Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-06-2011, 12:11 AM   #1 
BandGeek91

So Excited!

My friend recently told me that she didn't want her betta anymore...I have had horrible luck with fish, but I try so hard to keep them happy. She said he just wouldn't die (she wasn't a very good owner) so I figured why not give it a shot?

8 Days ago she dropped him off. He was just in a small vase, and he looked so sad! There were no rocks or anything for him to enjoy! I was so excited about getting a fishy that I had told all my family, and they had generously donated a couple of toys and my parents sent down my fish tank (I'm in college,the tank was 8 hours away...my cousin just drove it here yesterday!). So, for the first week, he was chillin' in the spot of honor on my shelves, right next to my desk.

His name was originally Zelda the Third (the first two Zeldas had died, I guess) but I renamed him Al Swearingen, from the PBS series DeadWood. I had done research, and when my Al arrived he was depressed. But I talk to him every day, and play music for him when I'm not home, and he's a totally happy guy now!

When I was setting up his 5 gallon tank just for him, he was freakin' out in his little vase, and just kept swimmin' towards the tank. He just wouldn't be patient! So, after the twenty four hours of the tank just adjusting to room temperature, I plopped him in, and boy was he excited! The last few hours he's been swimmin' around, just enjoying himself...I almost got worried because he almost got stuck in a little cavey thing I got him, but he backed out. He's not at dumb as he looks (said affectionately, of course).

I'm just so excited that he's happy...I was wondering if anyone had any other ways to keep their betta happy, on a limited budget. Or what I can expect from my new best bud. Thanks!
BandGeek91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:36 AM   #2 
Kytkattin

Congrats on your new fish! A heater will be the next step towards keeping him happy and healthy. While bettas can survive without heat, they won't truly thrive, and their immune system will be compromised.
Live plants are also fun, but you have to have the right lights (which you might already).

And of course we love pictures here!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:59 AM   #3 
BandGeek91

I'll get some pictures up as soon as I can. Heater is added, he immediately went to investigate! I ws thinking about getting him a snail buddy, which I read would also help keep the amount of algae down. I had a filter, but it was too big and rough for him. If I get him a snail buddy or some floating plants, will that help with algae and filtration (read it somewhere, not sure how right it is)?
Old 12-06-2011, 12:30 PM   #4 
Kytkattin

Yay, he will love the heat!

Snails might eat some algae, but they don't keep the tank cleaner. The opposite, in fact. They have quite a large bioload, so it will make the tank dirtier, faster. Not to say you shouldn't get one, but I would only recommend it if you get your filter set up in a way that it works for him.
The filter can be baffled in order to slow down the current. I have a very strong filter on my 5.5 tank and my fish don't even know it is there because I have an aquarium sponge attached to the front.
Plants are great filters. I currently have a 2 gallon that is kept cleaner by about 8 different species of plants. Anacharis is a good starting plant. So are moss balls. Just keep in mind that you need certain lights in order to grow some plants successfully. Moss balls are about the only ones I can think of that are very low light, though Anubias might do well.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:26 AM   #5 
Silverfang

lots of plants, silk or live, I know my boys love them! A thermometer to monitor the water temp is also a wise buy.

I'm sure he's loving the attention! One other question is what are you feeding him? A nice pellet is best, aim for 42% protein or better
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #6 
BandGeek91

I've got the pellets BettaMin pellets, they float and he seemed to be pretty excited. :)
Old 12-08-2011, 11:29 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

He sounds like a very happy fishie. Welcome to the forum and the betta addiction. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:36 AM   #8 
kfryman

Sounds like he is enjoying his new owner. BEWARE the addiction is very hard to get rid of lol.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:56 AM   #9 
tpocicat

Welcome to the forum! Hearing about happy bettas just warm my heart. Beware betta addiction.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:29 PM   #10 
steftravels

congrats on saving him!! He is now the spoiled betta he should be!
steftravels is offline   Reply With Quote