Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #801 
JBonez423

Excuse to show off my babies? I'll latch onto that! ;P

Name:  Marley1.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  18.6 KB

Floyd is growing RAPIDLY now. His fins are getting longer by the day.

Name:  Floyd1.png
Size:  264.3 KB
Name:  Floyd2.png
Size:  249.3 KB
Name:  Floyd3.png
Views: 328
Size:  246.8 KB

I'm pretty sure Marley is turning out to be female! Does that look like an egg spot to anyone else?

Name:  Marley4.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  13.9 KB
Name:  Marley2.png
Size:  219.3 KB
Name:  Marley3.png
Size:  166.7 KB

I'm 99.9% sure Jagger is female. Lookit that fat body and egg spot! =3

Name:  Jagger1.jpg
Size:  37.9 KB
Name:  Jagger2.jpg
Size:  37.5 KB
Name:  Jagger3.jpg
Size:  7.9 KB

And the newest addition.. went to PetCo for supplies and couldn't leave him. Literally the smallest baby I've ever seen there, possibly the length of a dime. I actually thought he was a guppy. Sometimes his scales glint an almost blue, but otherwise he's colorless. I named him Elvis.

Name:  New1.png
Views: 330
Size:  215.1 KB
Name:  New2.jpg
Size:  15.7 KB
Name:  New3.png
Size:  188.2 KB
JBonez423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #802 
Tabbie82

OMG! Look at Floyd! He's so big! And pretty! I can't tell about the egg spot on Marley. S/he has longish ventrals, so I was leaning towards male, but I'm no expert, that's for sure! Love the new boy. They are all so pretty!
Tabbie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:18 AM   #803 
Fishy Mom

Soooo cute! Floyd is getting big & that marble girl is gorgeous. Jagger's red fins are stunning. I can't wait to see if she ends up being a solid red color. If the new baby ends up being a girl you'll have a great start to a sorority.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #804 
JBonez423

Thanks, guys!!! ^.^ Floyd is currently my pride and joy lol they cracked me up this morning, because apparently the divider was loose (oops!!) and sometime in the night, they switched sides! I stared for a full five minutes in sleepy confusion...

No kidding on the sorority! I'm almost leaning toward male with the newest guy, because I read something that said often males won't have camouflage stripes when they're babies, but I know bettas never stick to a solid rule. =P Marley is a good example of that! I though boy at first... then girl... then guy... now girl again, but I still don't know! Either way, I'll be happy, though! What's the rule on cellophane marbles? From the way the red is already washing out of her fins, I'm wondering if she'll end up white.. or just with a butterfly pattern. So exciting!

Jagger's coloring is amazing. I kind of hope she ends up full red, but on the same note, a pink body with deep red fins would be REALLY pretty...
Old 03-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #805 
ao
TFK Moderator

dark bodied males and females both have stripes. light bodied ones dont ^_^

ask the breeders :3
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #806 
JBonez423

Really? Huh! That's awesome lol. I'm so curious to know what color he'll end up. I'm envisioning a very pale, icy blue betta.... hey, a girl can dream. ;]
Old 03-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #807 
ao
TFK Moderator

hahah
watching them grow up is exciting isn't it? I was sooo excited wathing Kuro's fins grow longer and his clear beard grow black spots. thwn when I thought he was done his pectorals colored up! haha
Old 03-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #808 
JBonez423

It really is! It's very addictive, too! I'm almost glad Petco is selling babies now. I know they might not fall into the right hands, but to be honest, neither will regular sized bettas. I was talking to someone who worked there and she told me the only ones who really buy the babies are the experienced betta owners, because most novices are nervous about killing a baby, and turned off by their lack of coloring/finnage. But what I like most about it is that these guys will hopefully spend less time in a cup than the adults.

There should be a limit, though, on age and on the amount of babies they get at a time. Elvis is so teeny, I almost think he got in there by accident... either that or he was a super runt lol!
Old 03-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #809 
ao
TFK Moderator

My local petco gets....200 bettas every week. half of them dont have a space in the little cubicles so they're scattered around. some in inconspicuous places where no one ever looks.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #810 
JBonez423

That's crazy!!! Our PetCo literally gets about 15 babies and females, and maybe 30 males a week! I'm not sure how many out PetSmart gets in a week, but there weren't all that many when I went in yesterday. However, they were also on sale, so that could have something to do with it.

Stores definitely need a limit on how many fish they can stock at a time, especially in the conditions bettas are kept in. I'm so thankful my PetCo seems to do daily water changes and actually make an effort to take care of the bettas... I can only imagine how you must feel walking into a store with 200 bettas in substandard care. =x

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta