Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2012, 02:47 AM   #51 
jvivet

Hi everyone. This is my first post after scouring this site for the last 72 hours.

For a late birthday present i was recently given a blue "baby" betta from petco. It was given in a tinytinytiny 40 oz lee's triangle keeper kit which even at that time realized was way too small. I really don't know anything other than what i've read up about. Sex (although i was assuming it was a male) type, or age. (picture)

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=ra0y34&s=5

Because of my lack of knowledge and finances on short time i i opted to go with a much smaller tank, only 1.5 gallon that came with a filter (Tetra Water Wonders 1.5 Gallons Aquarium Cube) (in upper left corner of tank)

http://i44.tinypic.com/kqm8n.jpg

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what "normal"betta behavior is so i can compare it to my betta and see if everything is ok? I'm unsure of sex or type, as this is my first ever betta. Really interested into getting into betta's as they are extremely beautiful fish. If anyone could tell me how young of a fish it is and what extra procedures i need to take in order for it's survival i would be totally indebted to you! Oh also i've been feeding it Baby micro pellets from Hikari fish food that came with the tiangle kit and wondering if i need any supplements for it and how often/how much i should feed it daily. Thanks to all of you!

Last edited by jvivet; 01-02-2012 at 02:59 AM.
jvivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:15 AM   #52 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvivet View Post
Hi everyone. This is my first post after scouring this site for the last 72 hours.

For a late birthday present i was recently given a blue "baby" betta from petco. It was given in a tinytinytiny 40 oz lee's triangle keeper kit which even at that time realized was way too small. I really don't know anything other than what i've read up about. Sex (although i was assuming it was a male) type, or age. (picture)

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=ra0y34&s=5

Because of my lack of knowledge and finances on short time i i opted to go with a much smaller tank, only 1.5 gallon that came with a filter (Tetra Water Wonders 1.5 Gallons Aquarium Cube) (in upper left corner of tank)

http://i44.tinypic.com/kqm8n.jpg

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what "normal"betta behavior is so i can compare it to my betta and see if everything is ok? I'm unsure of sex or type, as this is my first ever betta. Really interested into getting into betta's as they are extremely beautiful fish. If anyone could tell me how young of a fish it is and what extra procedures i need to take in order for it's survival i would be totally indebted to you! Oh also i've been feeding it Baby micro pellets from Hikari fish food that came with the tiangle kit and wondering if i need any supplements for it and how often/how much i should feed it daily. Thanks to all of you!
I would like to start out by saying Hello and Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you will like it here.

Well. Lets get down to business! The betta that you have is a VT (Veil Tail) female and a very pretty one at that! Please be sure to do your research. Just a heads up there. 1.5 gallons is understandable for now, though you should consider getting her at least a 2.5 gallon (when you are able to).

I like the fact that you are doing many of the correct procedures you need to as many people ignore. (Not on this site particularly).

To tell the sex of a betta you have to look at the "belly" of the betta. ONLY females have what is called an "egg spot." It appears as a white dot that is always there. Females don't usually have very long fins though they can have long fins. In pet stores, you will usually find female with short fins and males with long fins though some males can have short fins and seem to others as females. Usually the males are the "flashy" ones that have a lot of color. (Usually) females are dull in color and not as flashy as the males. Please remember that this isn't always the case and I am speaking from what you would normally see in (LPS) local pet stores.

This is a female betta and her "egg spot"

This is a male betta with long fins (also a VT)

Betta fish behavior consists of not much, but swimming like normal fish and the occasional flaring. (Mostly found in males) Betta fish are aggressive fish and I hope you know, shouldn't be put with its own kind because they are very territorial and need to be separated. Bettas usually only flare when they see themselves in a mirror or another betta and most of the time if not a betta a very bright colored other fish. It is really neat to see them flare and display their fins.

Flaring is when a betta extends their fins to their maximum length and they open their "beard" from their Operculum or gill covers.

This is a male and female's "beard" from the "gill covers"/operculum:
http://0.tqn.com/d/freshaquarium/1/0...ettaFlare1.jpg

Male:

Female:
http://www.petfish.net/pix/showdown2.jpg
When flaring females will usually curve their bodies
Female without the beard:

If you don't know already, This is what a flaring MALE betta looks like:

With bettas there is NO way at all to tell their age UNLESS you are able to get their breeding/spawning/raising records (if any were recorded).

