Old 12-11-2011, 08:03 PM   #21 
kfryman

Okay and btw I already did A water change earlier
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:44 PM   #22 
EvilVOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Those conversations were talking about a ripped/chewed fins- not fin rot.
Actually they were about a post someone made about the dangers of salt on a human body, and a couple of quotes. One was that person saying something to the effect of "i'm not sure about fish" and "I know someone who said..." before talking about fish.

And you wonder why i think this is personal. What does this have to do with THIS fish? You should be happy as i gave him your advice as well as the board's advice that was the same as two other people in this thread. Just couldn't resist could you?

Feel free to add in stuff that got overlooked like the cleaning/water change schedule that might HELP someone.

And again if you think you know better, and the sticky is wrong, then you really should go chat it up with the admin about it and have the sticky changed. Until then i will go about giving the most reliable information i have at hand.

kfryman I'm glad he's doing better. And I agree if it hasn't spread by now than salt isn't needed.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:07 PM   #23 
Myates

And I did add in things that were overlooked, and that needed to be said to make sure to avoid rot. That had nothing against you o.O
I made sure to say it was my recommendation, and I was clarifying the stab you made, that they were in reference to something different then fin rot.

Last edited by Myates; 12-11-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:19 PM   #24 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
Okay and btw I already did A water change earlier
Then no need for another tonight (unless you already did lol- sorry, wasn't expecting to get back on tonight)

Keep us updated on how he is doing.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:24 PM   #25 
EvilVOG

It was totally a stab, that's why you're going back through every one of my posts one by one. It was completely unnecessary to even mention that quote. All i did was gave him your option, and your quoting it helps kfryman how?

That was, in fact, in reference to a post that was on the main page at the time. And it, while partially useful, was totally out of context and about a different type of animal entirely. And the only thing directly related to fish in it was again, "something i heard someone say once". Who even knows what the person they were talking about was talking about? It's second-hand and out of context.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:32 PM   #26 
Myates

"using salt has become a hot button issue around here." was not an option I gave :P
Old 12-11-2011, 10:50 PM   #27 
EvilVOG

Quote:
Salt will kill your live plants, so either move him or the plants. There was a convo on the home page where someone recommended just water changes without salt, as using salt has become a hot button issue around here.
I gave him both options and told him there was a debate, and there's clearly a debate about using salt, as you keep talking about how dangerous it is and that you think that people should not use it, contrary to what the stickies say. The only reason you brought it up, and are continuing with it is clearly your personal vendetta.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:42 AM   #28 
Myates

I tell people all the time to use AQ salt, I really do and have been. BUT I will shy people away from it when it is not needed as over exposure and sensitive fish to the salt can and is very dangerous. I am sorry that at times I will say no salt is needed, especially for something such as a ripped fin- but to me why risk the health of a fish when clean water is all that is needed? The one who wrote the stickies will tell you herself that they are just a basic guideline and was put to me "not the automatic prescription for everything." The debate is when you get mad at me for correcting, or giving them an alternative treatment. I have no problem directing people to use salt when it is truly needed. It's a matter of the opinion of the people offering help- and the OP to decide what works best for them. So instead of making little remarks- just put in helpful information and if treatments differ, then no biggie, let the OP decide :)
Old 12-12-2011, 12:47 PM   #29 
kfryman

Okay so how often should I chang the water 50% a week or what?
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #30 
Myates

Normally for that size planted, 25-30% per week is what you are wanting- with siphoning of the gravel once or twice a month.

For the next few weeks, I would recommend 2 water changes per week, both 25% to help keep the water a little cleaner in case he does have a tad bit of fin rot.