very agressive & to expect to put one or two in time out if need be.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:46 AM   #586 
Fishy Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
I have had my baby for about a week now and his/her stress stripes just won't go away. Water params are fine, temp is a nice toasty 86 (because less and the stripes get worse!), and s/he eats like a little monster. Plus I have seen some overall growth in body size already!
Please keep in mind that s/he is in the cup for photo purposes only, and the stress stripes were definitely worse there than in the tank. The red seen by the gills is his/her natural coloring, not ammonia burns.

Edit: more info! S/he is in a heavily planted tank so cover and feeling comfortable is not an issue. S/he readily explores, comes to the front and does the wiggle dance for food, and otherwise seems very healthy despite the stripes!
My baby girl had stress stripes for weeks & they didn't start to fade until she really started to color up. Her gills were really red too, but they look fine now. She was my first baby so I wasn't sure what to think about it, but now I'm realizing that stress stripes & red gills aren't uncommon in the little ones.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #587 
Luxavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
Yeah it's omega one, I don't use it too often anymore, just when I wan to switch things up. Seems to sink too easily and is too big for half my boys/girls to eat.
For my baby, I established with it that the leaves of the tallest plant in its tank is where I feed it, so if it drops or misses the food, it just falls onto a leaf for the baby to easily find.
Since most pellets are too big for babies, I presoak one pellet and cut it in pieces and feed enough of the cut up pieces to see a little belly.

For my bigger boy, I've unintentionally taught him that tapping on the glass means there's food falling, so if he knocks food into the water from my finger and doesn't see where it went I can just tap the glass and he'll stop looking at my fingers and look below him.
It took about a week or two for him to catch on to the tapping.
If he still doesn't see the food falling before it hits the bottom, I leave it because he enjoys scavenging, and it doesn't take him more than an hour to find any of the pellets he missed.

Last edited by Luxavior; 02-22-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Luxavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #588 
Kytkattin

Well that confirms that she is most likely a she then!
I did go and look at some breeder spawn logs and that pretty much confirmed that stress stripes in babies are not from stress. Thanks everyone!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #589 
bettalover2000

Location: Narnia, England, and Middle Earth, All at the same time!! I travel very quickly in a Blue Police Box
If I did get 2, should I quarantine them before putting them together?
If I need to, I might have 1 be in the tank, & 1 in a cup floating in the tank, & alternate them each day & night. What do you think? I am really exited, I hope this would work. Would plastic plants be okay? I might buy a marimo ball if someone has them for sale at a low price & good quality....;)
(the marimos at Petco are $9 apiece. )
bettalover2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #590 
rabidbetta

Hello, this is my first post! I bought Betta Jane (if she turns out to be a boy, she'll be James) a week ago, basically one of those "all the other babies were dead, so I felt I had to save her" situations. I imagine Petco selling baby bettas is probably controversial, but... well, I got her anyway. And then it was so much fun and I've enjoyed watching her grow and showing so much personality, I got 2 more.

I do have a 30 gallon tank and dividers for them en route, so the cups are temporary. I've been feeding 4x a day, checking temperatures, changing 25% of the water every other day. So far Betta Jane seems to be thriving! I got the other 2 today. Any ideas on what gender/finnage variations they appear to be? It's fun to speculate and I'm a complete noob.

Jane

Violet

Elvis

***More pics here!***

Last edited by rabidbetta; 02-22-2013 at 08:16 PM.
rabidbetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta