Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-06-2011, 09:46 PM   #1 
kriben

Talking A spawn thread(first one with questions and pics!)

Well my brother and I had three male bettas for a few months now and thought it would be fun to breed bettas. We purchased two females and one if plump full of eggs and darkly colored. She has some blue in her eyes and random blue scales. Her fins are mostly red though, interesting combo. The male is dark red-purple(I would say maroonish, but I got pictures) with some large brightly colored fins. Most beautiful male I have seen with my eyes in person. He is in a 10 gallon spawning tank that we initially didn't have heated because it was sitting around 75 which from my reading said was fine. It slowly dropped to 72 over several days so today I added a heater and set it for 72, but it warmed the water to 77. Until this point the male wasn't building a bubble nest, and wasn't really even trying. I have some hornwort and anarchis floating and in weighted bunches. The water level is about 8-10" deep(lfs said that was okay, but I am not too sure with conflicting ideals in this. I have read as low as 4" to as deep as a 10 gallon filled all the way...). The female is in a livebearer breeding trap(no divider or bottom grate). She is nicely barred and has been since introduced to the male, so good signs! So some questions I guess: Should the water level be lower, or is it okay to leave it the way it is now that a bubble nest is present? How can I tell when the male is ready for the female to be introduced? I have read when he is finished or close to it with the bubble nest, how do I tell? In the stickies above, it says that it is recommended to remove the male for first timers, why is this? I would like to keep the male with the young to watch how it goes. How long does it take for fry to be large enough for sale? My experience thus far is that my male is fairly gentle with females. She has jumped while the lid from the breeding trap was left off accidently and been untouched. He flares up at her but isn't fast enough to actually nip her.

Here are some pictures(I know, I know they are veil tails but I am not into showing bettas. My lfs can take them all as long as it works out that I can give an estimant when the young will be large enough.)

Male:

Female:

kriben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #2 
kfryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriben View Post

Here are some pictures(I know, I know they are veil tails but I am not into showing bettas. My lfs can take them all as long as it works out that I can give an estimant when the young will be large enough.)
I am sorry to say but I don't think that you should just breed and not have a very set plan. Some LFS already have breeders supplying them, you should find out first before you have more bettas then you can handle. The entire reason why I don't/can't breed is space. Some spawns can have over 500+ fry and at a certain age they need to be jarred. I just hope you have it all thought out.

PS I am not trying to be mean I just want you to know that breeding takes space.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:11 PM   #3 
kriben

The only other people in my town(only 20K for population) that are breeding are not spawing bettas at the moment. They had a batch go into the lfs this past September and they haven't spawned any bettas since. My lfs did say that they will take in the spawn from my two, probably some of their best customers. I swear that I am in almost everyother day for something. This is going to be my only spawn, I simply don't have room to do it regularily. The other breeders were able to keep there male bettas together without fighting until they were a sellable size for the lfs. I have read that keeping the male with the fry helps reduce fighting amongst siblings. This is my first spawn and will be my only one for a long time. I am breeding them because I am waiting to set up a saltwater tank and a cichlid breeding tank. Thought has gone into where and how I am going to home the fry once they reach a decent size.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:08 AM   #4 
kfryman

Oh okay thats perfectly fine, see in my city there are about 250,000 people and I live by San Fransisco. So my situation is much more different. And it is very nice that you asked them first. i hope your spawn will go well!
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:53 AM   #5 
trilobite

Beautiful pair, I am in love with your female! keep us updated with heaps of pictures
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:21 AM   #6 
kriben

I will definantly keep you guys posted. Today I was thinking of releasing her with the male, but his bubble nest is now spread out instead of layered like it was before lights went out. I guess I will have to see how it looks this afternoon when I get home. She does have spunk, just yesterday after the bubble nest was being made she started puffing up at the male when he puffed up at her lol.