Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-16-2011, 06:48 PM   #1 
jman828

Sbd?

The other day I noticed my betta floating at the top vertically and just acting wierd....I looked at him to see if there was any symptoms or anything but couldn't find anything.....I just looked at him swimming just now pretty normal but saw a rather large bloat! So I just need to know the best thing to do, I don't have much experiance with bloating :(

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gal
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Male betta

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta Bites Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets / twice daily

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime by Seachem

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:5
pH: ~8
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Bloated a fair amount
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? vertically floating
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A few days ago (about 2) saw bloat today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no, don't know how
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? had him 1 month
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:25 PM   #2 
jman828

Any help? Going to check google for answers now but advice from here is much better. Anyone?
Old 11-16-2011, 11:13 PM   #3 
jman828

No answers so I gave him a small amount of pea and will fast him
Old 11-17-2011, 12:35 AM   #4 
flowerslegacy

Hi jman, Sorry to hear about your little guy. First, don't feed him peas. Bettas cannot process peas correctly. They could actually make the bloat worse. But don't stress over it, we'll just move forward - he'll be fine. First, don't feed him anything. He needs to fast for a couple of days. Second, isolate him into a heated QT tank if you have one. If not, you'll need to find a container you can put him in and float him in your main tank. It sounds like common SBD so start him on an Epsom Salt (ES)treatment. Add 1tsp of dissolved ES to each gallon of dechlorinated water. If your QT container is smaller than a gallon, you can use a separate gallon jug to mix up the solution, and then use that for the water changes. You'll want to do 100% water changes daily. I'll PM one of the health experts and have them step in. I know a little bit about various disease issues, but I'm not the expert to direct you in the long run. ES is actually not salt, it's magnesium sulphate. It helps draw fluid out of the body and that is why it's prescribed for any type of bloat. One of the main causes for bloat is the type and/or quantity of food that they're being fed. Perhaps your little guy just doesn't do well with the type of pellets you're using? I'm not sure. It wouldn't hurt to give a few frozen blood worms once or twice a week to vary their diet anyway. Hang in there and I'll round up someone for you. I'll stay posted!
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:00 AM   #5 
Myates

Sorry to hear about your little guy.. is there a way to get a picture?

If you're only feeding 4 pellets a day then unsure whether or not that is enough to bloat him- especially since it's only 2 per meal. But, he could be constipated..

Just to rule out other issues...
On your last water change, when was it? If it was right before you noticed the symptoms- did you remove him from the tank to do the water change? How did you acclimate him to the new water? Was the new water the same temp as the tank (using a thermometer to check)? Do you siphon out the substrate?
Are there any other signs of illnesses? Does he have loss of coloring? Is he clamped? Is he "gasping"?
Have you noticed any white to his waste lately?

He could be bloated/constipated by the food if those can all be answered as "no". Go ahead and do as Flowers mentioned, the fasting for 3 days, the Epsom Salt treatment- which you will want to do until about 2 days past his last bloating.

Was he bloated while he was vertical or did the bloating come after?

It's hard to find an exact answer until can rule out other issues.. and again, a picture would go a long way as well.

Oh, and this is for Flowers ;)
Attached Images

Last edited by Myates; 11-17-2011 at 07:03 AM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:16 AM   #6 
jman828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Sorry to hear about your little guy.. is there a way to get a picture? I will try to get one later today, it's not too terribly bloated but he is bloated.

If you're only feeding 4 pellets a day then unsure whether or not that is enough to bloat him- especially since it's only 2 per meal. But, he could be constipated..

Just to rule out other issues...
On your last water change, when was it? If it was right before you noticed the symptoms- did you remove him from the tank to do the water change? Sunday It was before I noticed, I didn't remove him
How did you acclimate him to the new water? Was the new water the same temp as the tank (using a thermometer to check)? Do you siphon out the substrate? The new water was the same temp, I did vacuum the gravel.
Are there any other signs of illnesses? Does he have loss of coloring? Is he clamped? Is he "gasping"? Not that I have noticed
Have you noticed any white to his waste lately? No but it blends in with the gravel so it's hard to tell

He could be bloated/constipated by the food if those can all be answered as "no". Go ahead and do as Flowers mentioned, the fasting for 3 days, the Epsom Salt treatment- which you will want to do until about 2 days past his last bloating.

Was he bloated while he was vertical or did the bloating come after?
Not positive because I didn't notice the bloat until yesterday and he started floating on Sunday so he might have been floating before the bloat.

It's hard to find an exact answer until can rule out other issues.. and again, a picture would go a long way as well. Will try to get a pic.

Tried the best i could to answer
Old 11-18-2011, 06:50 AM   #7 
Myates

When you changed his water, I'm assuming you put in water conditioner? I'm just ruling out water chemistry, since when they go into shock, even minor, they sometimes have SBD symptoms.

So as of now, he is swimming okay, just a little bloated- I would place him in a smaller bare bottom QT container, even a soap free, residue free tupperware, something that can be floated in his tank to keep him warm. Use it while you do the Epsom Salt treatment, that way you can see whether or not he is pooing, and whether it is white or normal brown.
My guess right now is either just constipated or parasites- the Epsom will help with the constipation and bloating, and if you see his waste being white then we can add in the correct medication.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:20 AM   #8 
jman828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
When you changed his water, I'm assuming you put in water conditioner? I'm just ruling out water chemistry, since when they go into shock, even minor, they sometimes have SBD symptoms.
I did put in conditioner, but he may have gone into shock somehow because slightly after the change he was acting strange and then got bloated, so I don't know if he was acting strange or it was shock.

So as of now, he is swimming okay, just a little bloated- I would place him in a smaller bare bottom QT container, even a soap free, residue free tupperware, something that can be floated in his tank to keep him warm. Use it while you do the Epsom Salt treatment, that way you can see whether or not he is pooing, and whether it is white or normal brown.
My guess right now is either just constipated or parasites- the Epsom will help with the constipation and bloating, and if you see his waste being white then we can add in the correct medication.Ok, he's got almost back to normal in his regular tank with no salt so I think it was just a simple bloat because he's almost back to his normal roundness. If it doesn't get better I will do that.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:35 AM   #9 
Myates

Alrighty, it's always good that they can fix up on their own :)
Old 11-19-2011, 05:04 PM   #10 
jman828

Well, I thought he was getting better but not as good as I thought....Going to get my QT out and aclimate him into some E. Salt water for a few days until he's back to normal. I'll keep you posted! :)