Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2011, 10:50 PM   #1 
erinandares

Question Homemade Food

Hey all, so I said I was going to buy this stuff a few days ago but haven't had the chance... I have to deposit a check in the bank and blah blah blah- no one cares about this part... But then I'll definitely be buying the nummy food for them by the weekend.

I'll be using the shrimp, spinach and garlic recipe. Like, a couple pieces of shrimp, mashed up with some spinach leaves, with garlic juice added. Apparently, bettas love this. But how long does it last? What is the best proportion of shrimp to spinach? I looked up a recipe that called for two shrimpies and six spinach leaves, but it didn't mention the garlic. How much garlic is too much? Can I use that clear, flavorless gelatin to bind it together some?

I have so many questions! Like how much water do I use with the gelatin? I would imagine it wouldn't have to be the consistency of actual gelatin... Ahhh. Someone please come help this chick. @_@
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:01 PM   #2 
EvilVOG

well as i just learned earlier, people have huge reservations about gel.

I don't know about this recipe... where did you get it, or did i overlook a sticky?

I was also reading in a thread earlier where someone was going out of town for two weeks and they were telling him that it was ok to not feed the fish for that long. And treatment for sick fish sometimes involve a fasting of 2 days so you should be ok till the weekend.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:16 PM   #3 
erinandares

Yeah, they still have flake food and FD bloodworms. I just want to upgrade their diet, is all. :) Annnd I found a really REALLY old post on here somewhere where OFL was talking about her shrimp-spinach-garlic recipe. So I looked it up elsewhere (not that I don't trust her as she seems to be a real authority, I just like to look at more than one source, ya know?) online and found this other aquarium forum... I can go search it or look in my history for it if you give me a few...

But that recipe was one I found in a few different places. There were other recipes, but since bettas require high protein and have different diets than say, a goldfish, I wanted a betta specific recipe. So that was the one I was going with.

This is the other forum: http://www.myaquariumclub.com/does-a....-3155417.html

And this is the other post on here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....homemade+betta
Old 12-07-2011, 11:29 PM   #4 
EvilVOG

i fully trust OFL, if she says it's cool that it's cool to me. I saw her post was pretty specific in amounts other than garlic cloves vary in size. I would avoid the gelatin, but other than that... looks good. I might even try it if i ever have spinach on hand.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:39 PM   #5 
erinandares

Hm, yeah. I had been thinking of the other one when I was panicking that I didn't know the amount of garlic... I read that OFL included it and was like "Oh..." Lol.

But some of the other questions still stand... Like how big a batch will this give me? I have six fish, so I can't really afford to be replacing all these ingredients once a week. I probably won't bother with the gelatin. Just seems unnecessary and thinking about it, I doubt they need it in their food. >.>
Old 12-07-2011, 11:54 PM   #6 
LittleBettas

OFL said "I make a batch I put it in a zip-lock bag and flatten to freeze so I can break off what I need each day"

So you can mak a larg amount to last a while :)
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:02 AM   #7 
Myates

You can double the batch if you wish.. I think the only thing you need to worry about when it comes to this is freezer burning it. But if flattened and sealed properly, it should be fine to make a double batch to freeze. If you mix it with other foods such as pellets and flakes, a regular batch should last a few weeks since you won't be feeding a whole lot at once.. mine does. (I have a couple picky ones that won't always eat it.. will only eat pellets.. grr)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:48 AM   #8 
1fish2fish

When I can get marked down shrimp I make a big batch and freeze it. It'll last for months in the freezer.

Just be aware sometimes it takes a while for the fish to take to it though.
Posted via Mobile Device
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:21 AM   #9 
Myates

I love spoiling my fish.. just wish some weren't overly picky. Guess it comes with age :P Grumpy old men they are!

But really.. 1fish I just looked at your avatar and I wanted to say;
(in a high pitch tone)
Awwww lookie at the little pudgy-wudgy fishie, such a cutie.. aww!

Don't know why, but instantly fell in love!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:25 PM   #10 
erinandares

Thanks, guys! I hope mine like it. :o I don't have any grumpy old men... Just an overly grumpy little girl. Lol. The only one I might have trouble with is Phaistos. He just.... is lame.