Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #891 
Xeek

Now that is def. a baby. It's grown up a bit now in your other pics! It's a fine fish you have! I almost want to say it's female based on the belly.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #892 
bannlow2471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeek View Post
Now that is def. a baby. It's grown up a bit now in your other pics! It's a fine fish you have! I almost want to say it's female based on the belly.
Really? Interesting. I thought girl at first but in the last couple of days I have felt like I definitely saw a beard when he/she was flaring. Ah who knows? Lol!
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #893 
Xeek

its near impossible to to tell this early.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #894 
bannlow2471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeek View Post
its near impossible to to tell this early.
Yeah so I've been told but that doesn't seem to stop me from obsessing over it LoL!
Old 04-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #895 
Xeek

She has the belly of a female, where the eggs will be, but young male bettas and present that and confuse you until they get closer to their adult size. If she shows a bit of white under that belly or some vertical lines it would be definite on the female answer.

My baby also ended up as female, which was fortunate! She fits in well with the sorority and never presented a problem of aggression. I suppose it's because she grew up in a transparent breeder box in the sorority tank - she automatically went to the bottom of the pecking order without any fights. Anyone that chases her will realize how a gold medal Olympic swimmer she is! She is small and super fast for a betta.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #896 
bannlow2471

Thanks, Xeek! This is all very fascinating to me as I am so new to Bettas in general, and baby Bettas for sure!
Old 04-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #897 
muasdc5

Two month update..to those who said she wouldn't survive with me using only a desk lamp as a heat source >:)

First got her at ~3/4"

Now she's almost 1 1/2"...

I want to raise another one, but i went last week and they had no more babies on the shelves, asked if they stopped selling and was told there were mmore coming..gonna go check later this week. I want to raise a male!!! lol

Last edited by muasdc5; 04-10-2013 at 04:00 PM.
muasdc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #898 
Xeek

My Petco also has no more babys and they haven't got any in a long while.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #899 
JBonez423

So I FINALLY got batteries for my camera. It's been something like three weeks, and everyone is undergoing some serious changes. I tell you one thing, though- raising bettas can be really, really confusing. I've been back and forth on gender, tail type, what have you. I finally gave up and just decided to enjoy the ride, and I'm thinking Marley and Floyd are finally beginning to show their true types/genders... hopefully. =P

So without further ado... picture time!

Elvis is still teeny. Haven't had to move him out of his 3/4 gallon kritter keeper, he still looks to teeny in comparison. Finally beginning to color up, though, and look a little less like a guppy!

Name:  elvis1.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  10.9 KB
Name:  elvis2.jpg
Size:  7.8 KB

Jagger has me riddled with curiosity. I don't have much experience with reds, do the have a tendency to have a pale body before they brighten up? Sometimes he looks maroon, other a brilliant crimson. Those strange iridescent spots showed up the last couple days. I'm still pretty certain she's female, although I'm just going by body shape and her egg spot. I think Marley might be proof that it's not always an accurate way to figure it out. =P

Name:  Jagger1.jpg
Size:  14.2 KB
Name:  Jagger2.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  7.2 KB
Name:  Jagger3.jpg
Size:  8.4 KB

Floyd is rapidly approaching the 4 month mark, and despite my earlier beliefs, I'm starting to believe s/he's actually female! Her body is growing, but her fins aren't, and those ventrals are starting to look short and fat. I don't know if I see an egg spot or not, I kind of see something there but my untrained eye can't really focus before she swims off. I'm also thinking she's a veiltail! That tail is really crinkling and flowing. Very cute surprise. =]

Out of curiosity, should I be worried she seems to swim with her ventrals to one side? Doesn't seem to impede her at all. Is this common is bettas, or a weird quirk?

Name:  Floyd1.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  8.5 KB
Name:  Floyd2.png
Views: 313
Size:  248.2 KB
Name:  Floyd3.png
Views: 312
Size:  271.5 KB
Name:  Floyd4.png
Size:  237.8 KB

Marley is really becoming my pride and joy (don't tell the rest). His egg spot completely disappeared, and his fins went CRAZY. I've heard a couple opinions on the type, from delta tail to round tail to half moon (Although I doubt that, because he only has two rays within the rays). His colors are really changing, and his fins are beginning to tint a steel blue color. I definitely think he was an awesome Petco find, especially considering the colorless runt he was when I first got him! Now he's bigger than Floyd lol.

Name:  Marley1.png
Views: 311
Size:  248.7 KB
Name:  Marley2.png
Views: 311
Size:  235.6 KB
Name:  Marley3.png
Size:  206.2 KB
Name:  Marley4.png
Views: 313
Size:  250.8 KB
Name:  Marley5.png
Views: 310
Size:  212.3 KB
Name:  Marley6.png
Size:  234.4 KB
Name:  Marley7.png
Views: 308
Size:  231.4 KB

I love these guys.

Any thoughts, guesses, comments much appreciated. =]

Last edited by JBonez423; 04-14-2013 at 12:44 PM.
JBonez423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #900 
BettaNubRandyLove

Outraged

Im angry at Petco. I go there today to find that they are participating in this poo. im planning on rescuing one. They were unmoving even when I tapped the plastic cups. Temperature was not nearly high enough. THESE FRY ARE SICK!
BettaNubRandyLove is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta