Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-03-2011, 04:38 PM   #1 
erinandares

Exclamation Omgosh!!!

So... i'm freaking out right now!!! I did a WC on the twenty gallon with gravel vacuuming today around noon. Well, after that I took a nap. Then I was doing laundry. Then I was surfing online.

I have no clue how long Harmonia was on Phaistos's side of the divider, but I looked over to check on my fishies around 4:30, and to my shock and mild horror, Phaistos and Harmonia are... trying to spawn. I kid you not, they were embracing beneath his always-enormous bubblenest. I ran over to look if there were any eggs, although I doubted it since she didn't really look like she had many before this, anyway. There were none in the nest, and I didn't see any on the floor of the tank.

I panicked and pulled Harmonia out of there, put her back in her own side for the time being. She looks peeved and keeps pacing the divider. I have no clue how she got over there. Please give me some kind of reassuring advice for this... odd situation. D:
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:01 PM   #2 
erinandares

Okay, okay. So I just decided screw this (no offense, but the replies were too slow for my frantic brain) and I took Harmonia out of the big tank altogether. I went and looked, and I guess my rigorous gravel vacuuming knocked the divider loose. So I fixed that. And I switched Hermes out of the ten. So now he's in between Phaistos and Spiridion, and Harmonia is with the new boy, Erasmos.

I'd like to see Phaistos try to breed with Hermes. >.>
Old 12-03-2011, 06:00 PM   #3 
fishman12

Yeah. He seems pretty determined. Separating is probably the best option.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:01 PM   #4 
erinandares

Yeah... the only problem is, I forgot how much Hermes hates the big tank. My dark blue baby turned white from stress within half an hour so I had to rearrange again. He's on the far side and Phaistos is in the middle, now. He colored up again, but he's still striped up. Harmonia is pacing the glass in the ten and shunning both me and Erasmos. She's probably mad at me. Ugh. My fish are certifiable... D8
Old 12-03-2011, 07:33 PM   #5 
cajunamy
Banned

Honestly I'd never have a male and female in a divided tank for this exact reason. They jump, they find the smallest holes to squeeze through - too risky.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:22 PM   #6 
erinandares

Yeah... I didn't forsee this being an issue, probably me being naive. I would switch her and Banana Fish so she was in the little tank, but he's in there because he needs ES. >:/ I don't want to dose a ten gallon tank with it or use it on Erasmos if he doesn't need it. So Harmonia will have to be mad at me.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:58 PM   #7 
Myates

Why I haven't done a divided tank in the last 10 years lol.. kritter keepers for the win!

Glad there wasn't any damage other then a few broken egos.. silly fish!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:32 PM   #8 
BettaMiah

If they both look okay, no wounds or anything, then I wouldn't worry. I would just be sure to from now on check the divider! :3 I know that sometimes you can bump it and a Betta can get through!

She'll get over it.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #9 
erinandares

She got so mad at me this morning. She dropped a bunch of eggs on the bottom of the new tank and I vacuumed them up because I didn't want to look at them... She's back to being herself, but only when she thinks I'm not looking. Lol. She shuns me to my face, then I sneak a look at her later and she's being a dork again. That fish... >.>

They're both fine for the most part, he has some damage to his fins, and she has a few nips taken out of her anal fin. Geez, I can't believe this happened. Ughhhhh.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:00 PM   #10 
Myates

I would be mad too if after a long time of staring at a boy I thought was good looking, finally hook up and a giant net comes and takes me away just as.. yeah. Better get on her good side :P
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote