Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-09-2011, 02:46 AM   #1 
rckstr1253

What should I do?

Well I officially have 3 betta tail biters......and the one finally has his tail growing back. Unfortunately this morning I woke up to see the one betta(1 of 3) has his tail all nibbled on and his top fin is like torn off and hanging. He is in a tank with mostly foxtail soft plants, but the one dinosaur bubbler decoration has fake plants on it. I think he could of torn the top fin on that but he's been with that item for 3 months almost.....so is it due to the item or is he now feasting on his top fin after nibbling on his back fin?
rckstr1253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:48 AM   #2 
Arashi Takamine

Honestly...It sounds like you need to up your husbandry a little and make sure that your PH isn't off. Betta's do the weirdest stuff for the dumbest reasons. My CT Akira before he died only let two of his rays grow back any others? He'd find a way to rip 'em off with his teeth.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:10 AM   #3 
Luimeril

i gave up on stopping Ichi, my Delta tail. but, you wanna find out why they're doing it. what size tanks are they all in. how often do you change the water in the tanks? what kind of decor do they have?
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:14 PM   #4 
rckstr1253

Well I currently have my betta in a 2 gallon fluval spec nano tank. He seemed fine for 2 months or so with 2-3 20-40%water changes a week. The other betta I have is thriving once I started to do those water changes more often and now has his tail growing back. This guy though was fine in a .5 gallon tank for a month and then was fine in the 2 gallon tank but now is biting his fins and the top fin is almost completely torn off his body. The only thing I could think of that he could of got stuck on was a fake plant glued to my dinosaur bubbler ornament. I did the panty hose test on it and it didn't rip or ripple the panty hose. The other plants in the tank are the soft vibracolors foxtail plants. So I don't know what to do at this point but I must say I am starting to regret ever purchasing this betta fish. I know that might sound awful, but at this point I am a little fed up with this one. The other 2 I like better and don't seem to have any issues with.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:37 PM   #5 
Kytkattin

Do any of the tanks have filters? If so, there might be a strong current that is billowing them about and they are biting to stop that.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:02 PM   #6 
rckstr1253

Yea all 3 tanks have a filter......2 are the hexagon led tanks that petco sells.....I actually dampened the flow with filter floss stuffed in the the filter intake vents. As for the fluval, the current to the filter doesnt seem to bother him much but the out take flow that sends water back into the tank sometimes throws him. To fix this I put 2 thick foxtail plants in front of it and it seemed to stop him getting thrown around. Its been like this for 2 or so months and everything was fine until early this week. Now he looks all beat up and the top fin is barely connected to his body.
I had an idea to fix the fluval out take problem even more but I haven't been able to find an extra tubing part since I haven't found one used or some one selling one for parts.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:27 PM   #7 
Luimeril

can they see each other at all? how decorated are their tanks? my first delta, Dante, tail bit horribly, then i gave him lots of plants, and rearranged them weekly during water changes, and he stopped.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:12 PM   #8 
rckstr1253

I have 2 large red foxtail plants in the tank, the dinosaur bubbler thing which he usually plays with, a small green foxtail plant, and a betta leaf. Will the top fin heal itslef or will it tear off?
Old 12-09-2011, 08:01 PM   #9 
Luimeril

they all should heal up just fine. if you can get Indian Almond Leaves, or even naturally dried oak leaves, add one to each tank, and that'll help their fins out. :3
Old 12-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #10 
LittleBettas

You might want to check your betta leaf.... on the bottom there is a metal wire that il rust and pop out... its cause fin ripping and even open wounds on some bettas...
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote