Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2011, 12:55 AM   #1 
Bim0513

Exclamation Just a quick question.

I just lost my beloved betta Bronco. So I bought 2 bettas today and I have a tank with a divider. Twice already the larger of the two has jumped the divider. I took out quite a bit of water but I'm scared to sleep on them. How high can my betta jump? And how in the world do they know whats on the other end of the divider. I just want them to be happy :( lol
Bim0513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:54 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

I've seen my bettas jump at least an inch from the water. After food in my fingers, of course. In your case it might be best to remove one of the bettas from the tank and place him in a temp home (bowl or something) until you can figure out how to stop the large one from jumping.

One idea I have seen is to raise the divider up to reach the top of the hood. Another idea is to place a piece of craft canvas perpendicular to the divider at the top. You might have to cement it there with aquarium silicon, tho.

Hope this helps,
Izzy
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:52 AM   #3 
Myates

^ has some good advice, add length to the top of the divider so it's an inch above the water, lower the water level an inch or two and that should be tall enough- the T can be good too, just make sure it goes out far enough, don't want one to get stuck on it while trying to jump.

Make sure the sides are flush up against the tank walls as well as on the bottom- sometimes even the smallest of a hole is all they need.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:41 AM   #4 
Bim0513

Thanks everyone! I did lower the water level and it hasnt happened since. But I think my divider may show into the other side by just a Centimeter, and I catch them in that area kinda looking alot. Im not sure if they see eachother cause they show no sign of aggression and they dont flare out. I may make my own divider or buy a new one that fits better. Stupid people who make the tanks should have known all of this before they advertise the divider. :)
Old 12-08-2011, 01:43 PM   #5 
thekoimaiden

Glad to hear they didn't jump in the night.

I highly recommend making your own divider. This is the tutorial I used to make mine. It is not difficult at all. I had a similar problem of my divider not fitting well enough. It is cheaper and I think it works much better than the thing I bought from petsmart.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:59 PM   #6 
Bim0513

I may have to look into that, Ive also turned their tank light off at night, I never did that with Bronco but I read on here that they dont mind the dark so I think that keeps them from jumping at night on account that they cant see. Thanks for all your help. :D
Old 12-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #7 
bettafish15

Yes, its CRUCIAL that you turn the tank light off at night! That would be part of the reason Bronco died. They NEED a day/night cycle just like we do!
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #8 
Bim0513

Really? I figured they could sleep in light. We have another one we got a couple months ago who always has his light on.. is it too late to start turning it off at night? and Bronco I think had an infection cause his color change and problems swimming. At first I thought swim bladder but no anti bacterial or anti fungal worked so I'm not sure.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:11 PM   #9 
bettafish15

Keeping the light on makes them stressed, so they are more susceptible to diseases. It's not too late to start turning the light off at night. It does them no good. Do you have a heater in the tank?
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #10 
Bim0513

Ok ill start doing that then thanks. And I had one but it busted. I check the temp daily though and it stays fairly warm at about 79-80 but I will be getting another one lol

Tags
divider, jumping, two fish