Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #71 
bettalover2033

Trust me she is very healthy right now. She's in a nice sized tank and with the comfort of a few decors, heater, small filter that should do the job.

Just make sure you are careful when siphoning and cleaning the tank ect.

Good Luck!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #72 
Aguamenti

Hi!

I am new to this forum and bettas! I have wanted to purchase a betta for some time now, and last Saturday at Petco I noticed they had baby bettas. My first reaction was "awww they are so cute!". I was intrigued by the idea of not knowing the sex of the betta or its color and getting to watch it mature into adulthood. The Petco I went to had two baby betas: one was very tiny with no coloring and the other was larger with some coloring on its fins. I decided to go with the smaller one so that I could watch it mature longer, not realizing how fragile it was. I asked a Petco sales associate how the care differed between a baby betta and an adult betta, to make sure I could handle caring for it properly. According to them, the only difference is that babies need smaller food. I purchased my little betta, went to my car, and was getting ready to leave. I decided to check on the fish one more time before I left (good thing!) and realized that the poor baby had died! I took it in to exchange it for the bigger betta baby, hoping I would have better luck with an older one. To my dismay, upon closer inspection, I noticed that one of its eyes was cloudy and its water was dirty. I decided to take this one home as a rescue, in hopes of giving it a better life. Now, I need some advice as to how to properly care for the little girl (at least I'm calling her a girl for now), as she is sick, young, and in a new environment. I am also frustrated with Petco for selling such fragile bettas without informing customers about how delicate they are and how to properly care for them.

I will try my best to explain her current tank, husbandry, and physical appearance. Keep in mind I have only had her for 5 days and I am still learning! Also, all the advice I had for her care was given by people at Petco, before I had discovered this forum.
Tank: She is in an approximately 1 gallon glass half orb bowl (one side is flat, the other rounded) with tap water and Aqueon betta bowl plus water conditioner/dechlorinator. There is no filter or heater, but she is in a temperature controlled room. The water is a stable 71 deg F (which I think might be too cold for a sick baby, but I didn't want to cause any more stress by drastically raising the water temperature) and the tank is sitting in a dark corner to help her feel more comfortable. I put her in her new home on Monday after I felt she had acclimated to the stress of traveling in a car twice (I bought her at a Petco near my parent's house, approximately 50 minutes away from where I live).
Treatment: API Bettafix, which she has been treated with 3 times, including today's treatment that I will administer. It says to repeat the dose daily for up to 7 days, and then make a water change. I plan on doing a 50% water change this evening with spring water before I treat because her water is slightly cloudy from the food she won't eat that falls to the bottom. I was advised to use this treatment for her cloudy eye.
Food: I have been attempting to feed her twice a day, with either Tetra BettaMin Tropical Medley flakes or ZooMed Micro Floating Betta Pellets crushed up.
Appearance/behavior: She is approximately 1 1/2-2 inches in length with a white body and reddish fins. One of her eyes is cloudy and possibly slightly protruding (popeye?). When looking at her profile from above, her back has a slight curve to it. She is always at the bottom of the tank, but when she is prompted to move, her movements are darty and appear to be difficult. She will come up to the surface to get air, and I try to tease her with the food. She seems interested, but will usually not eat any of the food (maybe a small crumb). After a while of swimming up by the surface not eating, she will then nose dive down to the bottom of the bowl, using objects on her way down for support (she has a rock sculpture decoration). Her breathing looks like it might be difficult, but since I am new to bettas, I don't know how normal breathing looks. Also, her fins appear clamped.

What is so difficult about her care is that there are so many factors that could be causing her appearance/behavior. I don't know how long her eye has been cloudy and I don't know if her current coloring is her normal coloring or due to sickness. I don't know how long she hasn't been eating. I really want to give her the best possible care so she survives and has a loving home. I welcome any suggestions about what I should be doing differently to get her healthy again! I will try to get some pictures of her, but I have been trying to leave her alone as much as possible as to not stress her more.

Thanks!
Aguamenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #73 
gossipgirl1031

Welcome to the forum Aguamenti! You've officially been bitten by the betta bug!

