Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #1 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Rosetail betta's

Lately I have noticed that there is a difference in opinion about Rosetail betta's. Many are misinformed about this particular tail type and it's not hard to see why when you look at the variances in type.

I found this online and wanted to share it to help educate people on rosetail betta fish. I have often stated that breeders use RT fish and that these fish are not frowned upon by serious breeders. It seems that the "hype" over RT's having bad scales ect is passed on due to misinformation. I have seen many people quote betty splendens and many view her as a wealth of knowledge on betta's. Rightly so, since she has earned her reputation with proven results in the show ring. I trust anything this woman has to say over a passed around rumor on the internet. You will have to make that choice for yourself though. In the days of copy paste, finding the truth about anything online can be a real hassle.

For me..I trust betty, she has never steered me in the wrong direction.....

http://bettysplendens.com/articles/p...articleid=1641

Quote:
ROSETAIL: This is a form that came about when breeders were striving to produce more and more branching in their HM lines to increase the likelihood of HM offspring. The result was a fish with much more than the typical 4-ray HM branching; in fact in some specimens it looked as if the branching overlapped on itself, creating a flower petal effect. This inspired the term "Rosetail". There seem to be mixed opinions about the Rosetail, but I think it is a very beautiful form and definitely worth preserving. My 2005 IBC International Convention Reserve Best of Show Male was a rosetail copper. I like breeding rosetail to HMPK, you tend to get a lot of strong Halfmoon in the resulting generations.

EXTREME ROSETAIL: This is actually a DEFORMITY, and shouldn't be bred! The extreme rosetail appears when breeders are trying too hard to increase ray branching and not paying enough attention to the strength of form. Extreme rosetails have varying degrees of expression, but one gets skilled at identifying them if enough of them are seen. For one thing, almost all Extreme Rosetails (also called "X-factor fish") are smaller than their siblings, and seem weaker. Most of them have excessive branching and bad scales (this can look like someone has "smudged" the scales) combined with small dorsals, pale coloration, and stunted ventral fins. They are ugly fish, and they pass their deformities on to future generations if you can keep them alive long enough to spawn. It is unfortunate that a lot of inexperienced breeders see these fish and think they would be good breeding prospects because they don't know any better, especially when they are very young and look like miniature HMs!. Extreme Rosetails should be avoided at all costs! They will weaken your line.

FEATHERTAIL: This is a form of Rosetail where the branching extends from the top and the bottom of the ray, creating a feather-like look. This is usually associated with Extreme Rosetail fish, but there are some feathertails that do not have the inherent weaknesses and deformities of the X-factor fish.

Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:16 PM   #2 
BeautifulBetta

Those are all so beautiful! I reaaally like the bottom boy, holy <3
You can definitely trust Victoria, she knows exactly what she's talkin about :) I was on a forum with her for a couple years a few years ago...She's an amazing woman, and has accomplished so much in the betta world :)
BeautifulBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:59 PM   #3 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBetta View Post
Those are all so beautiful! I reaaally like the bottom boy, holy <3
You can definitely trust Victoria, she knows exactly what she's talkin about :) I was on a forum with her for a couple years a few years ago...She's an amazing woman, and has accomplished so much in the betta world :)
I know I truly admire her and all that she has done for the betta world. That's why I listen to what she says LOL. I would love the opportunity to speak with her, she seems like she would be a very nice woman..
Old 11-26-2011, 07:07 PM   #4 
BeautifulBetta

It would definitely be nice to speak with her again! I'm not sure what she's up to these days, but from what I read somewhere, shes living overseas or something. :S
Old 11-26-2011, 07:11 PM   #5 
GreenTea

Yeah she lives in Sweden now, I love the articles on her website. Definitely a must read for new betta keepers and breeders gathering information! Thanks for posting these on the RT, very informative.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:52 PM   #6 
Luimeril

okay, that bottom guy is stunning. i'd get him, RT and longfin, or not.(i'm anti-longfin. xD every HM/Delta i've owned has destroyed their tails, so.... :V).

most of the RTs i've seen are what you dub "Extreme". that's why i don't like them. :V also, a user on here has lost, i think it's three RTs, from three different spawns(not hers, but petstores, i think) to simple things, which leads me to believe that they have weaker immune systems..
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:01 PM   #7 
BeautifulBetta

I heard somewhere that RT's are the result of inbreeding and such..Maybe thats why their immune systems are bad. Not sure how true that is, but thats the first thing that comes to mind lol. Its the same thing with dogs...Mutts have been proven to live longer than purebreds because of the different breeds involved.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:14 PM   #8 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
It would definitely be nice to speak with her again! I'm not sure what she's up to these days, but from what I read somewhere, shes living overseas or something. :S
Yea I read that one her site too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
Yeah she lives in Sweden now, I love the articles on her website. Definitely a must read for new betta keepers and breeders gathering information! Thanks for posting these on the RT, very informative.
I know right! She has the best site I have ever been on for betta's. I have sat and read her site for hours even taking notes LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
okay, that bottom guy is stunning. i'd get him, RT and longfin, or not.(i'm anti-longfin. xD every HM/Delta i've owned has destroyed their tails, so.... :V).
most of the RTs i've seen are what you dub "Extreme". that's why i don't like them. :V also, a user on here has lost, i think it's three RTs, from three different spawns(not hers, but petstores, i think) to simple things, which leads me to believe that they have weaker immune systems..
If EVERY single one of your long tail betta's does that, I would look into how you keep your fish. Tail biting is actually not that common and it's not that healthy either. Some breeders even consider it hereditary and say that breeding tail bitters is bad news. I wouldn't consider it coincidence that ALL of your fish do that. I am not saying you are a bad fish keeper but I have never seen someone say that all of their fish tail bite it's usually only one of them.
Good luck either way!

As for the friend with the dead RT's, one person who loses three fish is not proof to me of bad immune systems. I would blame that on bad fish keeping. I know I don't know her but my RT is VERY hardy I mean VERY hardy and I have a blue HM who I have not been able to get right since I bought him. Any overly inbred fish is gonna have problems regardless of tail structure.

Quote:
I heard somewhere that RT's are the result of inbreeding and such..Maybe thats why their immune systems are bad. Not sure how true that is, but thats the first thing that comes to mind lol. Its the same thing with dogs...Mutts have been proven to live longer than purebreds because of the different breeds involved.
What I read is that they are the result of breeders only paying attention to the rays and finnage and not form.
http://bettysplendens.com/articles/p...?articleid=945
Quote:
The quest for the perfect halfmoon by selectively breeding for branching and straight caudal edges has given rise to a new development in the Betta splendens tailforms - the Rosetail.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #9 
EvilVOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
which leads me to believe that they have weaker immune systems..
Altho it's not necessarily what's happening in that case, any "interesting newer breed" is going to be more susceptible to disease and genetic issues resulting from the heavy inbreeding that resulted in that interesting new breed. While it may be the keeper at fault, the fish may have been extra sensitive as well.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

It's fish like this that are the reason I'll never breed rose tails. Yes you may get a few pretty ones... but at what cost to the rest of the spawn??
Attached Images

1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote