Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2011, 08:35 PM   #1 
Laki

what could this be?

I turned on my lamp tonight - and I think Lakitu has burns on his gills! This is absurd! What could cause that besides ammonia? I cleaned the tank yesterday when I moved him here to the table (he was in the kitchen window before). I did not notice this last night! He was fine, and I was admiring his tail re-growth.
It took me a while (since he knows camera = flash sometimes and swims away) but I have some pics.
He's in a 3 gallon kritter keeper. No filter but an air stone (to keep nasty protein off the surface). It's heated and the temp stays between 75 and 82. Don't know paramters bc I never tested them but I clean the thing 100% weekly. He's acting fine as well. Ate his bloodworms and pellets.

Now that my pics are uploaded you can only see the red here in this one. The red is on both sides
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #2 
Myates

Hmm.. odd it popped up over night. Did you remember to add in water conditioner?
I would also suggest, since there is no filter, that you do an additional 50% mid-week water change (or middle of your regular water changes). Especially now as to keep the area clean.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:27 AM   #3 
Laki

I did add conditioner. I almost forgot what with moving him but I always dry out his floating bag on the cap of the conditioner so I don't forget. I even put in a bit extra so he wouldn't be stressed. If it's caused by tap water then it's possibe I washed the net under the tap before placing him but I honestly cannot remember doing so. From habit if I rinse the net I swirl it in the fish-safe water first. Hm.. I hope I didn't hurt him!
As with leaving out the mid week changes, I only slacked on them lately because of hightening pressure with school getting my papers done and prepping for exams. I'll get back into the habit of doing changes again for sure.
He's eating fine- I just dropped in some pellets to see if any changes. I did notice him picking at the moss on the driftwood and pecking at seemingly nothing. His fins are still flared like the pic above, in fact- I've never seem them clamped. And he's active and seemingly un-bothered by the gills.. :<
As for popping up overnight. I honestly did not notice them the night before and since I had moved him out of the kitchen to a warmer spot could it be stress related reaction tot he move?
Old 12-16-2011, 10:34 AM   #4 
Myates

Rinsing the net in the water alone wouldn't of caused this..

Is the red inside his gill covers, or on the outside of them on his cheeks?

For now, there is no danger as long as you keep the water clean each week he should be just fine. I have a girl who has red on her gill covers ever since I got her, and it doesn't slow her down at all.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:52 AM   #5 
Laki

Seems to be just the gills. I always keep a sufficient amount of IAL in his water so should the tannins help him out too?