Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #1 
ninjaofthe9seas

My Swords dont look so good...

Again I'm having an algae issue... Here are some pics of my plants... Sorry they couldnt be better. :/

and my snail has some sort of weird split in its shell... is it going to be alright?
ninjaofthe9seas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:33 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

Have you been adding any kind of fertiliser to the substrate or water column? Your gravel is inert, which means it isn't going to provide any nutrients to your plants. Swords are heavy root feeders and they do best with either the addition of root tabs, or a nutrient-rich substrate. This could be part of the reason it is being attacked by algae.

The algae could also be caused by a too long light period, incorrect wattage/bulb type or even fluctuating CO2 levels. Do you know what kind of light you have over the tank currently? That might help clear up a few things.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:03 AM   #3 
ninjaofthe9seas

My lightbulb is a florescent 9watt i believe.
Sometimes I add fertilizer to it, its the liquid stuff cause when I went to buy it they didnt have root tabs, but i made sure it was iron rich cause i read thats what the swords like. :/ But I wasnt sure if it was making the algae worse. Its weird cause it doesnt bother the Java Fern, just the Swords. Also I'm having a Cyanobacteria issue again apparently so I just started treating for that. :/ I dont understand why this keeps happening to my tank XP Maybe it is too long for the light to be on, or maybe not enough? I keep it on... probably 14 hours a day give or take. O.o is that way too much?
Old 12-07-2011, 02:17 AM   #4 
EvilVOG

what kelvin rating is the bulb? Oldfishlady, the resident planted tank expert around here reccomended to me using only 6500k bulbs for my planted tank, and a photoperiod of 12 hours.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:40 PM   #5 
ninjaofthe9seas

Looking into how to find that out.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:14 PM   #6 
Brian10962001

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaofthe9seas View Post
My lightbulb is a florescent 9watt i believe.
Sometimes I add fertilizer to it, its the liquid stuff cause when I went to buy it they didnt have root tabs, but i made sure it was iron rich cause i read thats what the swords like. :/ But I wasnt sure if it was making the algae worse. Its weird cause it doesnt bother the Java Fern, just the Swords. Also I'm having a Cyanobacteria issue again apparently so I just started treating for that. :/ I dont understand why this keeps happening to my tank XP Maybe it is too long for the light to be on, or maybe not enough? I keep it on... probably 14 hours a day give or take. O.o is that way too much?
I have 24 CFL watts on a 10 gallon, but no reflector. I was getting an algae problems big time originally. Seachem Excel cleared the diatomes but the green algae started to grow a bit too thick. I added a DIY Co2 and then I dropped the lights down to 9 hours a day (they were on 12). Also if you get algae on your plant leaves like that, rub it off with your thumb. I did this with one of my swords and my Anubias, both have looked good ever since.
Brian10962001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:16 PM   #7 
ninjaofthe9seas

I rub it off every time i clean the tank. Some of it doesnt rub off at all. That is what you see left. :P

And i'm wary about things that kill algae because a lot of them cant be used with invertebrates.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:27 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

A lot of the time cyanobacteria is caused by either a lack of circulation in certain areas of the tank, also known as 'dead spots', or low nitrate levels.

I had it growing in one of my betta tanks when I had the filter heavily baffled. Once I removed the baffle and started dosing nitrates (Seachem Nitrogen) the cyanobacteria disappeared virtually overnight.

14 hours is a fairly long light period, particularly if your tank is not heavily planted. I would suggest cutting it down to 8-12 hours if possible.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #9 
ninjaofthe9seas

There are two swords, a java fern, and a marimo... :/ I had the filter on low but i turned it up and baffled which helped for a bit. I dunno. I wish i could have someone come in here, literally look at my tank and tell me exactly what i'm doing wrong and how to fix it. XP Thanks for all the suggestions though. I really do appreciate it. :3
Old 12-09-2011, 09:37 AM   #10 
Brian10962001

Just a heads up, I dropped my lights down to two shifts 4.5 hours each a day, and the yeast in my 20oz Co2 reactor started taking off prettty well. All plants except for the Java fern showed visable growth within 48 hours! Really happy to see this, I made the CO2 reactor from a 20oz bottle with about 1/2 cup of sugar and a piece of hot dog bun, it's been running for about a week now and is doing great. I used a basic air stone and put it at the bottom below the filters "waterfall".
Brian10962001 is offline   Reply With Quote