I think what you are feeding her is very good. IF YOU WANT to, you can get "freeze dried bloodworms" as a small "snack" food that you can ask your LPS if they have any. Bettas go crazy for those. With pellets you should only feed bettas 1 time a day with only 2-3 pellets a day. You can easily divide that into two feedings a day as 2 pellets in the morning and 1 pellet at night. And on the occasional days you could give her about one or two freeze dried bloodworms if you buy them.

You really have much to learn! I'm sure if you visit a few stickies you will find SO much there. If you want to read all of this I'm sure you will have no problem reading info there as well.

I also thought this picture was very helpfu:

I hoped this helped a bunch! Any other questions I will be GLAD to answer for you! You could either PM or ask on another thread of your own.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:15 AM   #53 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Don't forget the water changes - even with a filter, you should still change out water weekly. If you want to go bigger in the future but are still short on cash, clear storage bins work nicely and they are cheap downside is the plastic is still kinda frosty so views of the betta aren't as nice as with an actual tank.

Quote:
Oh also i've been feeding it Baby micro pellets from Hikari fish food that came with the tiangle kit and wondering if i need any supplements for it and how often/how much i should feed it daily. Thanks to all of you!
They like bloodworms but only as an occasional treat. Frozen is better then freeze dried.

I seen 3 at petco today and I wanted them but I dont think a 5,000 road trip in winter would be good for them. I'll just have to breed my own when I get to NY

Last edited by Tikibirds; 01-02-2012 at 07:20 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #54 
hmckin20

awww
they're all so tiny!
they look like they were fished right out after hatching..
that's an exaggeration.

i know i bought two baby girls from walmart a few months back, josie and marie. they were big enough to tell the gender but were still really tiny.
they're not tiny now. ;P
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #55 
gossipgirl1031

This is Sydney

http://youtu.be/zuoW9fd11K4
gossipgirl1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #56 
Misakitty

I took the leap!

This is Sasha. It looks like a veil, but it's hard to tell yet. I can already see a bit of purple hue, so I'm hoping it's a male. They didn't have nearly the selection this time when I went back, which makes me a little sad, I was hoping to nab a crowntail. He seems to be in pretty good shape, very alert, and swimming around.
Misakitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:53 PM   #57 
pinkcupid765

This is my new baby. She/He doesn't have a name yet but she's just the cutest thing. Her temporary home is the .5 gal Marina zen thing. :) She's healthy, active, and a little piglet. Hehe!

Last edited by pinkcupid765; 01-02-2012 at 04:03 PM.
pinkcupid765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #58 
gossipgirl1031

Cute babies!!
gossipgirl1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:32 PM   #59 
TeaZag

I bought one of the baby bettas from petco and I dont think the guy at the store gave me the right info about taking care of the baby betta. All he said to do is to keep it in the container and crush the betta food pellet and feed it. I need all the info about the baby betta so I can raise a healthy betta fish. I need info about what kind of heater to get what size tank and what food to feed it. Here is a link to the picture of it does my fish look heathy? http://www.facebook.com/pages/Betta-...type=1&theater
TeaZag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:53 PM   #60 
youlovegnats

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaZag View Post
I bought one of the baby bettas from petco and I dont think the guy at the store gave me the right info about taking care of the baby betta. All he said to do is to keep it in the container and crush the betta food pellet and feed it. I need all the info about the baby betta so I can raise a healthy betta fish. I need info about what kind of heater to get what size tank and what food to feed it. Here is a link to the picture of it does my fish look heathy? http://www.facebook.com/pages/Betta-...type=1&theater
S/he looks stressed (probably due to no heat), but other than that s/he looks good! ^^
You'll need to change that water almost daily though- adding the dechlor and whatnot.
Is the container the cup it came in?
Is s/he eating the crushed pellets?

For a proper size tank, you'll need a 2-3 gallon tank with a heater. The pre-sets are cheaper, but more unreliable- so I'd get one that you can adjust the heat to. Also get some silk plants and hiding spots. :)

Last edited by youlovegnats; 01-03-2012 at 11:55 PM.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta