Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #731 
Fishy Mom

Aemaki, she is sooooooo adorable.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #732 
dorid222

Ok so I was in petco a few days ago buying dog bones. I strayed over into the fish section just to check it out and betta's have always interested me so I like to check them out. Then I saw these baby betta's. most of them were dead or looked like they were dying, so sad btw. But then I came across this one and he/ she seemed liked pissed off slash sad like get me outta baby betta jail PLEASE! I had to go to school so I promised him/her I would save them from baby betta jail the next day. So I went back the next day and got him, the girl there said all I need is some food and water conditioner or just use spring water. So I thought great, I can totally do that! Oh and I asked if he needed to be acclimated and they said NO, jerks. Anyway so I got him home and I have this like 1.5ish gallon jar that I kept these decorative ball things in, rinsed it out, hooked him up with some spring water and have a nice day, I thought we were cool. THEN, I started reading about them and all the things they actually need and started freaking out because I am super attached to this little guy, who I am calling baby betta bb for short, and began to be terrified he would die. So I did a bunch of research and I have a 5 gallon tank with a filter and a heater on the way I paid extra for 2 day shipping, I bought the API water conditioner, water testing stuff, tank cleaning supplies, one of those betta leaf hammock swings, a plant for the tank, and a spot where he can hide. In the meantime I rigged this heater I have it underneath the stem of the bowl between two pot holders so he doesn't become fish soup and its actually heating the water it gone up a few degrees so I think it's good, I put the thermometer in the bowl and he is like super interested in it. Staring it down and swimming all around it and stuff . He seems to have lots of energy and is swimming all around he eats no problem so I have high hopes that he'll make it! I checked the ammonia level and its good for now. He got new water yesterday so should I change it again tomorrow? How do I know how much water conditioner to put in? The instructions are for per gallon. Please give me some feed back I'm so concerned about my new tiny friend. When I found out he needed all this stuff I didn't hesitate to spend almost 150 bucks for my 2 dollar fish lol. But I just want him to make it and be ok!! How do I know if he's happy? He swims all around from the top to the bottom and he's on my kitchen table and ever time we come in he's checkin us out and follows my finger... Lots of personality!! Oh and when his new tank comes how long should I wait before I switch him into it? Please help!! I'm totally brandy new at all this, all I wanted to do was save the poor little fish, and I'm glad I did, but now I'm like having to become a fish aquarium expert overnight Ahhhh
dorid222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #733 
blu the betta

why do people say baby bettas are hard to care for? they are too easy.
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:48 PM   #734 
ao
TFK Moderator

Learning how to swim or stay afloat from scratch is pretty easy...
when you are plunged head first into the ocean, and not know how to swim, I dont think you will think swimming is easy...

similar concept,

Whilst bettas are an easy fish to keep for the seasoned aquarist. many betta fish keepers are not aquarists and were suckered into this via false advertising....

I think it's better to be helpful to those who want to care for their fish and are feeling overwhelmed...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:56 PM   #735 
dorid222

Well I suppose I came to the wrong place for help and support!?? Geesh
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #736 
Tabbie82

@dorid222- Don't be discouraged! It sounds like you are doing a good job. It can be overwhelming at first, bringing the little guy (or gal) home, then realizing you were misinformed and trying to learn everything as soon as possible. Most people on here are happy to help you. To answer your specific questions:
"He got new water yesterday so should I change it again tomorrow?"
This thread should help you understand when to do water changes:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758

"How do I know how much water conditioner to put in?"
This depends on your tank size and the conditioner- I usually put 7 drops per gallon of mine in, so if it is the same for you, you would use 10 to 11 drops for your current tank. It doesn't have to be exact.

"Oh and when his new tank comes how long should I wait before I switch him into it?"
You can set it up, condition the water and if you want to, put him in that day. He will need to be acclimated. You'll have to float him in the water in a cup or bag and put a little of the new water in with him every once in awhile for an hour or so. This will get him used to the new water parameters and temp. With a newly set up tank, you will have to do more water changes at first because of ammonia buildup. Once the tank is established, you will only have to do water changes once a week on a five gallon.

FYI- There is a metal piece in the betta hammock. You should probably remove that by cutting the end and pulling it out with pliers before putting it in the tank. All my boys have the hammock and LOVE it! Oh, and congratulations on your new baby! Once you have him/her all settled in, you will love having your betta around. I hope this helps. Sorry that you had a less than warm welcome here. PM me if you have more questions and I will try to help.
Tabbie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #737 
Dene

Hey Dorid! I'm fairly new to the baby Betta world also, but it sounds to me like you're doing things right!

I don't know enough to answer your questions thoroughly, but I can say that once you have the 5 gallon set up you should put your jar (with him in it) in the new tank for about an hour so that the water temps can become the same. Also try pouring out a bit of his old water (down the drain, not into the new tank) and put some of the new water into the old jar every 20-ish minutes. That will get him used to it without shocking him.

Hopefully someone else can better answer your questions!

EDIT: Someone did answer them better than me. xD

I have a new baby!

Last edited by Dene; 03-13-2013 at 10:21 PM. Reason: someone posted at same time
Dene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:08 AM   #738 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorid222 View Post
Well I suppose I came to the wrong place for help and support!?? Geesh
Thats a lovely baby you have there. see how it's tail is a little like <>= instead of <>< ? It's clamping its rail because it's feeling a little uncomfortable. that could mean that it's a bit cold. young betters prefer warmer temperatures, around 82-86F ^_^ somtimes even 90F. It helps them grow.

I recommend 25w adjustable heater.

feed the baby whenever it's stomach look somewhat smaller. not too much, you may have to crush up pellets for it. It a little more work than an adult betta, but watching a fry grow up can be very rewarding.

You're doing great already, don't let negative comments bother you too much ^__^
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:24 AM   #739 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorid222 View Post
Ok so I was in petco a few days ago buying dog bones. I strayed over into the fish section just to check it out and betta's have always interested me so I like to check them out. Then I saw these baby betta's. most of them were dead or looked like they were dying, so sad btw. But then I came across this one and he/ she seemed liked pissed off slash sad like get me outta baby betta jail PLEASE! I had to go to school so I promised him/her I would save them from baby betta jail the next day. So I went back the next day and got him, the girl there said all I need is some food and water conditioner or just use spring water. So I thought great, I can totally do that! Oh and I asked if he needed to be acclimated and they said NO, jerks. Anyway so I got him home and I have this like 1.5ish gallon jar that I kept these decorative ball things in, rinsed it out, hooked him up with some spring water and have a nice day, I thought we were cool. THEN, I started reading about them and all the things they actually need and started freaking out because I am super attached to this little guy, who I am calling baby betta bb for short, and began to be terrified he would die. So I did a bunch of research and I have a 5 gallon tank with a filter and a heater on the way I paid extra for 2 day shipping, I bought the API water conditioner, water testing stuff, tank cleaning supplies, one of those betta leaf hammock swings, a plant for the tank, and a spot where he can hide. In the meantime I rigged this heater I have it underneath the stem of the bowl between two pot holders so he doesn't become fish soup and its actually heating the water it gone up a few degrees so I think it's good, I put the thermometer in the bowl and he is like super interested in it. Staring it down and swimming all around it and stuff . He seems to have lots of energy and is swimming all around he eats no problem so I have high hopes that he'll make it! I checked the ammonia level and its good for now. He got new water yesterday so should I change it again tomorrow? How do I know how much water conditioner to put in? The instructions are for per gallon. Please give me some feed back I'm so concerned about my new tiny friend. When I found out he needed all this stuff I didn't hesitate to spend almost 150 bucks for my 2 dollar fish lol. But I just want him to make it and be ok!! How do I know if he's happy? He swims all around from the top to the bottom and he's on my kitchen table and ever time we come in he's checkin us out and follows my finger... Lots of personality!! Oh and when his new tank comes how long should I wait before I switch him into it? Please help!! I'm totally brandy new at all this, all I wanted to do was save the poor little fish, and I'm glad I did, but now I'm like having to become a fish aquarium expert overnight Ahhhh
Please do not be discouraged by ignorant comments. I myself find baby bettas from petco almost harder to care for than my own spawn!
I am REALLY proud of you for doing your research!!! You sound like you are taking this very seriously!
What kind of food did you get? I suggest the hikar micro pellets or new life spectrum small fish formula just because they are easier for your baby to eat.
As for the conditioner... What kind did you get? It says "put so and so amount in per gallon, put in 1.5 times that, doesn't have to be exact, but try to put more rather than less in, safer that way :)

Seriously, you are doing an amazing job! Don't worry too much! :) you'll be fine!
Also, if you already have the conditioner, I'd switch from spring to tap water...keeps bettas immune systems up, spring/ro/distilled water can cause them to lower since they really have no need to worry about fighting stuff off with it being practically sterilized.

Your baby is gorgeous by the way, a cute little Veil tail from the looks of the picture :)
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:28 AM   #740 
dorid222

Thanks aokashi,, :) so I was just having this discussion with someone else but I would love you're feedback too! So his water temp right now is only 73 degrees, poor thing. My heater rigg isn't working out as hoped. The darn thing is so stupid hot it burnt the pot holders!! Anyway my heater should hopefully be coming in the mail Friday. Do you think I should just buy him a good one in the morning so he's happy and comfortable or you think he'll be alright till Friday??

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta