Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-06-2011, 07:08 PM   #11 
OliverTheBetta

If it were me, I'd put fin rot fishy in a QT (quarantine) cup and treat him there rather than trying to treat the whole 5-gallon tank. That way, you have better control of your salt measurements by using a one gallon jug of pre-treated water and you don't have to move the plants.

AND, doing 100% water changes daily is MUCH easier when "sick" fish is in a quarantine container (QT).

Sick fish doesn't need any gravel or substrate of any kind and just be sure to put the cup in a quiet, low-light location to help reduce stress.

Do you have access to Oak Leaves? If yes, steep them for about an hour in a gallon of water, then measure in your salt, add the dechorinator and save a few leaves to add to the QT cup...... your betta will love you for it. Just be sure he's got a place to get to the surface to breathe. Use that water to do your 100% water changes every day and sick fishy should be much better in no time.

Good luck with it.
OliverTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:28 AM   #12 
kfryman

All right I will try and get some Aquarium salt, I think there is a regional park that may have some oak leaves, I will ask my mom if I can go and walk. If the park doesn't have any oak trees I still had some exercise. (BTW this isn't like a playground park it is for hiking) Oh and how long will the salt solution last without having to make more?
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:50 AM   #13 
EvilVOG

salt solution should be 100% changed every day.

I was going to go out in the woods for oak leaves myself the other day, i barely got out the door and found one, eventually managed to fill a bag in the yard.

Aquarium salt is a little pricey... the pond guys turned me onto solar salt (it's normally used for water softeners) Pond guys have been using it for goldfish and Koi for years, and it only costs $5 for a 40lb bag. There's a debate if it's good for aquarium fish because it's only 99.5% salt (they get it by letting seawater evaporate in vats under sunlight) so there's .5% unknown sea whatever trapped in the crystal.

Just an option and not everyone likes the idea of solar salt
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:57 PM   #14 
kfryman

Thanks guys I just got AQ because I didn't have money and I am going to start treating him. I should invest in a small heater and a small critter keeper for quarantining fish. So no salt past 10 days right?
Can I make a 1 gallon jug and keep that or will it go bad past a couple of days?
Old 12-11-2011, 05:18 PM   #15 
EvilVOG

It would help to have a definite way to keep his temp consistent. To save money, id doesn't necessarily have to be an aquarium or critter keeper. A clean tub or bucket would work as long as your confident it won't melt or leech chemicals or anything like that. The clearness of aquariums and ect. is purely so we can watch the fish for our entertainment.

I would mix it every day. my room where i keep my bettas is 80 degrees, but a bucket of water left in the corner will drop to 72. you could keep some for a few days as many aquarium people age their water on purpose, but i wouldn't push it too far.

No salt past 10 days. After 5 i would really start watching him closely. Salt can help heal, but it also can hurt. The sticky says after 5 you can start increasing to 2 tsp/day. It also says to add Stress coat as the conditioner to help repair the tissue (for all 10 days).

The salt is to stop whatever's causing the deterioration, and the stress coat is to start the healing.

How's he doing now? is it worse?
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:57 PM   #16 
Myates

I don't believe it's fin rot-

I do want to recommend something I saw that you said in your original post that was missed-

Your cleaning schedule is on the very low end- giving the bacteria that rot needs the chance to grow.
In a 5 gal, filtered, cycled tank with live plants- 25-30% water changes per week is needed, with once to twice monthly siphoning of the gravel. This is assuming that you have multiple live plants and not just one- but once every couple of weeks really isn't idea.

You can use the 1 gallon pre-mix for multiple days- just keep it at room temp and shake it before each use. I personally wouldn't use it, but if you decide to do so- 1 tsp per gallon, make sure you dissolve the salt prior to adding your guy in it, daily 100% water changes and I doubt he even needs to be in the full 10 days as what he has is most likely his natural coloration- he doesn't have rot in the damaged areas of the fins where rot forms at. So I'd just give him 3-5 days in it if you feel you need to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilVOG View Post
Salt will kill your live plants, so either move him or the plants. There was a convo on the home page where someone recommended just water changes without salt, as using salt has become a hot button issue around here.
Those conversations were talking about a ripped/chewed fins- not fin rot. Myself and many of the experienced members here believe salt isn't needed, and many people have cured fin rot just on water changes alone- since rot tends to need the right conditions to live and with clean water changed daily, it doesn't get it. Please it's not a hot button, it's an opinion of many experienced owners and vet. Why I would suggest lessening the use of AQ salt in this situation as it's not truly needed- and exposing your fish to something that has potential to harm the kidney/liver when not needed isn't a good idea.

But.. that's just my opinion and experience.

Last edited by Myates; 12-11-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:03 PM   #17 
Myates

Has the area been shrinking any? Pieces of the black area falling off?
Old 12-11-2011, 06:52 PM   #18 
kfryman

Okay thanks Myates, and no, no fins falling off so should I take him out of the quarantine? It has also not spread so I was not very sure if it was rot but people convinced me!
Old 12-11-2011, 06:52 PM   #19 
kfryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Has the area been shrinking any? Pieces of the black area falling off?
Oh and no, the area has stayed the same maybe a tiny bit more but it doesn't look like it is rotting.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #20 
Myates

Personally, I would go ahead and return him, do a small water change when you do. Keep an eye on it though just in case, as it doesn't look like it is rot- doesn't mean it isn't. If it does spread or flake off then you can start treatment, otherwise clean water can do the trick when caught early.

I zoomed in and the area is a little see-through.. but that doesn't mean anything really, so for the next couple of weeks I would recommend 2 water changes per week at 25%; not too much for your tank to handle it, and enough to keep the water clean. This is just my edumacated recommendation, and the experience of others who had dealt with severe rot from newly bought fish who only used clean water to treat.

If it does seem to spread, then the 1 tsp of AQ salt and daily 100% water changes should be enough to get rid of it.