Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-05-2011, 04:54 PM   #1 
Jstpotter

what is on this bettas tail

I have a betta purchased from petsmart 3 yrs and 1 month ago. I have watched a white growth slowly spread on his tail area for several weeks. I have recently transferred him from his previous 1.8 gallon tank to a 10 gal aquarium to hopefully keep a better regulated temperature, which was difficult in his smaller tank.

The fish has his normal behavior: curious, good eater, etc. I have treated with fungus clear per directions twice to no apparent success. I am two days in to a 5 day regimen of lifeguard tablets. Im just not confident he has a fungus and/or tail rot. Could this be somekind of growth or other diesease?

His tail area is reduced, IE the space between the rear tail and belly tail is wider apart, and the white 'thing' is irregular edged, vividly white and curled up, reminscent of spray insulation foam, but not fuzzy in my estimation. Also on his other side you can't really tell anything is happening to his tail!
Attached Images

Jstpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:24 PM   #2 
Luimeril

could be a tumor.... that's the only thing i can think of that'd look like that. :T
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:47 PM   #3 
Jstpotter

Thanks for the reply Luimeril. I am concerned it is a tumor and there nothing to do for it in that case :(

Hopefully, I have attached a clearer pic
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2011, 06:20 PM   #4 
Myates

Looks like it may be lymphocystis..
Go ahead and stop the fungus treatment, as it won't do anything in this case..

It is not necessarily fatal, but it can potentially impact the betta fish life span significantly. Was he in another tank with other fish? Or have you recently gotten a new fish and have used the same net and such with each one? Anything added into your tank that is new?
If this is what I think it is, it's highly contagious and you will need to sterilize your equipment. If he has it the only thing you can do is wait it out, with clean water. Do your regular water changes, adding in an extra small one during the week to keep his water clean enough. In time it should go away with clean water, if it is truly lymphocystys.

I wish I could add more, but to me that is what it looks like- but it's a little blurry so can't be 100%

Does it look similar to this?
Attached Images

Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:29 PM   #5 
Jstpotter

I apologize my pictures are AWFUL, I will try again to get a very clear photo.

I have googled Lymphocystis and I am thinking this is a possibility.

I don't have any other fish with him or in the house for that matter.

I do have live plants that I might have possible purchased prior to the development of this white growth thingy. Would one have to have introduced this virus in some way?
Old 12-06-2011, 12:22 PM   #6 
Jstpotter

Update on my fish:

The 'white' stuff has mostly been replaced with a blue color, not the dark blue fish of the fish, but a light blue that looks like a fish scale more of less....as opposed to the crusty looking ruffly white appearance. I hope this indicates maybe its healing?

I have a canon powershot a1000 and iphone but I can't get a nice clear pic. Any tips?
Old 12-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #7 
Jstpotter

better pics

MUCH better pics now, you can see the three dimensions of the 'disease?' area, any opinions?? :)
Attached Images