Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #821 
Meeples

I totally agree! It's cute when all the parts don't fit together yet. PS, about Floyd's fins, I've read somewhere that they sometimes look spiky when they're growing out. So it's really hard to tell if he'll be a CT yet.
Meeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:24 PM   #822 
JBonez423

Lol figures! I've been trying to find pictures of juvenile veiltails, crowntail, etc. but it's difficult. I was hoping an avid breeder might catch sight of his picture and be able to tell me! =P
JBonez423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #823 
bannlow2471

Well now I've gone and done it! For the past couple of weeks I have been reading this baby Betta thread and thinking either one of two things. 1) I really HATE the idea of these teeny tiny babies being sold to who knows who and getting who knows what kind of care. OR 2) Those are the cutest darn things ever and I wish I could have one.

For some reason today after work I just couldn't seem to stop myself from stopping off at Petco "just to see." And you know how that story ends. There were three babies there and not really having much to go on (they were all teeny and practically colorless, all looked pretty lethargic and unhappy, etc) so I chose one at random and got some Hikari Biogold and also some Bettamin flakes just because I was afraid even the tiny little pellets would be too big for that tiny baby mouth. Also got a couple of plants, a thermometer and heater and came home to get him/her installed in Murray's old 2.5 gallon tank.

I treated the water with API Stresscoat and API Quick Stsrt and floated her in her cup for a solid almost two hours, adding teaspoon amounts of tank water to cup at twenty minute intervals. Whilst he/she was still confined to the dip cup I floated in a few pellets and there was definite interest but I wasn't sure if any were actually ingested. So I crushed up a few flakes and that seemed to work better. I was thinking before bed I would try a few frozen (thawed) brine shrimp. As of now the baby has been in the tank itself for about an hour and seems to be doing well. The thermometer (I got an aqueon 10 w mini heater) does appear to be slowly raising the temp. It is almost to 80 degrees.)

One thing I forgot was a test kit so I'll do that tomorrow.

Any suggestions on water changes or feeding or anything else? Thanks to this forum I feel like I pretty much know what to do but nonetheless its a bit daunting to realize how tiny and fragile this little guy or gal is and that this little life is in my hands.

Also ...I am estimating that this little one is about four weeks old now. At what age will tail type and gender become evident? I don't really care except that I don't care for gender neutral names all that much and am itching to christen this new little one.
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #824 
JBonez423

Floyd is about 11 weeks now and I'm still not 100% on his gender or type, so you're definitely in for a bit of a wait on that one! I think 9 times out of 10 it'll probably end up VT, though. I took the pellets and the flakes with the shrimp in them and crushed them all up together, they really seem to like that. With water changes, I keep my babies in a .75 gallon tank (they looks so huge in it... lol) for the first week or two, I try to do 50% water changes every couple days and refrain from full out water changes at first to minimize stress, but stuff does happen. I just had to change my newest baby's tank because I had put too much food in and it was getting gross lol.

It's actually not as scary and daunting as a lot of people think. I've rehabbed different baby animals all my life and thought I was in for an adventure, but I find as long as you keep them clean, warm and fed, they're happy little fish. =]
Old 03-23-2013, 09:38 AM   #825 
bannlow2471

Thank you so much JBonez! I agree with you ... At the core of it babies of most any species are pretty similar. I was a wildlife rehabbed for awhile and raised my share of baby squirrels, mockingbirds, bluejays, etc. I guess I'll just keep on doing what I'm doing and hope for the best. At the very least I think he/she is better off here than in that little cup with people gawking at them all day. Fingers crossed!
Old 03-23-2013, 10:04 AM   #826 
JBonez423

Definitely! I'm starting to prefer buying the babies over the adults, honestly, especially if it means a shorter amount of time being in teeny little cups! And as far as raising them goes, it's MUCH easier than having to put formula into a teeny syringe and feeding fidgety baby birds and squirrels! And no one has to be stimulated to go to the bathroom! ;]
Old 03-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #827 
JBonez423

Thought I'd post this, in case anyone's curious! PetCo baby vs PetCo adult..

Name:  babyvsadult.png
Views: 323
Size:  175.4 KB
Name:  vs.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  3.2 KB

Lol my babies have a whole lot of growing to do!!!

Last edited by JBonez423; 03-23-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #828 
bannlow2471

That sure is a big difference!
Old 03-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #829 
Hail0788

Mercedes has been doing so well that I went to PetCo and got me another baby.
Attached Images

Hail0788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #830 
bannlow2471

Wow! How many do you have now?? You are going to be busy!

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta