Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-06-2011, 02:23 AM   #1 
MarcusTheGreat
Member
 
MarcusTheGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto
Maturing A New Tank

how long do i have to wait after i mature my tank to put my little guy in?


i know lots of questions but i wanna get it right
MarcusTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:58 AM   #2 
youlovegnats
Member
 
youlovegnats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Well it depends on if it's cycled of not.
What size is the tank?
Are you cycling it or just letting it sit?
Filters?
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #3 
SmokeNLark
Member
 
SmokeNLark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
It all depends on cycling. If your tank is 5 gallons or over, you'll probably want to cycle. Check out the cycling sticky for good info on that.

If your tank is smaller and unfiltered, you can add your fish as soon as the temperature is right. (and you've added dechlorinator)
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:47 PM   #4 
MarcusTheGreat
Member
 
MarcusTheGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by youlovegnats View Post
Well it depends on if it's cycled of not.
What size is the tank?
Are you cycling it or just letting it sit?
Filters?
Its a 6G tank and yes with a filter
MarcusTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:50 PM   #5 
MarcusTheGreat
Member
 
MarcusTheGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeNLark View Post
It all depends on cycling. If your tank is 5 gallons or over, you'll probably want to cycle. Check out the cycling sticky for good info on that.

If your tank is smaller and unfiltered, you can add your fish as soon as the temperature is right. (and you've added dechlorinator)
can u please send me the link to the sticky i cant find it id appreciate it bud thanks
MarcusTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:36 PM   #6 
MarcusTheGreat
Member
 
MarcusTheGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto
what if i don't put in the filter?
MarcusTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #7 
youlovegnats
Member
 
youlovegnats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN
If you don't filter, then a cycle won't happen. It'd just be stagnant.
It might take up to 2-3 months for the tank to cycle fully. But you'd also need to keep an eye on the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels (by using test kits).

Here's the link to the sticky.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:16 PM   #8 
MarcusTheGreat
Member
 
MarcusTheGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by youlovegnats View Post
If you don't filter, then a cycle won't happen. It'd just be stagnant.
It might take up to 2-3 months for the tank to cycle fully. But you'd also need to keep an eye on the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels (by using test kits).

Here's the link to the sticky.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838
ok sso say if i dont use a filter i don't have to cycle ? or
MarcusTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:39 PM   #9 
youlovegnats
Member
 
youlovegnats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusTheGreat View Post
ok sso say if i dont use a filter i don't have to cycle ? or
Right. No filter- no cycling. But you'd have to do more frequent water changes.
With a filter- cycling. Less water changes (but not by much).
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:29 PM   #10 
MarcusTheGreat
Member
 
MarcusTheGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by youlovegnats View Post
Right. No filter- no cycling. But you'd have to do more frequent water changes.
With a filter- cycling. Less water changes (but not by much).
okkk thanks bud ur helping me so muchhh ok so if i remove the filter i dont have to cycle all i have to do is pure the chlorine killer how long do i have to wait untill i put my betta in?
MarcusTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NPT Maturing? Marshall Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 2 10-13-2011 08:46 AM
help with maturing black fire hmboyz Betta Chat 11 07-02-2011 03:59 PM
Guppy Fry Maturing guppygirl01 The Lounge 0 04-19-2011 01:38 PM
ages and maturing bettalover2033 Breeding Betta Fish 18 08-11-2010 12:26 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.