Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-06-2011, 04:48 PM   #1 
BettaBuddy101

Question Thoughts on my tank needed :)

This is my bettas tank:
If the link isn't working, please find it here: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=dmqzw9&s=5 :)

My betta lives in a 7.4 US gallon (28L) tank, along with 3 cherry shrimp and 4 pygmy cories (C.Pygmaeus). I am aware that the cories are best in larger groups + in bigger tanks, but my lfs said they would be ok, and they seem to be doing great since I added them just over 3 weeks ago. They are active and love to explore the whole bottom half of the tank.

What do you think of my decor? What might improve it? I've got some silk plants, some anubias planted onto wood and a marimo moss ball.

I have considered adding a single nerite snail, as I do have a little 'algae issue' at the moment, though the photo doesn't show this. Although I only have the lights on for around 5 hours a day, I am forever getting algae growing on the sides (brown diatoms). However, I understand that they have high bio-loads and my tank is already in the borderline overstocked region - would it be better to just get a better algae magnet (it's the green thing in the top left corner but isn't very effective at all at getting it off)?

Thanks
BettaBuddy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:04 PM   #2 
jessiepbg

I don't know much about snails, so I don't know exactly how much they'll help with that particular algae. I always just use one of those aquarium sponge-on-a-stick things and scrub the algae off myself. I have this one and I love it: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...n=Product+Type. If we've got the same kind of algae, the only thing I've found that likes it is the Siamese algae eater, but that's way too big of a fish to be adding to a fully stocked tank.

The Corydoras would probably appreciate some kind of cave to hang out in on occasion and your betta and shrimp might get some use out of it too.

Fish keeping is not a hard and fast science, some people are able to keep fish at stocking levels that would be inappropriate in most situations. If your cories look happy, aren't moving their gills rapidly when at rest, and are eating well, you've probably lucked out and have some hardier fish who are able to survive in more stressful conditions(or you're doing a really good job keeping the aquarium clean and inviting for them). Just make sure you're keeping your parameters within healthy conditions and you should be good to go.
jessiepbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #3 
Anitax3x

if you have an algae problem, marimo mossballs help, they are a type of algae but they stay in a ball and they suck up all the nutrients any other types of algae would use to sustain themselves. You shouldn't add snails as they hurt more than they help. You might want some bigger plants for the betta to hide in. I mean Normally I wouldnt have so many fish in a 7 gal because you're definitely overstocked. Do you have a filter ? If not I'd look into getting one due to how many fish you have in there.
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:42 PM   #4 
Myates

I see you already have a moss ball.. it's a pretty tank :)

The only thing I would of changed is removing the cories.. a 7 gal is rather small for them.. yes, an LFS employee will tell you just about anything to make a sale. Yes, they can technically live in there semi comfortable.. but there isn't a whole lot of low lying plants for them to rummage through, not a whole lot of foot print for them- longer and bigger rather then tall.

I would do 1 50% and 1 10-25% water changes per week to try to keep up with the bio load in there.. 5 fish in a 7 gal is a stretch.

With what you have in there, a snail would be well overkill, as just the single snail would have more bio load and waste then the others.. it would be a set up for a disaster.

Otherwise, it looks pretty :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:28 PM   #5 
BettaBuddy101

Myates: I bought the cories from a small LFS rather than a large chain store such as Pets at Home (UK) or Petco (US) that is usually very good - pristine tanks, good advice. They did say that 6+ wouldn't be apropriate, but that a small group as such would be fine. They seem to be doing great so far anyway - I'll be sure to keep a close eye on them.

I'll think about adding some more plants, how about the front right hand corner? I'm not sure about any more live plants at the moment, would some nice silk ones be alright? What sort of height would you think apropriate? The smallest in my tank at the moment are about 13cm tall if I straighten them out flat out of the water. I may consider adding one or two more larger ones too, mainly in front of the filter. I also wanted to add 1 or 2 more marimo 'moss' balls at some point.

Last edited by BettaBuddy101; 12-07-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:32 PM   #6 
BettaBuddy101

Anitax3x: I do have a filter - it's the grey/black thing in the top right hand corner. The heater is next to it, though it's mostly hidden by plants.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #7 
BettaBuddy101

Oh, and thanks for the nice comments :)
Old 12-07-2011, 03:14 PM   #8 
Anitax3x

Ok cool :) I'm sure if you put a couple plants in and do the right water changes you'll be fine
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:11 PM   #9 
1fish2fish

While a nerite snail has a very low bioload I wouldn't recommend adding any more species to that tank. Using a soft sponge you can manually remove the algae with water changes. Algae is normal for an established tank but some find it unsightly. Playing with your amount of lighting and water changes will reduce the algae. Also adding fast growing live plants will help.

A moss ball will do little to battle your algae problem as they don't grow fast enough to suck up all the nutrients in the water.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
7.4 gallon, betta, opinions, tank, thoughts