I've raised 4 of the babies into juveniles (they're not full grown yet, but you can sex them and they are stronger & bigger of course). I've got 5 that I still consider to be "babies". The babies are all an inch (give or take a little) or under (including tail). Their colors are now starting to show and some I'm even beginning to determine the sex better.

The best thing I've found for them is to keep them warm. My little ones are all set up in my hospital/nursery (aka my bathroom-warmest room in the apartment). They also have heaters under their tanks and I keep them happy & swimming around at a comfortable 79-80 degrees. I have all my tanks covered with lids that have air vents in them since bettas can jump out of the bowl. I had a surprise on that one! I also fed mine in the beginning every 6 hours with New Life Spectrum baby pellets. I've mainly found those at Petsmart. Mine all have had great appetites. But some bettas take some time to settle in to their new homes.

I'm not a disease expert, by far. But I know a little. As far as meds go, Bettafix can cause some problems with the labyrinth organ (how they breathe can breathe atmospheric air). So, just use it with caution. I haven't had to medicate mine yet & I've been cautious to do so since they are so fragile. I've just been doing water changes every 3 days with just a good dechlorinator. I like Jungle's Start Right, but there are several good ones.

So, again, not an expert. Just sharing my experiences. Heat, tank lid, baby food, water changes & lots of TLC :) I hope this helps! I have pics of my babies on my page. I'm trying to document them as they grow and change.

And once again-welcome :)
gossipgirl1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:11 AM   #74 
Misakitty

I'm definitely enjoying my little baby so far, and he/she is looking nice and healthy. I just crushed up my regular betta food and he gobbles it up. I have to be careful because he's a little piggy and will eat more than is good. If I lean close to the tank he comes waddling up to the side to stare at me.
Misakitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #75 
youlovegnats

I'm surprised at how well some you your all's babies are doing. Considering they need special care and a constant 80*F, they're all doing quite well from what you all are saying.
Keep it up guys! :)
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #76 
gossipgirl1031

Thanks! It was harder with my first one, but with each one I knew more of what to expect. Kind of like kids, I guess. That being said, I can only go off my nephews and my god daughter. Of course they are all different, but I knew how to care for them better. There have been a lot of really great, nice people on this site that have helped them get as far as they did :)
Old 01-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #77 
Aguamenti

Thanks gossipgirl1031 for the warm welcome and the advice! I also looked at the pictures of your baby bettas, they are just so cute!
Aguamenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #78 
TeaZag

My baby betta seems like it is doing pretty good I have it in a 3 gallon tank with a heater and no filter so I need some info about cleaning the tank. The heater only heats up to 75 degress so I hope that's warm enough. He/she loves swimming around, I make sure it eats his peice of crushed betta food pellet 4/5 times a day, is that too much or not enough? When I put him in the tank I saw what color he is he's a pretty blue and red. I will try to get a good picture of the baby betta but he swims around alot so it's hard to get a clear picture :)
TeaZag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #79 
youlovegnats

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaZag View Post
My baby betta seems like it is doing pretty good I have it in a 3 gallon tank with a heater and no filter so I need some info about cleaning the tank. The heater only heats up to 75 degress so I hope that's warm enough. He/she loves swimming around, I make sure it eats his peice of crushed betta food pellet 4/5 times a day, is that too much or not enough? When I put him in the tank I saw what color he is he's a pretty blue and red. I will try to get a good picture of the baby betta but he swims around alot so it's hard to get a clear picture :)
In a 3 gallon, I'd do two 50% changes once a week, and add a 100% change once a week- replacing a 50% change.
As for the temp. It needs to be more around 78-80 as much as possible, however 75 is 'ok'- but not for a long-term.
I think you're overfeeding a bit. I'd only feed him twice a day, 3-4 crushed pellets. Over-feeding can cause many different problems, including Swim Bladder Disease, which you want to stay away from- because it can be a major problem if fry get it.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:18 PM   #80 
gossipgirl1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguamenti View Post
Thanks gossipgirl1031 for the warm welcome and the advice! I also looked at the pictures of your baby bettas, they are just so cute!
Thanks! They're growing up & really showing their colors and fins more now. I'll have to update & take some new ones. Good luck with your little one :)

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta