Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-05-2011, 10:19 PM   #1 
Draug Isilme

Open bottom fish tanks(?)

I just absolutely adore the look and was wondering if anyone's bought one or made one themselves. I just think it would be a fantastic tank to have and I could possibly turn the bottom half into a riparium (which is something I've been thinking of doing =^.^) while the back, taller part of the tank can display the fishies and even more aquatic plants.

Here's one example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5InNVJ_Ythc

I was also wondering if anyone's tried this tank with bettas and how they fair in the taller part- I know someone had a forum similar to this where they used a vase and they said they had to add a bit of air in it so the betta won't freak when trying to breath in that part of the tank/vase >.>;;....
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:53 AM   #2 
bahamut285

The top part is created by creating a vacuum at the top. I wouldn't personally recommend it for labyrinth breathers because there would be no air for them to access. You can leave a little bit of air up at the top, but it won't last very long before it is anoxic.

I HAVE seen a youtube video of somebody who had their betta in one of these for a year but again, I wouldn't do it because you never know what might happen when you're not looking.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:06 AM   #3 
Draug Isilme

Ah, okay, I thought so. I figured the air would get stale er somethin if left too long >.>... I just wasn't sure... I suppose if it were a 'mini' open bottom tank, then it would be more doable, but something on a more larger scale would be better with other kinds of species.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:10 AM   #4 
bastage

The look is awesome.. I Want to set one up in my grandparents pond. Would be really neat especially in the winter time with snow on top & all around & Fish still swimming in it (there water will not freeze due to the well trype they have)
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:55 AM   #5 
Myates

A member here has one for his betta.. a cylinder on the right of his tank, very interesting and pretty.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:54 AM   #6 
Tikibirds

Intersting idea. WOuLd an airstone help with circulation at the top??
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:20 AM   #7 
bastage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
Intersting idea. WOuLd an airstone help with circulation at the top??
Problem with an airstone is that it would be adding air to the top & would eventually push all the water out the bottom.
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:40 AM   #8 
Brian10962001

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastage View Post
Problem with an airstone is that it would be adding air to the top & would eventually push all the water out the bottom.
I see people with air stones in these tanks, are you sure it will displace the water?
Brian10962001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #9 
Draug Isilme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
A member here has one for his betta.. a cylinder on the right of his tank, very interesting and pretty.
yeah, I saw that one, it's the one I was mentioning above as a small example ^.^
Old 12-06-2011, 03:39 PM   #10 
Draug Isilme

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastage View Post
The look is awesome.. I Want to set one up in my grandparents pond. Would be really neat especially in the winter time with snow on top & all around & Fish still swimming in it (there water will not freeze due to the well trype they have)
Speaking of, I think you'd enjoy these videos if you haven't seen them already:
I think it looks a bit over stocked, but that's just how I feel... Otherwise, it's pretty much what you were talking about outside with a pond ^.^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g7nlQXkZy4

And here's this one with the same concept, but with spheres... The look is just amazing- I actually like it more than the other one >.>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-PH2...d&noredirect=1